Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • commuting tales
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

So, what’s the perceived etiquette around approaching a red light that changes to green before you actually reach the ASL/come to a halt, and there’s already a cyclist sat in the box waiting? do you stop to let him/her set off, or do you just keep going around them?
    I did the latter this morning on my commute and he yelled after me “excuse me, you cut me up” (I was nowhere near him when I went through the junction and we were both going straight on anyway). I don’t think I did anything wrong, and reckon he was being a touch too sensitive.
    It wasn’t one of you lot, was it?!

allthepies
    Free Member

Just yell “Straaaaavvvvvvvvaaaaaa”

binners

People stop at red lights when commuting? 😉

Bazz

A green light is a green light, i just try and read the situation and make sure that i pass safely, i’ve been on both sides of the coin and have no problem with overtaking or being overtaken. I think maybe the fellow on your commute this morning was maybe of a nervous disposition.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Ha! it’s not like i race anyone on my commute or anything, i just didn’t see any need for me to stop and unclip just so he could set off from the lights first. he saw it differently. i’m not annoyed about it though, just thought that he was being a tad precious about the whole thing.

D0NK

if there’s plenty of room to go around I probably would do the same but if the rider complains like in this case I guess you can only apologise. After all we get a bit narky when drivers give us less room than we consider safe, im sure plenty of drivers think they are giving us plenty if room when most cyclists would disagree.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Seems a bit sensitive to me, you probably insulted his masculinity by going past him. If that had been me I would have chased you down as a bit of interval training.

GrahamS

Seems a bit sensitive to me

+1

..but I’d also say if you are approaching lights that might change before you get to the ASL then you might be safer staying with the traffic in case they change while you are mid-filter.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

we were both on singlespeeds. he clearly had a bigger gear than me cos his cadence was similar to mine but he caught and passed me fairly quickly.
    there’s no chance i passed too close to him at the light though. i was in the centre of the lane when i went through the junction, he was right into the curb.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘commuting tales’ is closed to new replies.