Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commuting into Central Manchester from the Leeds side…best way in please?
  • rockhopper70

My m62 junction to join at is junction 22 but I need to get into Manchester and park in the Arndale car park. I’ve had a couple of runs in now, using various routes perhaps by error rather than trial, and it’s a nightmare.
    Could anyone recommend a good, preferably the quietest route right in? I will be on the M62 by 7:15 so hopefully miss some of the madness.
    Thanks

bearnecessities

Edit. Scrap that, I can’t read – thought you were commuting from Leeds.

rockhopper70

Well I kind of am…but joining the m62 midway..

Cougar

Honestly? I’d drive to Heaton Park and get the Metro.

ratherbeintobago

Honestly? I’d drive to Heaton Park and get the Metro.

This. Another option might be to go in A62/Oldham?

rockhopper70

I need to have the car available..part of the job.

globalti
    Free Member

Exit the M60 at J19, take the A576 past Heaton Park, then at a big cross junction turn left on the A665 Cheetham Hill Road towards Strangeways. Follow it for a couple of miles, past a mosque and then big retail centre, past the Holts brewery, bearing left at the MEN arena and Co-op headquarters. At the top of the slight hill look for signs to the right to Arndale parking. Go down to a spiral access ramp at the end.

Cougar

Exit the M60 at J19, take the A576 past Heaton Park, then at a big cross junction turn left on the A665 Cheetham Hill Road towards Strangeways. Follow it for a couple of miles, past a mosque and then big retail centre, past the Holts brewery, bearing left at the MEN arena and Co-op headquarters. At the top of the slight hill look for signs to the right to Arndale parking. Go down to a spiral access ramp at the end.

That’s my preferred route under normal circumstances, or round a junction anticlockwise and through Prestwich. However, at commute times of day it’ll be absolutely knackered.

When I used to work in central Manchester and commute via the M66 (which meets the M60 at ostensibly the same place as the M62), the only way I could drive in without it being Russian roulette was to invest in a TomTom with a Traffic subscription. It consistently saved me half an hour a day at least.

globalti
    Free Member

I sometimes drive that way when I go right into Manchester early to pick up visitors from their hotels and it isn’t too bad. The reason? The “ethnic” shops in Cheetham Hill aren’t yet open and the double parking and creative driving haven’t yet started in that stretch of street, so traffic moves freely. Go after about 10 and you’re goosed.

nick1962
    Free Member

If the above route using main roads is busy(I always found the Middleton rd/Bury Old road junction a nightmare but depends on the time) try the “back way into town” always used to be quicker.As above from the A576 but then turn down Blackley New road then Lion St,Slack Road,Hazelbottom Rd,Smedley Lane then Road,Collyhurts Rd ,Dantzic St,town.Don’t let all the street names put you off as its more or less a straight run.If the A576 is ever choccer when you come off at Heaton Park then you can turn up Victoria Ave earlier then go through the estate (eg via Chapel lane) to get to Blackley New rd/Lion St .You can also come off at J20 M60 and go down Hill Lane off Victoria Ave.No idea how bust that is nowadays though.My step dad commuted for 25 years from M62 J21 to Crumpsall,Ancoats then Withington respectively.My mum reckons it was all that stressful commuting that finished him off.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ll check that for when I next drive in to Portland Street.

hora
    Free Member

Start work alot earlier.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Best advice I can give regardless of route is get on the M60, and preferably off it by 7.15-7.30 at the latest.

I frequently commute into the North West from Leeds and 2+hours to get into central Manchester is not unknown and it’s getting noticeably worse.

If its a long term thing just suck it up and enjoy the early starts, better at the office an hour early having a cuppa and browsing the web than sat in the M60 carpark.

globalti
    Free Member

If the above route using main roads is busy(I always found the Middleton rd/Bury Old road junction a nightmare but depends on the time) try the “back way into town” always used to be quicker.As above from the A576 but then turn down Blackley New road then Lion St,Slack Road,Hazelbottom Rd,Smedley Lane then Road,Collyhurts Rd ,Dantzic St,town.Don’t let all the street names put you off as its more or less a straight run.If the A576 is ever choccer when you come off at Heaton Park then you can turn up Victoria Ave earlier then go through the estate (eg via Chapel lane) to get to Blackley New rd/Lion St .

Just checked this on the map – looks sneaky, will try it next time I drive down for shawarma in Rusholme with my Sudanese friend. Anything to avoid the double-parkers in Cheetham Hill.

rockhopper70

i didn’t get the chance to plan to apply any of these suggestions today so just went for the early start. Left sowerby bridge at 6:45 and arrived at the Arndale car park at 7:46, even after a slight detour after a wrong turn by the arena.
    So now i have the awkward task of hoping to leave early ish, having justified such a departure with an early start.Trouble is that those who stay until 5 didn’t come in till 9 so don’t know I have “banked” a bit of time, IMO!

nick1962
    Free Member

Just re-read this.Above route should read ….Smedley Lane,then left at Queens Rd then right down Collyhurst Rd.Don’t go straight across Queens Road from Smedley Lane onto Smedley Road as it is a one way street futher down so you can’t get onto Collyhurst Rd that way.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commuting into Central Manchester from the Leeds side…best way in please?’ is closed to new replies.