Commuting lunch suggestions

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Commuting lunch suggestions
  • holmes81

Fellow stwers, please help!

When I commute to work
    I need some suggestions for lunches.
    I think the pasta and rice has achieved 2 things:
    Added to the extra bulk I’m carrying
    Made me bored of rice and pasta.

So any other suggestions greatly received other than sandwiches!

Thanks

Premier Icon beej
    Subscriber

Interesting salads with dressing in a little jar to add later. Chicken, bacon, feta, avocado, leaves, that kind of thing.
    Posh instant noodles/rice pots
    Quiche
    Beef Wellington

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

Lasagne, make extra and eat the next day at lunch. Always better the second day. I know its pasta but its goood!

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Salads are the only lunch I’ve consistently taken in. Half a tin of lentils or beans or chickpeas with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper and herbs; red pepper, baby sweetcorn and sugarsnap peas on top, plus some rocket.

holmes81

Looks like salads ftw then.

I guess just vary them with dressings and toppings to them.

Ta.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Cake.
    Salad and couscous
    BBq leftovers are always a win.
    Tortilla wraps with filling of choice.
    Cake.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

sandwiches

shermer75

Prawn cocktail ftw

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Sainsbury’s Dark Chocalte Chip Digestives – superior to Tesco’s btw. Recently also discovered Belgian Dark Chocolate Covered Organic Rice thins.

brooess

If you have access to a microwave then a tin of soup doesn’t weigh too much. Oatcakes and butter and maybe a tin of tuna too

Keep some homing pigeons at work, then take one home with you and set it loose when you head off for work, pigeon meets you at work and makes lovely pigeon pie.

Commuting lunch, sorted! 😆

brooess

^^ Confused. Are these HOMING pigeons or WORKING pigeons?

I had the same problem. I’ve been using a meal replacement shake (USN Diet Fuel) with some raw veg and some fruit. Normally the little bag of veg is carrot, pepper, cherry tomatos and sugar snap peas. It keeps me going all day and I have lost loads of weight, and most importantly I haven’t been hungry.

If I was looking to maintain weight then I’d try a few different cous cous recipes. You can add loads of stuff to it and stop it from getting boring. But prob avoid the white bread/pasta.

Try this. It’s delicious.

My mrs loves those “fancy” soups.

thomthumb

I guess just vary them with dressings and toppings to them.

this is telling: you will probably get bored.

Learn to make some interesting salads. I like salad love. other books available i’m sure

Premier Icon gummikuh
    Subscriber

I tend to go for chicken salad in a tight wrap.
    Peppers, houmous and rocket.
    Bread sandwiches give me heartburn and the contents will fall out when cycling.
    I am also partial to a hard boiled egg and a small tub of mixed fruit and nuts to nibble on at my desk.
    Always have an apple a day.
    I also would say a soft sandwich case is better as it doesn’t have corners digging into my back.

mrlugz

I tend to have a mixed grill in a 1/2 stottie early on in the day. Lunch then not required. 🙂

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Then for the afternoons entertainment….

That cheesy beano is lacking a soupçon of broon sauce.

ico86

I think the only solution is to mix it up a bit. if you always have pasta and rice, you get bored. just salads? you get bored.. rince & repeat.
    I tend to default back to sandwiches when I’ve not made anything else however if you can put in an hour or so of prep once a week you can usually load the fridge up with some goodies that’ll last a few days, then make up sandwiches or whatever the rest of the time.
    Some things I tend to cook up are:
    Veggie and bean fajhita kind of things, dead easy to chop and roast up some veggies with smoked paprika, cumin, corriander and cayenne pepper. add whatever toppings you like and wrap that sheet up.
    mini pies, started from making the ones in the ‘feedzone portables’ book (well worth a look, loads of quality ride food in there) and improvised my own depending on whats in the fridge. 1 hour = 12x mini pies made in a muffin tin, whats not to like?
    My salads are usually bacon or chicken based with cheese/fruit/seeds/dressing added. nothing too flash but that salad love book looks pretty good.
    leftover bits and peices from dinner dont need to be eaten as they were last night, wrap it up, pop some salad in there, or a prinkle of feta cheese.. maybe some houmous if you have some kicking about. whatever is in your fridge that’ll taste nice. We usually try to cook extra most evenings so we have a choice of lunch fodder.

Dont get me wrong, I still end up with sandwiches a couple of days a week however its the non sandwich days that I look forward to. today = 2x mini pies filled with thai green curry from last night mixed with leftover rice to stop them gooing everywhere

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

One of the big advantages of cycling is that you can eat loads, all day long, and not get too porky

I buy 2 lunches from the canteen. As well as breakfast, and snacks in the morning and afternoon. Plus dinner and dessert obviously!

(hurt my neck at the weekend and haven’t been able to ride at all this week, very disappointing)

Gary_M

So any other suggestions greatly received other than sandwiches!

I used to take things like pasta, couscous and savoury rice with a bit of tuna/mackerel and some beans thrown in. I generally just take sandwiches now as that’s all I need.

No need to take a huge lunch just because I’m riding a bike home.

One of the big advantages of cycling is that you can eat loads, all day long, and not get too porky

I buy 2 lunches from the canteen. As well as breakfast, and snacks in the morning and afternoon. Plus dinner and dessert obviously!

How many miles do you ride that warrants such over consumption. Genuinely interested as I often hear this ‘I commute on a bike, I’m hungry all the time’ thing.

disco_stu

Looking at distance covered vs weight on Endomondo I have to do in the region of 500km for weight to start dropping off, cutting out beer/bread/pasta/rice would drop this right down.

mogrim

Today it’s curry from a tupperware container. And a yoghourt, a fancy Greek style one no less 8)

thomthumb

not me 🙁 I only have to think about cake to put on weight.

Omlette works really well if you;ve a microwave to heat it up.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Just alternate the following on each day.

Mon: Pork Pie
    Tue: Scotch Egg
    Wed: Sausage Roll
    Thu: Steak slice
    Fri: Gala Pie (go crazy, it’s nearly the weekend).

My flask has leaked all over my clean clothes again. Not food, but water that gets trapped when I wash it.
    Any suggestions? Needs to carry about a litre of veggie slop, dishwasherable, preferably (moon on a stick) flat rather than cylindrical to be more comfortable in a rucksack. No microwave at work, don’t really want one either.

Foodwise, veggie slop ftw. TOday is puy lentils, potatoes, spinach, about 750cals-worth. I don’t get home til 9.30 today and that’ll see me through.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

I like homemade burgers cold. Chorizo beefburgers and lamb with feta and olives are particularly nice.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

today i had a baked sweet potato with wilted spinach, sauteed portobello mushrooms, fresh chillies and this mixed bean salad type thingy.

at the beginning of the week, i get a bag of sweet potatoes and bake them all, then shove them in the fridge to use all week with various enhancements.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Commuting lunch suggestions’ is closed to new replies.