Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Commuting to Aberdeen AND Edinburgh?
  • keiapple
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have a job at Aberdeen Uni, husband has a job in Edinburgh around Gogaburn. Do you think it is feasible for us to live somewhere in between and commute to both sides? Has anyone been in this situation?

Northwind

Do you own a helicopter? I suppose it’d be possible to stay at Dundee or around there but that’s still a beast of a commute even in ideal conditions, I’d rather eat my own head.

I hear there are some half-decent universities in Edinburgh 😉 Or, he could live through the week with the RBOS hermit at gogarburn.

piemonster

I’d probably do that from Dundee by train.

Although realistically, I just wouldn’t do it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Not a chance. Gogarburn effectively rules out the train as an option – even after the tram is commissioned.

TheFlyingOx

Neither are fun places to try to arrive at during the morning rush, but if it were a non-negotiable situation re: jobs then I’d be living south end of Fife. Hubby’s drive to Gogarburn will be the least bad it can be, and you can nip on the train from Inverkeithing or Kirkcaldy.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ugh.

Someone needs to find a new job. Probably not what you want to hear. I live in Edinburgh, used to stay in Fife – knoe people who commute these routes – universally they hate it. A proper life-ruiner.

keiapple
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. We too realise that our situation is quite difficult. But jobs are really hard to come by these days so probably have to be in the situation for a while. And no we sadly do not own a helicopter 🙂

In the end we agree to live close to husband’s job. I have some leeway to work from home and do not have to commute everyday. We are thinking about the Haymarket area: close to train station with train to Aberdeen and seem there is a tram (expected to run second quarter this year). Is this area safe to live? Can I ask if anyone has any advice regarding this area and the tram? Thanks a lot.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Colleague at my old job used to live in Dundee, our office was very near Gogarburn. He didn’t find it too bad but he worked at home 2-3 days a week.

Liftman

Don’t hold your breath waiting for the trams

bigjim

Some nice places to live near Haymarket for sure. Trams will be appearing soon but no idea about getting to gogarburn, I’d sooner change jobs than work out there I think!

DrJ

Edinburgh-Aberdeen must be the slowest train route in the entire universe 🙁

seosamh77
    Free Member

about 2.5 hours(total) every day on a train. no chance for me!

kcal

@DrJ – it’s superfast compared to Aberdeen-Inverness though.

andrewh
    Free Member

there is a tram (expected to run second quarter this year).

AlasdairMc

Not a chance. Gogarburn effectively rules out the train as an option – even after the tram is commissioned.

Depends how long you can wait. It was part of the plan to build an interchange station at Gogar between the tram and train lines where they cross (near the Gyle roundabout). Wikipedia has December 2016 as the opening date, although given the history of this project it might be quicker to take a flying car instead…

somouk
    Free Member

A friend lives in Aberdeen and works in Livi 3 days a week, he opts to travel down and stay as the commute is a killer.

Northwind

Out of curiosity, what field of uni work? I could have a nose around if you like…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Commuting to Aberdeen AND Edinburgh?’ is closed to new replies.