• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ernie.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • commuting…..in the dark!!
  • ton

that sneeked up on us didn’t it, bastard………. 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it last night, it was a bit novel! Particularly combined with the warmer than average weather!

richmtb

I quite like riding home in the dark.

With good lights and some reflectives I think it safer than during the daylight too

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not half, couldn’t believe it last night. I didn’t ride on Friday but when I got home on Thursday about 6:30pm I just needed lights for being seen. It was dark in the morning for a bit but getting light.

Last night was a shock leaving the office in the dark at 5pm. Part of my commute is 12 miles across a moor road, didn’t see anyone else riding last night the whole way, felt very lonely.

I like it to, just wasn’t expecting it the whole way!

njee20
    Free Member

Not half, couldn’t believe it last night. I didn’t ride on Friday but when I got home on Thursday about 6:30pm I just needed lights for being seen. It was dark in the morning for a bit but getting light.

Had that exact discussion yesterday, I swear on Friday it was “a bit dark” at 6:30, and yet yesterday, despite being a really sunny day it was a black as a black man’s cape at 5!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well it was pissing it down here, but still I didn’t expect proper dark at 5pm.

jeffl

Yep lovely ride into work this morning. Now dark and pissing it down. Good job I gave the bike some love last night so it now shifts up without the need to overshift and the big bastard light is now installed.

toby1

Well the clock change is always a give-away. I sit by a window at work so perhaps I monitor light levels a little more than most. It did feel like the middle of the light last night though – wind was blowing the right way though, fingers crossed it is again tonight too 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Well the clock change is always a give-away. I sit by a window at work so perhaps I monitor light levels a little more than most

Yes, but the point was it seemed to make more than an hours difference! I’m also a window adjacent light monitor!

higthepig
    Free Member

I’m enjoying it so far this week, although no doubt the novelty will soon wear off when trying to strap lights to bike with numb fingers, also think i’m given more room by passing cars due to bright lights and reflective gear, suppose that will change when they get used to it.

ski
    Free Member

My commute starts at 6am, so it was nice to be able to see further than my lights this week, now looking forward to the first icy slide on leaves 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Make sure you wear head to toe black, and have the shittiest lights ever.

That appears to be the best advice looking at riders in my area

TiRed

Nope – been commuting home in the dark for over a month. Club rides too at 7PM. Strada and Exposure give 800 lumens on the road.

Mornings are always daylight for me.

cubist
    Free Member

Or maybe arm yourself with a helmet mounted light like a searchlight from a WW2 POW camp and shine it in the eyes of every other cycling commuter.

cubist
    Free Member

Sorry. I needed to get that off my chest. I feel much more relaxed now. Thanks for listening.

TiRed

Mine are both bar-mounted and both point down at the road rather than into oncoming traffic, thanks. The topeak helmet LED is unlikely to be too blinding, when I can be bothered to use it. Joystick is a great pothole spotter.

Black with four rear lights. Morning commute was too hot by far, hoping for something cooler in a couple of hours.

cubist
    Free Member

That wasn’t aimed at anyone on here. Just wound me up as it happened three times tonight. Guess its due to the influx of cheap ultra bright lights.

miketually
    Free Member

I work until 8:30pm on Thursdays, so don’t get taken by surprise.

Moe

My first commute for over a month in the morning as I’ve been on leave. Downside is the A11 is closed till six, I leave home at 4.30 and my route will be getting used by all the diverted traffic. I had been looking forward to riding without a backpack having fitted a rack to my road commuter but plan B is roll out the 29er and reroute offroad across the forest …. bummer eh? 😀

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve had dark super black mornings for about 4 weeks up here in the northerly wilds.
    Deffo feels like more space with rear smarts flashing and reflective vest.
    Commute home at 16.00 and full lights needed by 17.00….just hope I dinnae get a puncture on the C roads…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

515am – 630am
    845pm – 10pm

been dark ages

ernie

I too find it safer riding in the dark. I don;t think car drivers are able to judge a cyclist well in the dark and therefore don’t aim to ‘squeeze’ past. had two near misses in the past two days, both in broad day light. Started using joystick on the helmet which seems to give the right balance between pot hole spotting and not blinding everything else on the road.
    Not sure if the ride home tomorrow in the rain will be quite so welcome.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘commuting…..in the dark!!’ is closed to new replies.