Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Commuting Advice Please…
  • flowerpower
    Free Member

For a number of reasons I am looking at being without a car for the next few months. I have a handle on most of it, but I am nervous about my 16 mile each way bike commute over the winter.

How ‘do able’ is 16 miles each way in practical terms (I have ridden it on odd days, but always had a car as an opt out in the rain / snow / ice etc). It will be mainly on B roads in fairly rural central Scotland, with some unclassified roads thrown in, am thinking of using my cx bike, rather than road bike.

What should I stash at work to make it easier?

How do you cope when work has no shower or storage (for wet smelly gear)?

Can I get by with an old Carradice saddle bag (with dry bags inside) or should I be looking at panniers as an essential – and which ones…?

I appreciate that I will work this out as I go, but would like to be as prepared as possible…

Any advice gratefully received.

ton

full guards and schwalbe marathon tyres. 34 years cycle commuter here.

jekkyl

That’s a fair old distance every day but not impossible. Can you catch a train some of the way there or home for when the weather is atrocious? As regards no shower, just take a flannel and go in the disabled loo when you get in, wash all sweaty areas and dry, spray and then change. You’ll be needing to leave a bag of clothes and shoes there for all week though so might be better if you could get in by other means at least once a week.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’ve got a drying room at our work, not sure I’d like to do a full winter without something of that ilk otherwise you’re pulling on stinky wet gear at the end of the day. Your feet WILL be wet, no chance of drying out and even winter dboots wont keep it all out. mudgurds, mud guards and more more mudguards

Take your work clothes for the week in on Monday, baby wipes at work for a tramps bath in the morning, deodourant etc in your drawer.

DO your own washing to avoid a significant uplift in harrrrumphing

Also always have at least two rear lights ON all the time for redundancy (USB) rechargeable varieties ftw – and carry a couple of little LED flashers for emergencies

Cross bike would be better with big tyres at high pressures for all those potholes you’ll miss

marrv
    Free Member

I did 15 mile each way everyday for about 8 years on CX bike with full guards and rack and 37c marathons. Switch to MTB for snow days. Doing 8 mile now after moving,but miss my longer commute.
    just always have a pannier at work for my stuff. Started with panniers and then just use top bag on the rack. With pannier stashed if needed for extra gear. As my commute can be mega windy and panniers felt like anchors. Also even use a trailer now and then then for big stuff (Like all the odd socks and festering kit) .
    I have a shower here at work. though have perfected the art of not getting sweaty when riding to work. its like you save it for home time.
    Stuff the cold and rain, not bothered. The frustration of traffic when driving and cramming on trains etc drives me mental. Just stick at it.
    After all these years I still lay my kit next to the bed so i put it on when I get up! Good luck!
    I 2nd extra lights

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to most of what’s been written:

Full length mudguards will keep most of the water off you, waterproof overshoes will deal with anything that gets past the front one. Double up on rear lights just in case one fails. Having USB rechargeable lights means you can just plug them in to your computer or a wall socket and know that they’ll be fully charged for the ride home. Ideally get a dynamo hub – nothing to forget!

Leave as much stuff at work as you can. I leave a pair of shoes, trousers, jacket, socks and underpants. I then only need to take shirt, underpants and socks. If I forget the underpants or sock (or they get wet for some reason on the way in) then I don’t have to go commando.

Have a shower/bath before you set off – fresh sweat doesn’t smell or at least not as badly as stale sweat. Don’t rush on the way in and slow up about five minutes from work to let you cool down before you reach the office. Forget Strava! We’ve no shower at our office, I just wait about fifteen minutes to cool down before changing then a quick wipe down with baby wipes and a bit of deodorant. No-one’s complained yet!

Carradice saddlebag will be fine for quite a bit of stuff, my wife’s used one for credit card bike touring. But put everything in a dry bag inside it.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I used to commute 15 mile each way.

There was no shower at work, i used to have a flannel wash in the sink of the disabled bog. Shower before i left home, clean bike gear every day, and obviously clean work gear to change into. It wasn’t a problem. Drying my kit out during the day so i wasn’t putting damp cycling gear back on at night was a tougher problem. I also used to drive to work on a Monday morning with enough clothes for the week and bike in the boot. Then ride home, leaving the car at work until Friday.

TiRed

Keep your shoes at work, along with other clothes if you can (I only take shirts as needed and underwear). Don’t hammer it on the way in if there is no shower. Mudguards are vital. Keep a spare pair of undies at work.

You will be tired for the first month, but there is no improvement in fitness like it. After a couple of months you’ll think it is the best part of our day.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Mileage – 16 miles is doable as a commute -nice mileage actually- but don’t kick yerself if you don’t manage it every day at first. Be prepared to eat more and to not be bothered about riding on nights or weekends. As you said you’ll get used to it and figure a lot out as you go.

