Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Commuting – My first six months
  • willard

I’ve just celebrated six months of commuting to work on two wheels and, whilst I have enjoyed a lot of things about this experience, there are some things I have thought worth mentioning. I would put money of most people here knowing them though.

1. Despite wearing high viz, as a cyclist you are practically invisible. Drivers will not see you and will accidentally try to kill you or, worst case, deliberately try to squeeze you out. I think about once a month I have a near miss.

2. Regular maintenance is essential. Getting let down by your bike is a pain in the arse if you rely on it to get to work, so plan on how and when you will keep it working. Small things can lead to failures and this can lead to bad things, like injury or having to use public transport, which is a horrible thing filled with germ-laden people.

3. Mud guards are worth it. It doesn’t matter that they look uncool, roads get wet and, if you do not have them, so will your arse, your back and whatever you are carrying to and from work.

4. There is no ‘one tyre to rule them all’, you just have to choose something you are comfortable with as much as possible.

5. Commuting by bike is fun, even when it is raining. Unless someone trues to kill me.

winston
    Free Member

you missed out:

6. It keeps you fit and allows an intake of calories that would rival a small infantry regiment

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I largely concur.  I’ve restarted biking in the last 6 weeks as I landed a job that meant I could ride again.  I used to commute into London for 2 years by bike 15 miles each way so its been quite interesting to do a ten mile journey technically heading out of the centre.

My only addition to the thread is that the publicity around 1.5 metres overtaking clearly bloody failed.  So many cars are close enough to touch coming past.  so annoying, everything changes and everything stays the same.

sirromj

7. Rushing to get to work everyday is not sustainable.

mahowlett
    Free Member

On point 1, the reason most cyclists aren’t seen isn’t because they aren’t wearing hiz viz, most of the time that makes sod all difference, the real reason you don’t get seen most of the time is because you aren’t where the driver is looking, I overtake most cyclists without changing my position on the road as most of them ride too close to the kerb. You should be far enough out that if you make a left turn signal and there’s someone standing on the kerb, you won’t hit em. you’ll get fewer people attempting overtakes where there really isn’t enough room. You may get beeped at a bit more, but if you get beeped at it means not only did they see you, they even had enough time to react :), only after considering those 2 points do you look at whether you should change your riding behaviour. If you can still get hold of John Frankin’s cyclecraft book I thoroughly recommend it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

7. It increases your range of insults

This morning’s ride featured ****, douchebag and jerkoff. Honestly, there really are some simpletons in charge of vehicles.

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a lot you can do to help with the road safety situation. Choose where and when you ride is the main one (where possible) and don’t try to ride like a car driver. Be prepared to give way everywhere, even when you have right of way, and make sure every driver has seen you. Make eye contact, show your face to drivers and only proceed when you are sure they’ve seen you.

Take primary position to stop them squeezing you on narrow bits. But when you move out, look behind you and show your face – it makes them realise you are a person and they back off.

Even if you aren’t moving out but someone is trying to squeeze you, show your face and try and make eye contact. They usually back off.

fasthaggis

OP

You forgot..

8/ Sunsets,sunrises and being tuned in to all the seasons.

9/ Eliminate all faff or it will spoil your day.

10/ Choose the best route option and enjoy that head time.

fossy

Given up commuting, too many broken bones from idiot drivers.  You are doing well not to have been knocked off yet.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Hey molgrips what do you mean about ‘not riding like a car driver’? not sure I agree with you or not. 🙂 In terms of road positioning, especially at roundabouts and junctions that’s exactly what I would do, choose exactly the lane and position you would if you were in a car…

fasthaggis

That’s a shame fossy.

Of course it absolutely depends where and what time your commute is.

I never take for granted how lucky I am with my routes.

sockpuppet

I overtake most cyclists without changing my position on the road as most of them ride too close to the kerb.

Please don’t do this: give them the space they deserve, the space you would give them if they were riding out where they should. They might wobble or deviate from their path and you’ve *chosen* to eat into their safety margin. After all you’ve identified their position as compromised: any change in position can’t be towards the curb short of bunny hopping. They’re limited to moving out if they need to move.

