Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Commuting clobber/lights/mudguards
  • tails
    Free Member

So by the start of nxt week I hope to be a cycle commuter (bike getting powder coated) my commute is 6 miles each way.

Is it okay to just wear your work clothes (I don't meet clients) or do you all wear specific gear.

I have never worn cycle gear.

Could people recommend some cheap commuter lights and anything else they feel is a must have for commuting.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Surfr
    Free Member

All depends on how much you sweat, how fast you go, whether you wuss out every time the roads are wet or god forbid, it rains. I favour full lycra and a high vis jacket of some sort most of the year or a bright S/S jersey in hotter summer weather.

As for lights, I use a smart on the front, flashing, and a cateye 5 LED on the rear, also flashing. Combined with my off road 3xcree Helmet light for front lighting on unlit unclassified and B roads (I commute in the country).

As for guards, I prefer to just stick waterproof 3/4 shorts on when it rains, but standard opinion is SKS for full guards. They do a clip-on which will fit a 35mm cross tyre which I might consider buying soon but not really sure I need them.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My commute to work will shortly be along the canal bank for 10-12 miles. I'd just intended to wear jeans, trainers and a jumper/jacket, then get changed at work. I'm only doing it if the weather is forecast nice tho and I'll be catching the train back in the dark (canal's far too scarey). I've got a bike with mudguards and chain guard and a nice soft saddle.

tails
    Free Member

oh thats fancy banana. i'll look into your suggestions surfr, especially the lights.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Full mudguards are a joy when using a bike as transport! Get some.

With regards to clothing, you have two options;

Join the ranks of commuter-racer types huffing and puffing along like it's some kind of care – Wear lycra and dayglo aplenty

Take it easy. Ride a nice comfy bike. – Wear what you like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Full mudguards, no need for cycle specific kit for a shortish distance like that – just make sure you don't overheat. Lights and reflective stuff as much as possible.

Assume ever driver has not seen you.

Good luck

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Take it easy. Ride a nice comfy bike. – Wear what you like.

That was my theory

cynic-al
    Free Member

I doubt you'll do 10-12 miles on that for long BANana, will take you ages, no matter how cool you look.

crazy-legs

Anything over about 2 miles and I'd wear specific cycle clothing but maybe that's just me. I guess it depends on where you work and what facilities (showers/lockers/drying rooms) you have there.

At least 2 rear lights and 2 front (one main, one little flashy one). Reflective stuff is very useful too. Ironically, the more lit up/urban your route, the more lighting you need in order to stand out from the background lights.

I doubt you'll do 10-12 miles on that for long BANana, will take you ages, no matter how cool you look.

You're right about it taking ages, it doesn't have a chain on it!

ourmaninthenorth

Though I wear cycle clothing (I'll explain my reasoning for this), if you're riding steadily and don't need to wear a suit, then normal clothes is fine.

I'm all in favour of cycling just being another form of transport that doesn't require special gear or helmets or hi viz of swish lights.

Let's ride like normal people.

…Now, the reasons I wear cycle specific clothing are: (1) I have showers at work, which I use as I'm a sweaty sod (2) I wear suits at work, and won't ride in them (3) I'm usually late, and so have to ride hard enough to work a sweat up (4) I'm riding 2 nights a week straight after work, and in the summer will be doing three nights.

StirlingCrispin

I've done both and a lot depends on your commute.

I used to use cycle-specific clothes when my commute took in a narrow urban road where I found myself sprinting for lights all the time.

Now I commute on quiet roads with a hill at the end so just wear my work clothes.

Mudguards and front mudflap are a must. I use a Goretex jacket with pitzips on top, and Rainlegs or full-length trousers below. Rainlegs are great for showery days – it doesn't take much to soak work trousers – and you don't cook in them.

Cycle-specific clothes doesn't mean you have to shower – just get changes in the toilet at work. And carry your kit in a Carradice saddlebag so you don't get a sweaty back.

organic355
    Free Member

You cant just wear normal clothes in these conditions though, you end up getting to work looking like a homeless person.

Mudguards stop some of the crud getting on you but not all.

What happens when you get caught in the rain, gonna sit in soggy clothes all day at the office?

Maybe cycling specific clothes are not essential, but a change of clothes definitely is, maybe just wear an old tracky & trainers?

rootes1

lights:

i as do a numberof other in the office use these:

the rear is super bright and at this price worth it for the rear alone:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-b-spoke-1-2-led-lightset-id41560.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You cant just wear normal clothes in these conditions though, you end up getting to work looking like a homeless person.

Ever been on the rush hour commute in Amsterdam? Amsterdam has pretty much exactly the same weather conditions as most of the UK.

How do they manage, eh?

Well, they ride like normal people, as mentioned in the link above.

It's not a race, it's a mode of transport.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it okay to just wear your work clothes
    How do we know how much you stink?
    6 miles? wear a jacket when its wet.

Just don't go posting any stories about run-ins with motorists eh?

simon_g

When I used to commute to a less formal environment (7 miles or so each way), I'd wear a merino top, cycling shorts then work trousers over the top. Jacket if it was cold or rainy. Then carry underwear and shirt in my bag. I either commuted in work shoes or left them at work if I was using a bike with SPDs. Kept a pair of rainlegs in my bag in case it tipped it down. Usual bike had full mudguards though, and if rain was forecast I'd always take that one.

Get in, cool down, off to disabled loo to change, job done. If I was late or needed to see someone straight away at least I looked fairly normal and just got changed a bit later.

tails
    Free Member

Just don't go posting any stories about run-ins with motorists eh?