Clothes – keep the luggage down, leave shoes and jackets/jumpers/towel/deodorants at work, just commute with the minimum of clothes when you can BUT do keep spares at work just in case. Over winter you wont sweat as much and maybe ask around near where you work, somebody might have a shower you can use. Server rooms are usually empty and generate tons of heat, maybe they have a door you can hang stuff on. If not, again ask around the office and let people know, they might have secret places to hang stuff that doesn’t mean smelly hellys stinking the place out. Always put yer fresh clothes in a plastic bag, keeps them dry.

Bike – a CX bike in the central belt is probably sensible over the winter. Guards are a good idea as are decent lights plus a back up for emergencies. over shoes as weather get colder.

landslide

In addition to the previous point about mudguard all the things!, get some extra-long mudflaps to go on them.

br
    Free Member

As above, but have a bail-out option – ie if it’s snowing (and dark been Scotland), how are you getting to work or back home?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Re the Carradice – I’ve used a Nelson for the past few years and I’ve never bothered with a drybag, I can only think of 1 or 2 times when the inside has been damp from the rain.
    The outside does get a sprayed with some reproofing spray every few months.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

16 miles each way is a long way if you’re doing it 5 days a week, every week IMO. No amount of bike fiddling or buying various bags (it’s just personal preference) will change that. You’ll need an alternative.

Saccades
    Free Member

AS above – only time I would be nervous on countryside commutes is when it’s icy.

Not too sure about the UK, but here in Ireland they are stingy with the salt (and often put grit down) and slipping at speed when clipped in is lethal.

I have a hardtail set up with spikes for winter – like cycling using velcro though. So if Icy see if you have a backup option/take it handy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

How ‘do able’ is 16 miles each way in practical terms

It is doable, I do 20 miles each way Kilmarnock to Glasgow, pretty much every day and only take the car if I have something else I need to do.

5 days a week over winter will be hard going though, I do it but it is tough. Constant riding in the dark, in the cold, in the rain, always a heeadwind home, does get to you if you’re not used to it.

Leave what you can at work, if I’m not taking the car any day during the week I’ll take a rucksack in on a Monday with shirts/pants and lunch for a few days then take it home on a friday. Lunch goes in my back pockets the other days.

No showers is the tough one over winter, if its raining or the roads are wet then even with full guards your legs will still get gritty.

Edit: if it’s icy then give it a miss, on icy days I used to just go anyway, but after a few falls and some scars its not worth the stress. I tried ice spike tyres last year but riding on the road over ice is just horrible, even if its unlikely you’ll slide.

I use a pinnacle arkose 4 with 28mm conti 4 seasons and full guards, 2 lights front and back.

i_like_food

I haven’t commuted every day but mine is a similar distance.

A cross bike with guards and a rack is spot on, I use panniers and a dry bag but plan carefully so I don’t end up taking the kitchen sink (although a couple of times I messed up and had two classes worth of exercise books plus some textbooks, that was a bit cheeky!)

The only thing I can add is to plan your food. I have a quick coffee then breakfast at work. A Tupperware of oats, cinnamon, ginger and a chunk of coconut oil (it’s hard at room temp) doesn’t go off if you forget about it but will make a nice brekkie with just boiling water if you pour, stir and leave. I also have a stash of protein powder for quick snacks and to make sure I get enough fluid (often forget to drink on a busy day) and buy lunch at the canteen which means I don’t have to worry about cooking a ‘proper’dinner.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Great – thanks folks.

Cx bike presently just has crud catchers – so I will get full mudguards and flaps fitted.

I have two pairs of ‘waterproof’ mtb boots, so can alternate somehow.

Will stash spare clothes, socks, shoes and extra waterproof under my desk.

Alternative route is a 6 mile tarmac cycle path to the nearest station, then a 40 minute train journey – not quicker, but an option in the snow (on the MTB)

Lights – I have an exposure maxx and joystick for the front, need to order some back lights.

@thestabiliser – I am the ‘harrrumpher’ 😉

Will give it extra time on the way in – arriving not sweaty sounds like the best start.

Thanks again, makes me feel a lot more comfortable with giving it a go.

EDIT – Food – good point will have to look at this.

mrchrispy

having a decent bail out option really does make it easier, I have to do 10 miles in biblical wind one dark night. never been so scared before, on the roads every junction tried to blow me into traffic and off road it felt like trees were about to fall on me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have two pairs of ‘waterproof’ mtb boots, so can alternate somehow.

Best thing I bought last year was a shoe dryer from Clas Ohlson, it was only £20. Get home with wet shoes or boots, stick them on the shoe dryer, dry shoes in the morning.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hah!

