Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Commuting by bike – a happy 3 year adds-up
  • nedrapier

Just got to thinking today. It’s been just over 3 years since I moved to North London.

It was the catalyst to buy a bike which I got a good deal on (bike to work), put some of my parts bin stuff back out there, got me building a wheel jig and my first two wheels. I love the bike, enjoyed it a huge amount on the commute and loads more rides besides, big and little, on and off road.

Just on the commute alone, I’ve done about 7,500 miles, saved about £4,400 in tube tickets and, because it’s quicker by bike, I’ve spent an extra 26 hours in bed with my wife.

Aren’t bikes great? 😀

Thank you, bike!

ton

commuting is the best kind of cycling…….only beaten by touring/pootling. 8)

nedrapier

I think I know what you mean, ton. Almost like free miles, free fun?

If I get the tube home, I don’t really feel like I’m home, on my own time, until I’m walking up the stairs to the flat, jangling my keys in my pocket. But on the bike, it’s as soon as I’m turning the pedals. 🙂

irvb

I miss bike commuting 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Approved.

nickwatson
    Free Member

OP, sorry to point this out, but your bike looks broken 🙁

nickwatson
    Free Member

Ahhh

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m about to start my bike commuting career. Can’t wait!
    Only 9 mile (flat) round trip mind.

nedrapier

Just re-read and checked the maths. 130 hours extra in bed with my wife!

irvb: I know I will. It probably won’t be for ever, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it while it lasts.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve had a head full of stinking cold all week, so i’ve been driving to work.

i’m looking forward to feeling better, i’m looking forward to getting back on the bike even more…

ska-49 – Member

I’m about to start my bike commuting career. Can’t wait!
    Only 9 mile (flat) round trip mind.

perfect, you can get home quickly when you need to, you can go exploring when you want to.

ned! – any pics of your bike now(ish)?

nedrapier

ska: enjoy!

nedrapier

ahwiles, through the ages:

mudguards about to go back on

nedrapier

I was strictly a “one pair of tyres at a time” man until I got this.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nice.

beautiful.

mrmo
    Free Member

worked out this year i have spent 20 days on a bike, and a fair chunk of that is commuting. What would the alternative be? sitting in a car… talk about wasting time!

ton

that is a lovely bike ned that is.
    I use my disc trucker for everything now, very versatile bikes

jackthedog
    Free Member

If I get the tube home, I don’t really feel like I’m home, on my own time, until I’m walking up the stairs to the flat, jangling my keys in my pocket. But on the bike, it’s as soon as I’m turning the pedals

Ha, never thought of it like that but you’re bang on.

nedrapier

cheers ton and ahwiles! We took roadbikes and mtbs over to France for a week around a couple of friends’ wedding. Spare tyres meant I could share my mtb and take this out.

brakes
    Free Member

Nice ned, real nice.

I have stayed in my current job probably longer than I should have done, because I HATE the thought of not being able to ride to work…
    Been doing it for 7+ years now and have probably covered over 16,000 miles on the streets of North and Central London.
    Love it, rain or shine. I can probably think of two occasions, out of hundreds and hundreds, where I haven’t enjoyed it.

Still not spotted you though Ned.

kimbers

100 miles a week commuting in London, plenty of steps and drops too 😉
    In the last 6 years or so in the smoke I reckon I’ve got the tube maybe once a month on average
    Now I’ve got kids my trip to work is my only guaranteed cycling I can get !

ton

brakes, man after my own heart.
    been commuting by bike to work since I was 16, I am 48 now.
    and my 1 rule when applying for a job has always been that I can cycle there.

been at my present job 13yrs, which is roughly 37,000 miles commuting.

nedrapier

jack, it’s one of the things that makes me realise how much I love cycling.

One of the others is the last half minute of the 1945 Raleigh ”How a bicycle is made” film

“There are bicycles for all purposes, suitable for men, women, boys and girls… a bicycle is a comfortable and cheap way of getting about; a great boon to man. Ideal for shopping, easy to park, handy for work.

A faithful friend, ever-ready to take tired workers back home, and after work: to bring relaxation, health and happiness.”

