Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Commuting by car – how do you stand it??!!!
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

Commuting by car – how do you stand it??!!!

warm, dry, comfy, an extra 30mins in bed, radio4 (pm with eddie mayer is very good), get home 30mins quicker, less knackered, less likely to die, less likely to be violently attacked, i can’t remember the last time the car had a punctures. etc. etc.

driving to work is great, but i can’t/won’t spend £4 on the fuel.

so i go by bike.

Peyote
    Free Member

Whilst you the bright one ingests and filters the bad exhaust particles out of the air for the rest of us on your bike….

Check out the research on this (Google it if you want), apparently the height of cyclists (not recumbent riders!) means that they breath in less pollution/particulates than drivers/passengers of cars!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Comedy podcasts! so much more relaxed after downloading a few of these.

twinklydave

I don’t, unless I ‘have’ to (ie. I”m picking up some huge box or suchlike).

My commute is about 7 miles in the car through the town centre, or 4.5 miles straight along a load of well surfaced, quiet cyclepaths like this. Why on earth so many of the people that work here and live near to me insist on driving in every day I just don’t know. The fuel costs, the stress, the cost of parking once they get here (provided they can find somewhere to park at all!). It’s just mental.

druidh
    Free Member

Didn’t really bother me. Leave in plenty of time. Chill out to some choonz. Get in to work warm and dry.

It’s not like you ever see stressed cyclists 🙄

IHN

Not quite Binners, I’m more of a World Music fan

ourmaninthenorth

Used to do 170 miles a week commuting by bike. Advantages were health* and well being, and regular journey time. Disadvantages were weather, drivers and the fact that it took longer than driving.

Then I moved house. Distance is now 50% longer by bike, and the ride itself harder. Mrs North’s commute is now 500% longer. We have a daughter we need to be home for. For me, driving is the only realistic option.

But f– me it’s annoying when the journey can be as short as 40 mins each way and as long as 2 hours in the car, all because the day has the letter “Y” in it….

*I think the volume of riding I did contributed to the heart probs I’ve spent the last year dealing with.

DezB
    Free Member

traffic is only annoying if you let it get to you

Oh, I so wish I could stop it. I know everytime I get in the damn car that it won’t be 5 minutes before I encounter an idiot.. but it get’s to me everytime. I need therapy. (Or a bike ride).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

And I can get quite a bit of phone work and/or deal with emails.

Obvious Troll or complete arsehole?

I’d prefer to ride to work but its **** dangerous so no thanks.

click click whirr.

hora
    Free Member

Commuting by bike into urbania is a false health-kick. You breath/ingest alot of harmful chemicals spewed out…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Neither of my cars have cabin filters so its a moot point.

ransos
    Free Member

“Commuting by bike into urbania is a false health-kick. You breath/ingest alot of harmful chemicals spewed out… “

As you do sat in your car. You’re also burning expensive fuel and getting fat in your rapidly depreciating car.

I’ve done car commuting and it sucks.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Obvious Troll or complete arsehole?

Such a lovely place this. Or perhaps lets the driver do the driving.
    Small thinkers, think small.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Driving a car should be fun. It’s amazing how it has sucked the fun out of itself.
    I guess that latest Freelander ad has it covered – people just want a comfortable cocoon.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Car: Runs on money and makes you fat
    Bike: Runs on fat and saves you money

Sort of.

The biggest turn-off for me about driving is that it’s so mind-numbingly boring.

zippykona

3 mile off road commute for me. I sometimes see a kingfisher,always a heron couple of koi and lots of dogs to fuss.
    . yours Mr Smug.

stumpy01

Well, for me it’s a 40 mile each way commute that takes 50 mins or so.
    I have learned several escape routes in case of accidents, but even then I can still get stuck.

I have looked for work closer to home, but am yet to find something suitable. Ideally, i’d love a 10-15 mile cycle to work.

Driving to work for me is only stressful because of the few inconsiderate drivers that do stupid things.

binners

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Commuting by car stops me becoming one of those annoying sanctimonious ***** who think everything can be done by bike if we only thought about it and the proceed to lecture the world about how better they are than those poor fools.