I run my joystick on my helmet and my racemaxx (flash) on the bars coupled to a redeye, the charge is good for over 4 hours.

I also run some additional smart brand (or a copy of) 1w rear lights, 1 on constant and 1 on flashing.

Plus I use xt trekking pedals as they have reflectors and are very good.

Oh and a tub of assos/vaseline at work – on the return home damp gear will chafe a bit easier and you’ll get chapped lips in the cold.

scud
    Free Member

You’ll soon work up to the distance and 16 miles not to bad.

For me, make sure you have a dedicated commuter bike, that you aren’t going to be changing tyres on or taking mudguards off to change it use for weekend.

Fit quality mudguards, and good puncture proof tyres, personal favourites for me have been Conti 4 Seasons and Michelin Power Endurance (schwalbe marathons are very puncture proof but hard work for 2 hours a day).

If you have storage for clean clothes like desk draw, then i try to ride in monday morning with clothes for week in rucksack and home with the dirty washing friday, riding without bag in between, which is much nicer.

Always carry 2 inner tubes, so you can get home and make sure your pump is up to the job, first i had struggled to get road tyre above 60psi which is fine in the sunshine, but grim in a snow storm in December!

Good quality lights, one flashing and one constant on rear, Front bright enough YOU can see, not just be seen, so that you can see the potholes/dead animals/ random items in gutter!

Don’t be scared to wear hi-viz, it may not be cool and people may argue that it doesn’t make any difference, but you will see when you are commuting how much you can see others with it.

tomaso
    Free Member

Emergency pants and socks stashed at work v. Panniers are better than a rucksack

TiRed

Ah yes, newspaper for drying shoes in the airing cupboard and a spare set of gloves for nice dry hands. I commute in all weathers including ice, but my ice machine has three wheels. I agree, it is pretty miserable on icy roads, but it is not as bad as one might think. I live in the soft south east, however!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I did 11 flat miles for a while, sometimes took a longer ride if the weather was good. I’d think most would cope with 16 ok, it will be tiring at first but you’ll get used to it. Toughest thing is when you have a few wet days in a row, but that’s not as often as you might fear…

Suggest you build up to it before you lose the car, try consecutive days maybe up to 4x per week (mon-tu, thu-fri).

Never had showers, keep plenty of clean clothes at work and use a damp flannel in toilets. I actually had a private office in my first job, a luxury never repeated since.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I agree, it is pretty miserable on icy roads, but it is not as bad as one might think. I live in the soft south east, however!

I live in the west of scotland, its not worth the risk.

steezysix
    Free Member

Think about getting a dynamo front hub and lights, you’ll neer have to think about batteries and charging again. Shimano hubs and B&M lights are great, you don’t need to spend £100’s.

A lot of mudguards don’t have decent spray flaps on them, you can easily improve/make your own using some old bits of lino and have them long enough that they almost touch the ground. It makes a huge difference to how dry your feet will stay.

Put your masculinity aside and get a pink hi-vis vest, you’d be suprised how much extra space drivers will give if they think you’re a laydee…

Merino wool is good, particularly t-shirts as you can ride in them and they don’t stink.

SaxonRider

otherwise you’re pulling on stinky wet gear at the end of the day.

It sort of depends on how you need to dress for work. If it is not too formal, then you might just wear dark trousers that don’t show how wet they are, and let them dry while wearing. Uncomfortable for the first few hours, but they eventually dry. Then you can always just take a shirt with you each day, and possibly a pair of socks if your feet are getting wet, keeping a towel and deodorant spray in your desk.

If more formal, then just keep a suit at work, and change in the toilets when you get in.

Finally, if you have nowhere to keep clothes at all, and nowhere to change, I just don’t know.

igm

Always have an n-1 option on your lights. One of them will fail at some point – and country roads in the darker are scary because even if your eyes have adjusted to the dark, drivers won’t see you.

whitestone
    Free Member

Arm and leg warmers. Really useful in autumn and spring when it can be quite cool in the morning and much warmer on the ride home. Avoids having to carry both long and short sleeved tops.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s doable, but personally I’d want to factor in a rest day somewhere, especially if you want to ride at the weeks.

As said above: full guards are a must. Personally I’m a massive advocate of hi-vis too – remove as many excuses for stupid driving as possible.

Dedicated commuting bike makes life easier. I went SS too purely to cut down on chance of mechanicals, but that’s also dictated by terrain.

Spare pants and socks at work. Or even better (and if possible), take in a full wardrobe at the start of the week.

Last time I spent serious time commuting I was doing 15 miles each way round outer London. I had a choice of hilly quieter route or flatter, quicker busy route. However a prolonged icy period had me back in the car. I can live with the cold in the right kit, but icy conditions and impatient Surrey commuters was enough to keep me off the bike (I moved shortly afterwards).

