Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commuters/Roadies – Hi-Viz jerseys?
  • timc
    Free Member

Hoping for some buying / visibility advice!

Recently been riding a fair bit on the road, currently using a Endura FS260 Jersey with its wind proof front panels! Seems about right in current season.

However im finding myself riding at night on the road & its black back isnt the best for visibility, I was wondering if you regular road riders could suggest some Hi-Viz jerseys for this time of year or would you simply recommend Hi-Viz vest / Gillets over the top?

Any recommendations / Opinions welcome! Thanks 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

dunno about jerseys, but i wear reflective straps on my ankles when i ride at night. They are possible more visible/easier to spot for drivers cos the are moving up and down when your pedalling. Get some of these, there cheap

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi-viz gillet for me, get a lightweight no frills one and you'll hardly notice you're wearing it but you'll be visible (*START OF RANT* well more visible some car drivers seem to be blind to anything however bright *END OF RANT*)

timc
    Free Member

Leftyboy, do you mean one like the workys wear?

rkk01
    Free Member

I had a few close calls commuting during December – so I got a Hump reflective backpack cover, and Mrs rkk01 bought me an Alura Night Vision Jacket.
    Didn't make a shred of difference 👿

ski
    Free Member

Did anyone ever find a suppler who did the Police "Polite Cyclist" Hi-Vis?

tron
    Free Member

There are a few firms that do custom printed hi-vis jackets online. Google!

MisterT

I use a highly reflective TimbUK2 courier bag on my back. it's black with a 7" wide virtical strip of silver/white reflective material that goes right up over and under the bag, making you unmissable when overs are using headlights.
    like this

timc
    Free Member

I don't have a bag & dont fancy carrying an empty one about 🙂

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I have used various things. I had one of the high vis jackets which was great but in the summer I started of u´sing a labourer-style high vis vest(although it was massive of me and I ended up sewing it down the seams). My uncle bought me a mesh style vest with just strips of reflective stuff sewn in various places which was really good as it wasn't too hot (on the occasional balmy evening) and packed up really small to take with me – it even fitted in my handbag!

Nick

Poundland often have hi-vis vests in.

DezB
    Free Member

Altura Night Vision stuff is worth a look.

Ikea do cheap hi-vis tabards, very thin. Wouldn't wear one myself though!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I reckon ankle bands are very effective but I've had trouble finding any that last (tend to tear or the velcro goes)- anyone got any recommendations.

I've got a Ground Effect gilet that's pretty good but it's too hot in summer. Buy tops and rucksucks in bright colours.

rootes1

i have a pearl izumi high viz, has zip off arms so can be used as a gillet in the summer,

though just bought white, yes white endura waterproof – very visible!

itchypedro
    Free Member

Another ankle band man here – at night.
    I got mine here

Bright clothing <might> make it easier to see you during low light but reflectives are much better in the dark.

ohh and I have cateye tl rear light which is really good – at least that's what I've been told by other people.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Altura night vision jacket for 6-7 months of the year, rest of the time cheap hi viz vest. Currently use a DHB rucsac that has a yellow waterproof cover (not hi viz, distinctly not when worn with the jacket or vest.

Been thinking of seeing how much those hi viz polo shirts are in B&Q as an alternative.

aP
    Free Member

I've been using the Respro Hi-viz ankle bands (both round my ankles and on my wrists and on the bobyak) for the last few years. They seem to last quite well and have the added benefit of being bright colours during daylight, then having a reflective side for night time. As they got a little give in the material they seem to last quite well and don't kill the velcro within weeks.

unstableJ
    Free Member

I "borrow" 😉 a long sleeved High-Vis vest from work for around town. Costs me nowt.

…still doesn't stop Volvos driving into you, or folks pulling out into the bus lane on Eccy Road while only looking the other way (rant over…)

jonb
    Free Member

gilet or light windproof for me most of the time.

cycle-clothing.co.uk do some high vis jerseys.

Lusso, altura both do a high vis softshell/windproof jersey.

rootes1

get one of these light sets – £16 worth it for the rear light alone – it is super bright:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/smart-b-spoke-1-2-led-lightset-id41560.html

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commuters/Roadies – Hi-Viz jerseys?’ is closed to new replies.