Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Commuting distances
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m doing 100 miles a week at the moment, cycling every day. I’m finding its destroying my motivation to ride at the weekends, although it is partly due to the horrible weather. After getting rained on all week its difficult to go out and get soaking wet/muddy again at the weekend.

I have no other alternative way of getting to work so i wouldn’t want the commute to be more than 10 miles if i still want to ride at the weekend.

However, if you can take the car/train/bus a day or two so you can get a rest in order to ride at the weekend, a longer commute would be fine. I’ve done a couple of crazy 70-80 mile roundtrips before, but only once a week.

ourmaninthenorth

17 miles each way. Currently doing 3 days a week, was doing 5 days in summer (with extra riding).

Moving house in around a month, which will give me a lumpy 25 miles each way. I reckon 3 times in summer, twice in winter.

(But right now, I hate it and just want to get in the car in the morning and listen to radio 4. Need time off the bike.)

SiB
    Free Member

7 miles each way in winter 5 days a week

anything up to 20 each way in better weather 5 days a week

365 days a year (if I worked weekends and holidays that is)

motivation for weekend rides can be hard to come by

Buzzard
    Free Member

I commute in to the smoke from Surrey – aprox 40km each way and have been riding it 3-4times a week right through winter. Means I can get away with less riding on the weekend and more time with the fam but it has been damn hard at times. The constant days and the back to backs has taken its toll on my ageing (not really that old) body.

cupra
    Free Member

10 miles each way, uphill two thirds of the way in means a longer downhill route on the way home. I can’t do it every day as I need the car for work.

acjim
    Free Member

between 15 and 20 miles each way – 3 or 4 times a week with taking clothes in one day per week. At this time of year it’s the bike that takes the bashing – everything starts to break!

DrP

My commute can vary drastically depending if the little’un needs dropping at nursery, or if I’m between sites….
    Shortest is just over 12m return, longest is about 25m round trip (which involves 4 miles to nursery, 6 miles to site 1, then 10 miles to site 2, then a few m to nursery, and 4 miles home! All over the shop!)

I tell you what though, my appetite has gone sky high! I ate over 1000kal of flapjack yesterday, just in snacks!

DrP

ericemel
    Free Member

I currently do 13miles each way, mixture of offroad and roads approx 1hr each way on a SS CX bike. Wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Its in London – but I only need to share the road with cars for approx 4 miles, the rest is separate cycleways including Wimbledon common, Richmond Park and the thames footpath. LOVELY

cr500dom
    Free Member

10 miles each way for me, did first one this year last week, and aiming to build it back up to 4-5 days a week.
    Country roads, so a bit dark at the moment, but its a nice ride with some cheeky trails to be had if wanted…

dandelionandmurdoch
    Free Member

Pah, all your klickage claims are nowt compared to the commutes most of these guys had to get to work.

fasthaggis

Option 1 (when I am late) 15 miles each way ,all road with lots of traffic.

Option 2 17 miles each way ,all road , very low traffic.

Option 3 20 miles each way ,includes 4 miles of single track and forest road , next to no traffic.

I mix and match them depending what I am doing at night ,but I don’t think I would like to live much further away.
    I try to do 3 days a week in the Winter and 5 days a week the rest.

It’s the only way I could ever fit my training round family life and it gives me enough base mileage to not have to worry too much about weekend top ups.

topgunsteve
    Free Member

I don’t know what you do for a living but you may want to consider that the further you ride, the sweatier you get? if you don’t ahve a shower at work it could be pretty minging!

fasthaggis

Shower at work ,
    Bike storage at work (inside).
    Drying area at work.
    Storage for clothes at work.

It’s almost like having my own gym 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

Duffer whereabouts on the a15???

traildog
    Free Member

I do about 32km, giving me 40miles a day. It’s fairly flat, only climbing about 200m both ways. I’ve only been doing it 3 times a week during the winter and hope to build more during the summer. The secret for me is to have a heart rate monitor on, and keep at zone 2 as much as possible. It feels very slow and I get passed by all sorts but it means I still feel fresh for a good weekends riding. I can easily get the train if I don’t feel like it or my bike isn’t working.

I used to commute 14km everyday and I had no alternative to the bike. Keeping the bike in working order became key and I couldn’t imagine being able to do that with just the one bike. I had two I used for commuting, and if the worse came to the worse I was on my decent bike.

Commuting seems to kill equipment like nothing else.

ourmaninthenorth

Commuting seems to kill equipment like nothing else.

