Compact camera for biking

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Compact camera for biking
  • STATO

Hi all,

I used to have a nice little cannon IXUS 70 and it was great for easy use on the bike and I always liked the pics. It broke a few years ago and due to camera phones and go-pros I never replaced it.

Now though im finding I just dont take as many photos. Phone is precious (expensive) so its usually tucked away in a bag so I dont use it while riding, generally hard to use one handed and they are poor without a physical zoom anyway. Go-pro on the bars so at hand and ive been happy enough with the selfies and basic I-was-here shots, but its crap for taking photos of anything specific such as the deer that was stood on the track in front of me last week, might as well have not taken a pic.

So im thinking I want a basic easy to use compact camera to use on the bike and just generally on me most of the time, keeping it in a pocket or top-tube bag when on the bike. Id just get another IXUS 70 from ebay but at ~£50 for a 10yr old £100rrp camera im guessing there will be something newer for a good price I could consider.

Requirements;
    Compact enough to keep in a pocket,
    Not overly delicate but doesn’t need to be bullet-proof (the metal case of the 70 was good),
    Obvious easy buttons so usable one handed and with gloves, i.e. turn on, use the zoom and take a photo, maybe even use the menu buttons. Again, like I can with the 70, so probably no touchscreen either.
    Maybe Bluetooth or Wifi to upload or connect to iPhone?

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

IXUS 70

scotroutes

I use a Lumix TZ40. Has what you want plus a GPS (handy for track surveys)

I bought one of these for Mrs MR and wasn’t overly impressed tbh, tendency to blow out the highlights. It is dinky, cheap and portable though. I too have enjoyed much better results with an older TZ. Much better IQ, bigger optical zoom, better controls and much nicer lens.

Olympus TG4 – you can use underwater on holiday too. Not cheap, but a decent little camera. Has wifi also and shoots RAW iirc

STATO

Olympus TG4 – you can use underwater on holiday too. Not cheap, but a decent little camera.

Not cheap? £300! Thanks though, it does spec well, and looks hideous to boot 😆 Dont really need that toughness or waterproofness as have the gopro for that.

I don’t think it looks too bad considering some of the other ‘tough’ cameras out there, but fair enough on the other points

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

A friend trail runs with a Panasonic GM[whatever the latest model is]. It’s a bit pricy but the shots he takes of the Ochills are amazing.

Premier Icon Sundayjumper
    Subscriber

Just buy whatever the current equivalent IXUS is ? I’ve always been a Canon fan.

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

I used to have a Sony DSC-TX20 and it was perfect. Waterproof but not bulky and good resolution. Unfortunately it broke on holiday so I’m looking to replace it. If you can find one somewhere it’s worth a look…

Now that’s ugly ^^ 😉

STATO

Now that’s ugly ^^

😆

Just buy whatever the current equivalent IXUS is ? I’ve always been a Canon fan.

Certainly an option, but id seen a few that had different button and menu layouts that didn’t feel great in the hand.

I’ll pop into a camera shop (or currys) to try a few out.

Thanks all!

dovebiker

Another Sony TX20 fan – point and shoot, or otherwise plenty of other modes if needed. Light and small enough to be unobtrusive in an accessible pocket rather than too heavy and buried in a backpack.

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

Ugly? You look through it, not at it… 🙂

It could be worse…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Compact camera for biking’ is closed to new replies.