Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • commuting on the snow mtb or cx?
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

My car is out of action and we have 5cm or so of snow, so for tomorrows comute I have the choice between a semi slicked canti cx bike (my normal commuter) or my brother inlaws HT that I’ve never ridden before, I reckon HT, thoughts?

Saratoga
    Free Member

My MTB comes out for snowy commutes; lots of grip with mud tyres as long as there isn’t lots of sheet ice. Plus I can take a short-cut through the forest. 🙂

chriswilk
    Free Member

CX is good in the snow, but maybe not the semi sliks.
    HT gives a bit more confidence if it’s icy – a bit more tyre contact and a more upright, responsive handling position to correct for the sliding

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Well I brought the mtb in this morning, I also took the longer offroad route. Hardwork but didn’t take as long as I thought, 12mile in 1hr 7min… pretty good start to the day:

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

lol DONT USE SLICKS ON SNOW, turst me i tried and failed badly 😀

I have marathon plus tyres on my HT commuter so they not even proper slicks, they are 2.1s and they were all over the place. 0 grip.

I tried some basic MTB tyres and still it was slippy, the ice is a killer out there atm with the slush.

I seen quite a few peeps with their knobby tyres and they seem to work wonders in the snow, ie minion ones ect.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘commuting on the snow mtb or cx?’ is closed to new replies.