Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuting with Panniers – which side?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Just got a bargain on a rack and bags for stuffing my pants and packed lunch in for getting to work. Delighted to be finally getting away from backpacks and courier bags.

Rarely am I going to need both bags so on a normal day which side would folk recommend if only one is in use? I think I’ve heard arguments for keeping away from the drivetrain grime and also argumnets for putting the bag on that side to ward away motors, but what are peoples experiences/thoughts?

jim
    Free Member

I always go for the drivetrain side in the vague hope that it’ll make drivers give me a bit more breathing space.

Will full guards on my ss roadrat it doesn’t noticeably dirtier than anything else.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I normally start on the right, and then move to the left.

gtkid
    Free Member

rarely ever used just the one, nearly always two, (just liked the better balance) but if one, then drive train side.

nbt

WhI had panniers, I always used the drivetrain side to give me more bulk and reflective stuff for the idiots in cars. HOwever it can cause a bit of imbalance, more noticeable when wheeling the bike around, I’ve no got a rack bag as I only need to carry sarnies, and a couple of tools really.

BigJohn

Mine’s on the left, but that’s because the R/H one’s on Mrs BigJohn’s shopper, and that’s the one that the Balti got spilt in during a drunken run home from the curry house with a takeaway, after the pub.

druidh
    Free Member

Left is definitely easier for balance. Right makes the bikes “wider” for traffic.

pennine
    Free Member

Left for me. Just seems better for balance for some reason. Probably just me though

avdave2

I’ve always split the load between two whether I need the room or not. I tend to keep the things I hope not to need like tools tubes and waterproofs in one and the food and clothes in the other. Also you may need to carry home more than you take in (think Johhny Cash – One Piece At A Time). It’s also the best way to make the bike look wider to traffic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuting with Panniers – which side?’ is closed to new replies.