Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuting advise & Commuterise my bike
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

Long time member & lurker (pre-hack), but not much of a poster.

I recently started a new job after moving that mean’s I should be able to do a bit of commuting again, I used to commute 12 miles each way mainly along the Kennet & Avon canal into Newbury, although that was 6 years ago and my riding over the past couple of years has been minimal…

Job is in Royal Wootton Basset and I’ll be coming from Chippenham to anyone who knows the area, planned route is around 16 miles each way, mainly country lanes with a small amount of track.  I was thinking of starting just twice a week and only half a round trip journey, ie drive in Monday, ride home and ride back in Tuesday morning to get some sort of fitness back up, sound plan?

I plan to use my older 26″ HT a Sanderson Life, which is setup with SLX groupset, Fox 120mm forks and folding Racing Ralph tyres.  Whilst the tyres are reasonably light and roll ok, would I benefit from buying some sort of semi-slicks, which don’t weight a ton?

Only other thought was for some Exotic Carbon forks to save a bit of weight, but not sure if it’s worth it… or should I focus on any other area?

Pic of bike, if it works;

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMjYHMuHitdWRkv5E-nS2aaV_nDetaVzemLRYxcRr0beZA1qqXabz-ZuN8iYTFpiA?key=U3VqcjRBaHZ1NEJEUi04V25CM1dVeXBJdlRpb0FR%5B/img%5D

joshvegas
    Free Member

That pic link isnt working.

I’d sack off the fork for sonething rigid and light. And full slicks like big apples.

And the mist mist cr crutial bit.

Mudguards

Mudguards

Mudguards

Proper ones too that go all the way round the wheel and have a little flap on the front one.

kcr
    Free Member

Mudguards, rack and a pannier.

The important things for a commuter are reliability, easy carrying and all weather capability. Don’t worry too much about weight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    northernremedy

Mudguards plus one.

I got an orange rx9 for the commute. Perfect – big mudguards, 40mm tyres for comfort and bombproof!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

So maybe some mudguards?? ☺ I have some Crud catchers laying around I think…

I plan to leave stuff at work so minimal to no carrying needed.

Just tyres to maybe change, would heavier semi slick commuter type tyres be better than the lighter Racing Ralph’s?

cobrakai

I’ve done the same with my old 26inch trek 6500.

11 miles each way

1 x 11 for simplicity. 36t chain ring.

Can’t recommend continental double fighter enough. In 3 years I’m still on the same pair with 1 puncture. Nail.

Mud guards

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>always just commuted with a rucksack. I put a high vis cover over it.</span>

shermer75
    Free Member

I was thinking of starting just twice a week and only half a round trip journey, ie drive in Monday, ride home and ride back in Tuesday morning to get some sort of fitness back up, sound plan?

Yes!

plan to use my older 26″ HT a Sanderson Life, which is setup with SLX groupset, Fox 120mm forks and folding Racing Ralph tyres.  Whilst the tyres are reasonably light and roll ok, would I benefit from buying some sort of semi-slicks, which don’t weight a ton?

I use Schwalbe Marathon Racers which work well, Supremes would be better but they are expensive. Currently tubeless, which is great for not getting punctures but it does mean I have to not inflate above 50-60 psi or the sidewall springs a leak and/or pop off the rim and explode, which does mean they feel a bit slower. The fastest tyre I’ve used is prob the 1 1/3 inch Kojaks, loved those!! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Ps +1 for mudguards 😉

martymac

Mudguards are a must.

carbon forks will probably be a bit lighter, but crucially have no moving parts to get ruined with road crud.

slick, or semi slick tyres, may be lighter, or not, but will roll better. I personally wouldn’t go too narrow here, wider will give a much better ride.

lights that are bright enough, and last long enough for the whole commute. Consider a dynamo.

some type of seatpack, or top tube bag, to carry your toolkit, minimum of multitool, chain link, pump and spare tube.

maybe some bar ends, road use tends to leave your hands in one position for a long time, bar ends give you a change.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuting advise & Commuterise my bike’ is closed to new replies.