Edit:

Always have an n-1 option on your lights. One of them will fail at some point – and country roads in the darker are scary because even if your eyes have adjusted to the dark, drivers won’t see you.

Arm and leg warmers. Really useful in autumn and spring when it can be quite cool in the morning and much warmer on the ride home. Avoids having to carry both long and short sleeved tops.

Totally agreed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In all seriousness, if I was in the OPs shoes, I’d get an ebike. No doubt about that at all.

eulach

Don’t have any active time or distance measuring devices. If you’re running late then be late.

highlandman
    Free Member

From my experience-
    It will be hard to do every day but is do-able. You’ll have to listen to your body though, especially if you get ill.
    When day after day commuting, I think overshoes are better than winter boots, making your shoes less likely to fill up with water. Winter boots take ages to dry out.
    It’s worth trying to fit the leg of your tights over the outside of the overshoes, again helping keeping water out. Overshoes over winter boots is even betterer… But can be hot.

Make a little time in your schedule for washing the bike every night- otherwise our good Scottish road salt will eat your bike alive in three months. Having a garden hose, bucket and head torch handy is essential, preferably with a sheltered spot to actually do the deed as a windy street or exposed gateway on a cold and stormy night is no place to be working on your bike. Be meticulous when working on the bike- grease everything when assembling, that sort of thing. Carry a little pouch of spares- mech hanger, jockey wheel, tyre & tube patches, chain quick links, gear cable. Think about what could break if you drop the bike in the road.
    Have a think about people you know who live on or near your route- where can you get shelter, help or just a cup of tea..?
    Light and moderate snow isn’t a problem on a normal set of semi-slicks but frozen slush is vile.

Gary_M
    Free Member

In all seriousness, if I was in the OPs shoes, I’d get an ebike. No doubt about that at all.

Why would there be an need to use an ebike for a 15 mile bike ride?

Make a little time in your schedule for washing the bike every night- otherwise our good Scottish road salt will eat your bike alive in three months.

I don’t do this and I’ve been commuting by bike for 10 years, I’ll lube the chain but there’s no way I’m coming in after a freezing/wet/windy ride and washing a bike.

I agree that snow isn’t an issue, I love a snowy ride and slicks cut through thick fresh snow fine.

[/url]Snowy commute home by Gary MacLean, on Flickr[/img]

DezB
    Free Member

Why would there be an need to use an ebike for a 15 mile bike ride?

It’s riding for an hour or so (yes it is, when carrying all your gear and trying not to get sweaty) with no showers or changing facilities at the end. Then riding home again, probably in wet, smelly kit, after sitting in your own juices for the day. That’d put me off. Or make me look at getting an eBike!

corroded
    Free Member

Ice would be my main worry at that time of year. Not sure what you can do about that except for fatter, stickier tyres(?!). I’ve done 10 miles each way daily and that’s fine. And a spate of 19 miles, which made me a lot hungrier and more tired. I’d also say it’s an hour minimum riding time. Probably more like 1.5hrs.
    If you’ve not got showers you should be ok with baby wipes…

flowerpower
    Free Member

Cool.

It is really good to hear folks doing these distances regularly. My only opt out will be a 6 mile MTB ride to the nearest train station, with another mile or so at the other end, so I want to be as prepared as possible.

Building upto it is a good plan. I will have a car for the next month, so I will start riding 2/3 days.

Riding at weekends will be shelved, I ride MTB for fun, and always get a bit pissed off with the mud in winter, so will be happy to just keep fit commuting this year.

Clothes at work, need to be semi formal, but I have a few smart ish dresses that will roll up ok, I’ll keep a jacket and boots at work. Don’t really do suits.

@ peterpoddy – and there I was looking at your croix de fer… rather than an ebike (although you must be 500 miles to far south for me) 😉

@ garym – I’m not too far from you, but on the east side, so hoping it’ll be slightly drier.

Bike spares & extra tubes I’ll look into.

I have overshoes, so can try those vs boots depending on the weather.

All good info. Thank you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Building upto it is a good plan. I will have a car for the next month, so I will start riding 2/3 days.

Its a tough time of year to start commuting by bike, no happy sunny days in the bank to get you through the dark winter months.

Good luck.

flowerpower
    Free Member

^ I know, but this is out of necessity rather than choice. If I can get through to spring then things should get easier again.

Thanks.

scud
    Free Member

Further to my comments above, and it will depend on how hilly it is near you, but a singlespeed road bike makes commuting sense. Lot cheaper to run and for parts especially in the winter and you get used to it. My commute is 36-56 miles a day, and i’m a 16 stone biffer, but you work your way up to it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Advice Please…’ is closed to new replies.