Tell me about it. I think it’s one of the reasons why I’m so out of love with riding to work – knackered bike = no fun.

I’ll limp on until I move, but the first job in the new garage will be a full strip down of the commuter and replacement of large parts of the drivetrain, rims and other consumables.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I’ve been doing 4 miles in (mostly downhill) and 6 miles home (nearly all uphill obviously!) since I took my 2nd car off the road in October. It was a slog on the wet days but a pleasure through the snow and ice as I have an alternative off road route for most of the way. I’m in a similar situation, thinking of moving firther out of Manchester but not sure on the distance to cycle in. Maybe try it a few times and see how it goes. Or by a motorbike again! Definately not gonna sit in a car for an hour and a half either side of work though. Again where we a re thinking of moving to will be allmost all uphill on the way home 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

For once, there seems to be an abundance of good, honest opinion on here. I’ve found that cycling to work 5-6 days in a week knackers me for any weekend leisure cycling and that seems to be fairly common.

What’s happened to the real hard-men who do 50-60 miles a day and then are up for mega-marathons every weekend?

TheBrick
    Free Member

topgunsteve – Member
    I don’t know what you do for a living but you may want to consider that the further you ride, the sweatier you get? if you don’t ahve a shower at work it could be pretty minging!

change of cloths and wet wipes does a good job.

supertwisted
    Free Member

25 mile round trip for me, though so far I’ve only done it a handful of times.

Sitting at my desk in the afternoon having driven into work today, I feel raring to go and say to myself “tomorrow I’m taking the bike.”

But I know that tomorrow at 7am, I’ll feel like a sack of wrongness, unable to contemplate swinging my legs out of bed into my slippers, let along swinging a leg over my bike on yet another cold, grey and dismal day.

Once the clocks go forward I shall prob start again.

ourmaninthenorth

For once, there seems to be an abundance of good, honest opinion on here.

When seeking tips from clubmates on a route for my upcoming new commute (did I say I was moving? 😉 ), a friend gave some pointers. He also told me about the effect of doing 5 days of a round trip of 50 miles – he would fall through the front door at the end of the week. And he was an elite cat road racer at the time..!

It’s not so much the distance, or the incessant nature of 5 or 6 days a week. It’s doing that and having to then complete a full day at work that’s the killer.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I do 15 miles each way crossing the Quantocks and work 12 hour shifts it makes a long day and the weather can change a lot in 12 hours, so I don’t do it as much as I should 🙁

wooobob

It’s not so much the distance, or the incessant nature of 5 or 6 days a week. It’s doing that and having to then complete a full day at work that’s the killer.

That’s it. 6 miles in with a shower = great. Can’t beat it. Finish work, then get home under your own steam and eat a massive dinner! 5 days a week no probs. Or: 25 miles in, have shower, try to stay awake all day then have to cycle 25 miles home! Fun as a one-off, or occasionally, but not every day.

The consensus seems to be <15 miles, with some countryside. Gives me something to work from… 🙂

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Yep, I do find I’m flagging by the end of the week even with such a short commute. It doesn’t seem to slow me down at weekedns though and I’m still faster than I used to be and better at getting up hills. I feel tired but must be fitter which compensates – if that makes sense?

rootes1

mine is a 60 mile round trip..

4 days a week, brompton + train = above 10miles per day of actual cycling

1 day, single speed road bike all the way and back

Duffer
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member
    Duffer whereabouts on the a15???

I’m soon to start work at Kirton Lindsey, but it looks like i may be moving to Scampton, so it’ll be a good 15 mile ride. Honestly, i’ve been hoping to get a job a decent distance away, so i had an excuse to ride!

You local?

thomthumb
    Free Member

It’s not so much the distance, or the incessant nature of 5 or 6 days a week. It’s doing that and having to then complete a full day at work that’s the killer

+1 i found that and my commute is ‘only’ 10k each way. now i take wednesday as a ‘rest day’.

senorj

My commute(s).
    option 1 – reasonably busy “A” road out of North London Village.
    26 mile one way.

option 2 – 70%Sustrans route – very low traffic.
    29 mile one way

option 3 – 50% Canal tow path & 40%country lanes.
    37 mile one way.

I did option 1 for 5 days (On a nightshift pattern).Once.
    it nearly killed me. Also my work output was reduced,significantly.
    I did option 3 on Sunday and forgot a rearmudguard…doh. vvvCold.
    Like others I mix the options to suit the season/shift/weather/workload.
    Roll on the (dry)spring and summer when i can do option 3 and add another few miles and play out in Epping on the way home.

