Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Commuters – what 700c tyres for the wet winter months?
  • xiphon
    Free Member

Oh my, I’ve reached the dizzy heights of “What tyre?” threads….

What 700 road tyres can people recommend for the winter?

Currently using some Schwalbe Lugano 700x23c tyres, which came on the bike… nothing short of lethal in the wet…. amazed I haven’t come off yet (few brown moments though!).

Thanks!

xiphon
    Free Member

Ah wait…. just found another thread about this topic….

Continental GP4 seem to be a favourite?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GP4seasons are popular, although mine fell apart in sunlight, so 3 season and dont leave outside in summer then!

I’ve use Schwalbe Blizzards, far cheeper, seem to be puncture resistant enough and grip is fine. I find with road tyres unless they’re really cheep (I’ve some £10/pair michelins which are horrible and used only on the turbo!) that grip is fairly consistent, it’s feel and rolling resistance which drops.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m using Schwalbe Marathon plus. Not the lightest or fastest rolling. But I’m quite happy to sacrifice them for not having to fix punctures.

soundninjauk

GP 4 seasons here, personally I think they’re wonderful things.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Gatorskins here. Never had a problem with them. The GP4000s on the nice bike seem fairly handy too.

pcb
    Free Member

+1 for Gatorskins

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Maxxis Re-Fuse. I’ve found them puncture proof and grippy.

PMK2060

+1 for Gatorskins. No punctures in 12 months of commuting. I have just swapped them for Schwalbe Landcruisers as my commute is now 80% off road. No punctures so far but i have only done about 200 miles so early days.

samuri
    Free Member

GP4000’s here too, for my road bike anyway. My commute is probably a bit muddy for those.

No idea how my 4000’s react to sunlight though, how did you find that out?

ourmaninthenorth

Conti GP4S in 25c or Vittoria Pavé in 24c.

xiphon
    Free Member

Thanks everybody!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Marathon plus

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience with Continental – Top CONTACT Winter II Premium’s? They seem to have been specially designed with winter in mind, even the compound is special for low temperature.

I’m wondering just how draggy they end up being.

aP
    Free Member

I just use Continental GP4 Season 23’s – I’ve ridden nearly 6,000 miles so far this year on a set of them.

mrmo
    Free Member

running a michilien pro3 on the front and a vredestein fortezza tricomp on the back. Run them till they are dead and buy some more. Seems to work for the 120miles a week i am doing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My winter marathon ice spikes just arrived and will be going on at first frost but then im in the north!

PrinceJohn

+1 Gatorskins

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone used Conti Sport Contact? Seems like a half price alternative to GP4seasons and in bigger sizes?

Anyone know how TPI is actually measured? Some seem to list 70tpi, others 4 layers 280tpi in total. Just wondering as usually I’d assume that more=better, but are some tyres actually 120tpi or are they just 60tpi with 2 layers?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Not the lightest, but I use Halo Twin Rail Couriers on my singlespeed 700 x 24 of pink loveliness on the front and green on the rear, coped well yesterday on wet and icy leaves and damp roads

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – what 700c tyres for the wet winter months?’ is closed to new replies.