You could always “give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car” after all. I sure I’ve seen that written down somewhere…

RustyNissanPrairie

Your point #1 – after 15 years of continual close passes and people seeing you but thinking “**** em” and pulling out regardless and the continued aggro and stress you realise it just isn’t worth it.

It’s still you on your own commute – you won’t have persuaded other people to ride their bikes. You haven’t changed the world but you are lucky to have survived this long without accident so you have enough of it and start driving again.

mahowlett
    Free Member

yeah sorry, that sentence needed a ‘could’, I don’t actually pass that close to them, the amount of potholes round here, you wouldn’t want to risk being that close to anyone in case they have swerve round one.

DezB
    Free Member

Forgot –

11/ NOT being in a car in the rush hour is a million times better than being in a car in the rush hour.

This is probably why drivers are so impatient with cyclists (they have to blame somebody), but **** em. Only my failing body will stop me riding to work 😆

mahowlett
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie that’s a pity, I still get all that, and you still get people who drive like dicks even when you are in a car. What I try to remember is that 99% of the time it’s not actually malicious, they are just selfish and unaware, and the proportion of close passes that are more then scary and actually close to hitting you is tiny, it’s just that people seem to give you as much room as they give a parked car rather then a moving one. As for aggro and stress, that’s absolutely %100 under your control, you just have to learn to take a breath and get on with your journey (and I miserably fail at that on a reasonably regular basis).

zippykona

Mr Smug here with an off road commute.

fasthaggis

Forgot –

11/ NOT being in a car in the rush hour is a million times better than being in a car in the rush hour.

..unless one of your legs goes wonky and you fall in to a hedge* 😉 😛

* Hope you are feeling tip top Dez ..

DezB
    Free Member

I still didn’t have to drive 😀

(and now I’m not allowed to!)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Your point #1 – after 15 years of continual close passes and people seeing you but thinking “**** em” and pulling out regardless and the continued aggro and stress you realise it just isn’t worth it.

16 years here between Northampton and Milton Keynes.  The traffic has gotten so bad it usually takes 60 minutes to drive and less than 10 minutes longer to ride it.  Dickhead drivers actually increase my resolve to carry on riding.

andytherocketeer

12 – clocks going back in October makes the remaining commonsense of other road, pavement and pedestrian/cycle crossing users totally disappear. in particular, pedestrians.

clearly those really bright glowing things that light the road ahead of the mechanised commuting vehicle are more invisible than totally dressed in black ninjas that are about to miss their bus (especially those where the bus is every 7 minutes). while I loathe converse shoes that were fashion in the 70’s, I do appreciate the fact that they have some white on them which makes students visible after lectures.

think that’s true regardless of method of commute. i’ve certainly used quite an array of insults when walking to work, getting the train, cycling or driving.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hey molgrips what do you mean about ‘not riding like a car driver’?

I mean not expecting other drivers to give you your space on the road.  For example, if I enter a roundabout in a car I usually expect the drivers to my left to see me and give way.  On a bike, I expect them not to and hold off until I know they’ve seen me or are stopping.  And I give the front of their car a wide berth.

ton

been cycle commuting for 36 years now.    sound like a **** age that.

roads have got loads busier.

drivers have got far worse

bikes have got loads better

schwalbe tyres rool ok

free miles make for loads of smiles.

crazy-legs

This morning’s ride featured ****, douchebag and jerkoff. Honestly, there really are some simpletons in charge of vehicles.

Clocks have gone back. You get about 2 weeks of total utter insanity on the roads around this time of year as the weather gets worse, people find themselves driving in the dark for the first time since about March… The number of cars I’ve seen without lights on or with only one working headlight this week has been incredible.

The big thing to watch out for is misted up windows. Cold mornings + people in a rush = fogged / frozen windows, limited visibility, people driving with one hand while trying to wipe a window clear with the other…

ton

I have 3 x 10 miles routes in that I rotate between. devised to miss most traffic.