Fortunately most of it will be on bridleways very low traffic areas.

aP
    Free Member

I normally just wear what I'm going to wear for work (except on occaisional days when I ned a suit and I put it in a pannier and bring it in with me).
    In the summer then I'll tend to wear a t-shirt and a pair of shorts which I change out of about 20 minutes after I get in to the office.
    However, my office is fairly relaxed so as long as you're not dressed for the beach (if you are then you get asked to go there) wear what you like.

Ogg

a couple of miles is ok in 'normal clothes' and probably what most Amsterdam cycle commuters do, much further than that and cycle clothing can be a bit more pleasant and practical really – less sweaty,windproof and quick drying.

MRanger156
    Free Member

3.5 mile commute, all but the worst weather:

Same rear light as pic above, plus an extra cheap on on my RHS. Exposure Joystick up front.

Front mudguard – One of those £7 under the fork jobs, cant remember the name.
    Rear mudguard – Not essensial, make your bike look rubbish but very useful. Need to get one really.

Full cycle gear, dont want to turn up to work sweaty with wet, muddy, ripped trousers. Its also a lot more comfy to cycle in cycle gear and faster.

hels
    Free Member

Re cycling in jeans, maybe it's a girl thing but I can't do more than a couple of miles, there are some double stitched seams in some sensitive places.

But I accept that boys have differently designed bottoms. And you will need to do something to stop your jeans leg getting caught on the workings (of the bike that is).

cynic-al
    Free Member

I ride to work but it's only 4.5miles/25m so jeans and tees are fine.

Better for pub/shopping/general "looking cool" too 😎

aP
    Free Member

Yes, my commute is only 5 miles so jeans+T is perfectly OK. Was a bit hard work with the bobyak this morning though.

Surfr
    Free Member

Ever been on the rush hour commute in Amsterdam? Amsterdam has pretty much exactly the same weather conditions as most of the UK.

And exactly not the same terrain as most of the UK. We have these hill things. My short 5 mile commute takes in over 100m of ascent. Show me where I can do that in Amsterdam.

Nick

Another view… If you've got showers at work then use the commute to get fitter, nail it on the way in, have a nice shower, put on nice clean fresh clothes, enjoy the feeling.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are more likely to need a shower if you wear cycling kit. all that synthetic material holds sweat and bugs and stinks

cynic-al
    Free Member

And cotton never smells at all?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not nearly as badly as the bugs don't live in it.

Nick

You are more likely to need a shower if you wear cycling kit. all that synthetic material holds sweat and bugs and stinks

Newer stuff doesn't seem to be affected anywhere near as badly as older synthetics (I have a smelly helly from 15 years ago, body heat really reactivates the odour).

Don't know what you mean about holding sweat though.

Cotton's a disaster, slightest bit of sweat and it's staying damp for ages.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use cycling kit (lycra) for the ride to work (nice showers when I get there)and take another set of kit for the ride home.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think you're right, it's along a canal bank, door to door, the dry run took me nearly 1 hour 45mins. But Yes, I have a back up bike of lighter weight and more gears for when I get bored of the cruiser novelty and want to get there quicker.

Ogg

What utter rubbish.

Dibbs
    Free Member

TJ in "utter rubbish" shocker 🙄

jonb
    Free Member

I commute about the same distance. I wear shirts and ties at work so I get changed when I arrive. Because I get changed I wear cycling stuff to ride in. I have lots of it and unsurprisingly it's the ideal clothing to cycle in. For most of the year it's baggies, with varying amounts on top. Normally just cheap T shirts in Summer as they die quickyl because of the frequent washing.

If you are going to commute year round then you'll need proper kit. Shorts were not suitable when the temperature was -5 in January.

Try it on a weekend. I think you'll be too sweaty to do it in work clothes. Full guards are a must. Leave a set of socks in work as your feet will get wet on occasion. Most basic LED lights will do.
    Cnosider a high vis jacket or vest. Consider taking a pump, tube and small multi tool in case something breaks. If you are in work clothes this may be a problem as you'll get dirty. I carry thin nitrile gloves so if I have to do anything my hands don't end up black.

AS above if you don't want to do cycling clothes then anything will do. Just consider what you will do with it at work – jeans and large coats can be difficult to store in a desk.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I have never worn cycle gear.

why start now?

i cycle similar distance and i do wear cycling kit. i have cycled the distance in jeans but i tend to get sweaty and jeans chafe!

essentials:

mudguards,
    comfortable bag (rucksack better than courier bag ime)
    spare clothes at work – the day i wore only jeans, and a baselayer and used a power cable for a belt will never be forgotton at work!!

i find that a 'commuting outfit' seperate from my other bike kit clothes is helpful as whatever you need will invariably be filthy/ stinking from that night ride where you fell in a puddle and forgot!

RichPenny
    Free Member

I-Pod 🙂 If you're only doing 5 miles, and changing at work, I wouldn't bother with mudguards. Embrace your environment…

rootes1

Nah mudguards might be old man, but they really do make communting better save getting wet and dirty for mountain biking,

RichPenny
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with getting wet and dirty, bit of water doesn't kill you know 🙂

rootes1

Yer getting wet and dirty out on your mountain bike is part of the fun, but at the start or end of a working day it just adds to a long day, so best sort your self out, plus drying clothes at work is a pain and putting wet clothes back on to go home is not fun……

Nick

It's an arse at the best of times walking into work dripping wet and covered in shite.

Ok if you're having to faff about swapping bits on and off bikes to make the road/off road friendly, but if you've a dedicated commuting bike make it fit for purpose, put mudguards and a rack on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Commuting clobber/lights/mudguards’ is closed to new replies.