DezB
    Free Member

annoying sanctimonious *****

mikewsmith = Typical STW member

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

For a year I did a 120 mile a day round trip commute. Used the car because it was a bit quicker.

banks
    Free Member

I drive as i find riding on the road dull, i soon switch off. Quite like driving, music or karl pilkington on soon passes the time. But i get to work an hour earlier than i’m supposed to and go back to sleep 🙂

binners

mikewsmith – As with most things, the annoying smugness factor is my primary motivation 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

How do those of you who do this every day cope?

By doing the ‘early shift’. Get on the road early; have a good blast in on emptyish roads; get to the office before everyone else arrives, and get more done in the quiet hour than the rest of the day put together; leave before the evening rush hour, and home in time for Neighbours*.

* That’s just a figure of speech for those ‘of a certain age’.

This all means I can live in a nice place, instead of within cycling distance of the office, which is in a shitty/prohibitively expensive area.

…which is a long way of saying what mikewsmith says above.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the record I would if I could but the bikes are already downstairs in the office and the other office requires a plane or 12hrs ferry ride

jota180
    Free Member

You people that have jobs that mean commuting more than a few yards to a warm study, why do you do it and put up with it? How do those of you who do this every day cope? 😉

binners

How do those of you who do this every day cope?

Ahem…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGg1567fzTY[/video]

😆

rocketman
    Free Member

50-mile commute from leafy suburbs to an industrial urban hell-hole.

I like to get the hell out of there as fast as possible a bicycle is not an option.

molgrips
    Free Member

I chose a hotel 11 miles from the office so I could cycle in. Takes me about 35 mins. The other day I was running late so I drove. Took me 30 minutes.

Some commutes are far worse than others. The only way to cope is to switch off and not let it bother you.

And the ‘early shift’ is not feasible for some of us. To get on the M4 before traffic starts up you have to be well before 7am, and that’s just not happening for me.

ransos
    Free Member

Commuting by car stops me becoming one of those annoying sanctimonious ***** who think everything can be done by bike if we only thought about it and the proceed to lecture the world about how better they are than those poor fools.

It can and we are.

Hope this helps.

KonaTC

Commuting by car – how do you stand it??!!!

It’s better than un-employment

officialtob
    Free Member

I HATE driving in to work – regardless of the weather. 10 mile journey from one side of Cardiff to the other:

Car = 60 minutes + £5 in costs + a slightly stressed feeling
    Train = 50 minutes + £4.50 in costs + a very stressed feeling
    Bus = completely impractical
    Bike = 40 minutes + FREE + a relaxed/rosy-cheeked feeling

There is a clear winnner.

jota180
    Free Member

Binners – not much need for the Mitchell and Webb approach
    The Mrs is a ‘stay at home’ wife so the window cleaner’s loss is my gain

🙂

binners

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

10 mile journey from one side of Cardiff to the other

Where to where? Cardiff can be easy or it can be a nightmare depending on where you want to go.

miketually
    Free Member

You see how angry driving make you? Calm down dear, it’s only a modal choice.

miketually
    Free Member

Costs:
    Bought a bike on C2W 3.5 years ago and spend naff all since, so about £1 per day.

To drive, I’d have to learn to drive, plus buy, insure, etc. a car 🙂

Peyote
    Free Member

becoming one of those annoying sanctimonious ***** who think everything can be done by bike if we only thought about it

I resemble that comment.

Sometimes it’s 8 miles, sometimes it’s 52 miles, either way bike is first choice.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

30 miles from highland perthshire to the tay estuary, includes 2 sets of traffic lights and 4 roundabouts with frequent sightings of red kites, osprey, deer and red squirrels.
    really nice drive but too much uphill at the end of the trek home to be arsed cycling

ooOOoo
    Free Member

When I was driving to work, I was doing the equivalent of once round the Equator every year.
    That’s just decadent. 7 years car free here. No track days since 2002 though 🙁 and yes, they were decadent too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by car – how do you stand it??!!!’ is closed to new replies.