2 take in long sections of the canal and a couple of bike paths. the other takes in Leeds Urban Bike park, with a nice lap of the woodland trail.  pretty cool route in that way.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The number of cars I’ve seen without lights on or with only one working headlight this week has been incredible.

Headlight out?  Easy, stick your fog lights on to compensate.

The big thing to watch out for is misted up windows. Cold mornings + people in a rush = fogged / frozen windows, limited visibility, people driving with one hand while trying to wipe a window clear with the other…

I saw plenty of these on Tuesday morning.  Imagine being in such a rush to get somewhere you put your own safety at risk by not clearing your windscreen.  Madness.

cb200
    Free Member

I’ve been cycling to work (Nottingham) for about two years now. I did have a lovely ride which was 70% off road, but a change of job means a 7 mile each way road route. A few observations:

– I’m healthier. I’ve lost weight and have increased fitness.

– I only put fuel in the car every seven weeks or so

– I feel energised when I get to work.

– If there were no hills I’d get bored

– I have never been beeped by a motorist. I’ve had a few close passes but no offs or even near misses so far. I like to cycle as if I’m driving; stop at lights, signal, look before manoeuvring, only filter if the traffic is stationary, although I do exercise extra caution and not assume I’ve been seen.

– Motorists tend to see a bike and think (possibly subconsciously) “must overtake” regardless of whether or not they have anything to gain.

Having written this, I’ll probably get run over tomorrow 😁😢

rydster
    Free Member

This is probably why drivers are so impatient with cyclists (they have to blame somebody), but **** em. Only my failing body will stop me riding to work

It’s because they sit in traffic a lot despite being sold the ‘freedom’ of their expensive car. It makes them seethe with rage inside and cyclists are an easy target because they appear to ‘get in the way’ of motorists who for decades have been the priority for transport policy.

Commuting to work by car basically makes you stressed and angry. I’ve done it I know. I quickly found myself cursing other motorists and getting angry. It brought out the worst in me and I didn’t like it.

I’ve got a 14 mile cycle commute next year when I go back to study. Looking fwd to it cos most of it is on a bridleway and canal path.

MoreCashThanDash

Been commuting between 1-5 days a week for 15 years now, into Derby or Nottingham.

Never been hit by a vehicle.

Close shave about once a month is about the norm.

In those 15 years, only twice have I genuinely thought a driver had deliberately gone for me.

In that time, I’ve seen more cyclists commuting, loads more women commuting, and driving has, on the whole, got slightly better.

Despite all those miles I’ve ridden, I had the chance to do Bikeability Level 3 earlier this year, on the back of some ride leader training I was doing. You may think you know how and where to ride, what is primary etc, but a good instructor reminded me of a lot I’d forgotten/got lazy about, and my road riding since that course has got a lot safer as a result.

feed

Cycle commuting about 10 yrs now 4 days a week in to Dublin city center which is a bit manic and bike unfriendly. No incidents (touch wood). I think 25 yrs or commuting by motorbike has improved my 6th sense. I ride agressively as in I demand my road space. Also riding a bit erratically gets you noticed by drivers. My personal experience is that day glo gets you ignored. I think drivers subconsciously see you as not a threat, as in you’re sensible. Running a strong light  during daytime helps with standing out but the best policy is to assume that everyone is going to do something stupid. Amazing how many times you’ll be correct.

willard

I’ve only come of the once and that was down to a mechanical issue… The chain jumped off a worn set of gears on the rear and I ended up off the bike and sliding into a parked motorbike. Hilarious, especially when the alarm on that went off and people saw me lying under the wheel.

The scrapes healed up well enough (and the parts got swapped out) and I await my next near miss. I have just gone over to using a helmet light as well as the bar mounted one though, Hopefully the Exposure Equinox will make it easier to see me.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There is only one true insult, in response to ANYTHING a driver comes out with. And it works every time. Even if it doesn’t make sense, they are just bemused.

‘THAT’S WHAT YER MAW SAID AFTER I….’

finephilly
    Free Member

I used to have a great commute – 13 miles on a towpath.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Commuting – My first six months’ is closed to new replies.