Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Commuters/regular roadies – your crash stats?
  • acidchunks

In Manchester, 4.5 years, 2 crashes.

One into a pedestrian who walked out in front of me without looking, I swerved to miss him and we clipped shoulders, he was fine but I was left picking bits of road out of my arms and legs. He did apologise profusely though.

Second was my own fault. Riding in at 5 am, fell asleep on the bike and woke up as I hit the pavement.

More than enough close calls with silly drivers, I don’t put it down to luck, more good anticipation and powerful brakes. Which can’t be said for the fixie bellend I saw crash a few weeks ago as he tried to undertake a car turning left.

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Must be around 12 years of a 3-and-a-half mile commute.

One me/pedestrian collision – pelican crossing, green traffic light, teenage girl chatting to pals, didn’t even look around before stepping off the pavement. I learned to not trust peds at all.
    One whoops dismount – it wasn’t icy, but it had been raining. Sharp right turn at a junction, front wheel washes out, bike and I carry on sliding, crossing a lane and a half, without so much as a graze. I learned to take that corner much slower in the wet as it seems to be peculiarly non-adhesive. Even witnessed another cyclist do exactly the same thing at the same corner.
    One me/pedestrian near-miss – I overtook a bus that was stationary. Just about to get level with drivers cab when I spot a granny crossing the road in front of it. My emergency stop somersaulted me over the handlebars, landing at the granny’s feet, dislocating my shoulder. Bus driver commended me on the acrobatic avoiding tactic. I learned to pass buses much slower.
    One me/car collision – two lane road, left hand lane a bus/bike lane. Car passed me then pulled into left-hand lane to undertake queue in right-hand lane. But then changed his mind. So stopped, indicating to try to get back into the right-hand lane. I hadn’t slowed down as expected them to carry on, realised too late and rear-ended them. That wasn’t bad at all, it was one of those little Renault people carriers, soft and bouncy. The subsequent landing on the ground was much worse. Driver was almost in tears with apologising and SMIDSYing.
    And only one me/car shouty incident – same road as the me/car colision, me in the bike lane, car (non-taxi) comes up behind me undertaking the queue. I’m a safe distance from kerb. At the next lights loudly tells me to move further over so he can get past.

I think that’s not too bad over the years.

IA

Been commuting by bike for about 12 years, various places/routes.

I find sometimes I go for ages with no bother, and sometimes I’m cursed…

Innumerable nearmisses/people being idiots.

Had one unlucky period of about 8 months where I crashed badly on ice twice, once on a massive oil slick (!) on a corner, and got stung in the eye by a bee*

*I can highly advise against this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dazh

10 years commuting about 10-20 miles per day and generally riding a bike around Manchester:

2 times knocked off by cars not looking where they’re going (unhurt both times)
    3 collisions with Ipod wearing pedestrians who walked out in front of me
    1 black ice
    1 riding into a cycle lane entrance barrier whilst not paying attention
    1 riding into the kerb whilst drunk and hitting a lampost (not sure I should admit that one!)
    Countless near-misses & arguments with drivers
    0 fights

sleepless
    Free Member

Eskdale, West Cumbria (Hardknott Pass at the end of it)

past 3 years,
    32 mile commute there and back
    bit longer if I do the pass top out for extra pain training.

1x crash major head injury 4 months no cycling.
    1x near death by two stone wagons
    no trouble on ice yet.
    1x pot hole destroyed front wheel

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Commuters/regular roadies – your crash stats?’ is closed to new replies.