There I go again, soppy bastard…

nedrapier

one day, brakes! Say hello if you do, I don’t know what bike you’re on?

brakes
    Free Member

will do, I’d most probably be on an all black unbranded drop bar fixie, or a grey Kinesis Racelight. hi-viz pisspot helmet.

number18
    Free Member

I’m about to start commuting a few times a week, it’s 8.5 miles each way with some tasty uphills, the last one though is a fairly decent descent through Dewsbury golf course (on the way there). Just need to make sure the showers down in the factory at work aren’t too grubby (can’t be worse than a portakabin at Sands Lane football pitches!) and there’s somewhere to leave some work clothes and toiletries for the week… oh and that the guys in the warehouse will keep an eye on my bike…. and I need a brighter front light.

Hmm, need to get my act together.

hot_fiat

This is why….

Great thread Ned. Beautiful bike, fired up my memories of commuting in London and the amazing feeling of freedom that gave me. Beating the tube home always made me smile.

GrahamS

Worked out at the end of September that I’d ridden over 2,000 miles on my new bike in the past six months.

Probably 90% of that was commuting.

Love it.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Nice thread – and lovely bike. I’ve not commuted this week and really miss it; just having a busy one at and after work. It’s 22.5 miles each way, so once a week, twice in the summer gets some decent extra miles in.

Ton – reckon you’ve got it there in your first post, fella. Just stuck some 28mm tyres on the Tripster ready for the worst of the weather. Can’t wait 🙂

nedrapier

hot-fiat, what started me thinking was realising I’d not been overtaken by single motorised vehicle for the whole 6 miles in, and the same back home again, even on the hills. 20mph zones and traffic. Not an ideal bike ride, to be honest, but way more ideal than the tube!

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m 31 and have been cycling to work since I was 16 as well, including a stint of riding 200odd miles a week across London.

I’m working in the US at the moment, and wangled it so that I could take my commuter with me, 9.5 miles each way on mixed roads, the drivers are actually far more careful/courteous than back home which was a surprise.

Everyone thinks I’m mad, but then again Englishmen are supposed to be eccentric…

alwillis

Commuting by bike is the only thing that keeps me sane in London sometimes. I’m also lucky in that I don’t ride in rush hour so get nice empty roads at least in one direction 🙂

fasthaggis

Nice one Ned , north London is where my commuting bug started.
    I do a load more miles up here now,but I really enjoyed all the different routes in from Walthamstow to town.
    Connecting up the tow paths and parks to stay off the roads was fun. 🙂

hot_fiat

Yep, I used to do Finchley to High Holborn, and then when we moved offices, Finchley to Uxbridge. The only place I was slow was Highate Hill on the way home, but conquered that eventually with some help from a HRM.

Metasequoia

Nice post, thank you,,inspiring-extra bike, bed, wife and saving cash…..

takisawa2

Top thread. Started commuting on a BMX at 16. Nearly 30yrs later I still get exactly the same buzz. There really is nothing like it. Some mornings when I walk in & all the tin boxers are sipping tea, I feel I’ve been privvy to something special. My commute isn’t far, but it’s a school run then work run combined. Early in the new year it will double in length to 4-5 miles. Can’t wait. 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

and also, think about the years added to your life by keeping fit (lets ignore pollution).

I miss a longer commute. Mine’s 10 minutes (always by bike). 6 if I’m running late. It takes longer to open the gates and then park a car at the other end.

ska-49
    Free Member

Hope you don’t mind the thread hijack..
    I’m on a low budget for my first commuter bike whilst I wait for C2W.
    Is this reasonable for sub £200?

Giant Escape 4
    Mavic A319 on Deores
    New drivetrain- 21spd.
    Schwalbe marathon plus tires 28c

ton

ska, that is the perfect commuting bike, guards, tough tyres and cheap.
    awesome. 8)

brakes
    Free Member

looks a bit girly.
    flatter stem, flatter bars and a sharp saddle should do it!

billytinkle
    Free Member

To Nedrapier – that is one lovely looking bike! How do you find the shifters? And what brake levers are you using?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by bike – a happy 3 year adds-up’ is closed to new replies.