I’d love to commute more but I think I need to live closer to work for it to be realistic.
    Like druidh said , if you do too much in the week it will impact on your weekend riding.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

When I used to cycle commute I did 15 miles each way as a minimum during the Summer I’d more often than not take a more scenic canal/river route that was 20 miles each way. Knackering at first but after about three months the body got used to it and if I didn’t ride in I was a right miserable git.

EDIT: Did ride much less at the weekends though.

Since my commute has changed to about 8 metres across the landing I am slower on the bike and considerably heavier. On the upside I don’t spend over 10 hours a week getting too and from work.

5lab

2 miles each way. Way home has 1000′ of climbing though, so its not *completely* woosey 🙂

fasthaggis

What’s happened to the real hard-men who do 50-60 miles a day and then are up for mega-marathons every weekend?

Ha ha ha . They are the walking dead with the 1000 yard stare that you see waiting at the start line.

Yup ,it’s tiring and you are sometimes glad to get to Friday night , but then every day isn’t at a flat out pace.

When I was trying to get silly miles in last Summer I would fit in 2 chain gangs after work, which was hard.
    The thing that made it a lot easier (for me) was changing my eating pattern during the day so that I had enough energy for it all.

It paid off last year so going with (almost) the same approach again.

Oh , and I don’t do the 1000 yd stare 😉

tim41
    Free Member

17 hilly Devon miles each way for my commute, so doing it every day would soon destroy me. I’m just starting to increase the number of commute by bike days after a slack winter period.
    The key for me is to get plenty of rest days mixed in with the commuting and off road rding. Some days I’ll drive, other days ride both ways, other days ride in and get the train home etc. Throw in an off road night ride mid week and one or both weekend days and that’s plenty of cycling, so the rest days are important.
    Seems to work fairly well without the motivation fading away.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

36 miles a day four days a week = 144 miles a week plus MTB at weekends.

Covered 8,000km in 2010

[video]http://vimeo.com/17062831[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

60 mile commute in the car each way (or thereabouts).
    Last year I did get into a routine of taking bike in the car & unloading in a village to do the last 12.5miles commute by bike.

Struggling to get back into the routine of it again, especially since we had that bad spell of weather.
    Gonna try and do it from next Monday. Once the weather gets a bit better, I will probably extend the cycle home to get more miles in my legs, time permitting.

Same here. Trying to ride twice a week on a SS road bike from a car drop over a 9 mile moderately lumpy route around the Chilterns. Motivation after surgery and then a car crash has proved difficult, especially with the faff of preparing bags kit and car the night before.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Senior J: where do you live?

I used to commute from E18 to EC1 several years back.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

No showers at work but live and work near the station so bike on train in the morning then cycle the 20 miles home at night, all pretty flat but sometimes extend it a bit and add a bit more up and down. About three times a week in summer keeps me fit enough, and leaves me fresh enough for whatever weekend rides I want to do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used to do 15miles there and back, it was good, but meant I ws tired by the weekend, probably because I treated prety much every day as a race.

Would love a nice commute but only have 6 miles at the moment, and its crap like most things in the south east.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Love that video, MTB-Idle. I’d seen it before and found it inspiring so thanks for sharing it again.

Tomorrow heralds the first (23m each way) commute of the year. I have that pre-race feeling at the moment (not that I race these days…) I think it’s the fact that you and your kit can’t fail, you have to get to work on time and you’re cycling away from home all the while – unlike the weekend riding around in circles thing, with rarely any great time pressures.

jamest
    Free Member

I do 10 miles each way, just getting back to commuting after years (10+) of needing a car for work, now in a job where the work comes to me. I am currently on a hardtail with slicks, and with a new off road hardtail inbound , the current one will become dedicated commuter. I have managed twice a week for 2 weeks, planning to step it up considerably in the coming months, I do find it tiring but satisfying at the same time! No shower but wear merino top and have a strip wash at the sink and put clean clothes on – all good! Bike storage is a bit of an issue, and may have to move towards locking outside with a serious lock, against the grain but gonna gamble it..

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i’m 14 miles each way and had to do it (crashed my car!) for a month (including shift work) for a month and it almost killed me, generally i’ll do it 2 out of 4 days one of which a longer route home.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Commuting distances’ is closed to new replies.