Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Commuters – just me, or does anyone else…
  • IA

…. enliven the ride in with running tour style commentary in their head?

Today an early attack on the col du morningside saw me take another glorious stage victory. However, I was a sweaty mess when I got in, due to chasing down the counterattack of the no. 23 bus on the col du bruntsfield.

No? Just me then…

theflatboy
    Free Member

just you, but i reckon i'm going to start! 🙂

kimbers

erm no i just try and ride some steps bg tesco at kensington is good or hop up onto the kerb now and again, especially high kerbs with a bit of embankment on the side of the A4 near hammersmith

meehaja
    Free Member

I take it as a personal challenge if a motorist looks at me and try to race them. Also I'm "always" first across the junction once the lights go green… everyone loves racing from the lights!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just you.
    Dont like racing across junctions either.
    Just wanna get to work – road riding is no fun at all.

theflatboy
    Free Member

everyone loves racing from the lights!

i love giving those bastards on geared bikes the false sense of victory as they pull away faster than me, before i get up to pedalling speed and obliterate them! HAHAHAHAHA!

IA

Haha, the racing at lights is a classic too. Best is when you stop at the lights, another commuter pulls up, looks at you, you look at them and know it's on. Sprint for the lights!

Admittedly that's only happened to me twice, but it was quality both times.

Coffeeking – either your work's amazing or you should try lightening up a bit, make the commute a bit of fun in the morning 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I tend to sing badly or have random tourettes style swearing sessions in the middle of nowhere.
    Both being slightly embarrassing when you notice another cyclist tailing you 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I get to both race the lights and and see if anyone dares to overtake me with the speed camera there… two have been flashed doing this 😆

nbt

Don't do the commentary thing but if I see anyone on a bike in front of mee, I will hunt down and pass them. It's so very frustrating if they turn off before you do so, I've been tempted to follow the, pass them, then turn round and continue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I get ridiculously competative, unfortunately my new commute is only three miles long, dead straight and a 60mph limit. May have to take a diversion via the countryside to pick on a few mear mortal commuters.

DezB
    Free Member

I mostly listen to loud music and swear at motorists. Don't get much thought time for anything else.

Tim
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member

I tend to sing badly or have random tourettes style swearing sessions in the middle of nowhere.
    Both being slightly embarrassing when you notice another cyclist tailing you

heh

I did that the other evening 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

sprinting from lights is so uncool, doubly so if you have changed down a few gears so your chicken legs can spin away at 100 within seconds…

You'll tend to find the guy on the road bike will overtake you after 100m or so…

GhostRider
    Free Member

My favoraties are,
    Racing buses between red lights.
    Track standing and predicting green lights, this can infuriate motroists as much as just going through the red.
    Pursuit racing distant cyclists, (i only ever catch the slow ones). I passed a guy this morning just as he reached the crest of a hill,,titter, titter.
    Seeing the look on the motorists face as i pass them when they're slowing to avoid the speed camera at the bottom of a hill.
    Also guilty of singing along to fave tunes on the MP3.

Oh it sounds fun, can't wait to go home…….

dmiller
    Free Member

+1 🙂

jackthedog
    Free Member

I generally sing out loud to whatever song I have stuck in my head.

kimbers

oooh yeah love the trackstanding thing at lights and for some reason motorists really do hate it 😉

soulwood
    Free Member

Yesterday as I rode home I noticed a guy on a nice looking bike join the road behind me. Some minutes later I was grinding into a strong headwind, cussing loudly when I suddenly thought "hey wheres that guy gone?" and lo and behold he was tucked in right behind me. I pulled out and told him that it was his turn on the front and he duly obliged and took the front for the rest of the road. Now theres a tour de france moment for you. Luckily I was able to keep up with him…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Same as nbt.
    I have to climb a small hill outside my place of work so if i see anyone at the crest of the hill (about 200m away) it gives me just under a mile to catch and pass before i have to turn off. I play lead out man and sprinter all in one. I usually win then congratulate myself for a good lead out!!! Even better now I use my roadie for the commute.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not especially while commuting but I have a habbit of chunering/singing to myslef when out in the woods 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

i have a mate who does this, out loud, every time we go out on the road; luckily he *too* often! 🙂

2tyred

tour style commentary

Heh heh, me too!

I've been enjoying bursting away up the hors-categorie Firhill Road – well, it feels that way on a fixed wheel – through the crowd of mentalists blocking the road waving Basque flags (Buckfast bottles) on my way to the summit to take the red-peas points at the entrance to Ruchill Park.

You can't beat a good commuter race. I've only ever been properly beaten once, by a guy in club gear on a tasty-looking Ribble road bike. Ruined my whole week, that did.

IA

Glad to hear I'm not (that) weird!

And better this has turned into a good thread on things people do to keep commutes interesting, so keep them coming folks 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

i constantly think about writing one of this shit christmas present type books about urban riding, with a list of names for different scenarios. so am always giving different things names as i go, eg. the red blocker – when you know you can go through a red light junction without slowing down cos a bus has obstructed both the intersecting lane and the crossing. 🙂

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I used to love racing other cyclists up the hill in Sheffield, pass them with a cheery hello while flaunting my big 8months pregnant belly.

danceswithcats

Excellent! I've caught myself winning imaginary arguments with Jeremy Clarkson, on occasion, as well. I'm so ashamed. 😳

CaptJon
    Free Member

I sometimes get competitive, but my favourite thing is to make a neeeeoooiiiwwnnn noise as a super commuter overtakes me on my warm up/down. I love super commuters: tatty lycra (often full length leggings), big rucksack (usually non-bike specific), some form of hi-vis clothing (top, jacket, vest over rucksack), and lots of LEDs (presumably bought by their kids every birthday and Christmas), toe clips, massive calves.

note: nobody here counts as a super commuter as they only ride their bikes too and from work.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – just me, or does anyone else…’ is closed to new replies.