Commuters have we done this video yet?

Home Forum Bike Forum Commuters have we done this video yet?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Commuters have we done this video yet?
  • Premier Icon teadrinker
    Subscriber

Come across this one and regardless if his in the right or wrong I can’t work out if he has a horn or his brakes need some work on them? 😕

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiWvVSGwPnI[/video]

Oh and by the end of the videos his “OI!” was starting to grate a bit.

project

There are somany muppets allowed to drive potentially lethal vehicles on the roads, the above is a good selection.

Pity the dvla data base is not open to find the vehicle owners addresses and send them details of their faults,driving lessons, eye tests etc.

stumpy01

It’s one of those Airzound horns, isn’t it?

I think he started using after getting a sore throat from all those shouts of Ooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyyyy…..

Some pretty bad driving in that compilation, although he’s not exactly blameless in a couple of them.

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Some pretty bad driving in that compilation, although he’s not exactly blameless in a couple of them.

Completely typical normal driving if you ask me. Most of the stuff in that I get on a daily basis. In fact it’s so often I don’t even bother getting annoyed by it any more, I just slow down and let them through to avoid it. Nothing jumped out where he was to blame though, although I only watched it once.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

ah, the “wait and pull out”. I get that all the time. They stop at the junction, look, see you, think about it long enough for you to get to the junction then pull out.

samuri

Search for cyclingmikey and cyclegaz if you want to see more of that. 😉

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Oh is he one of those cyclists who rides round looking for trouble so he can get something uploaded to Youtube? That’s what I read on here.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

although he’s not exactly blameless in a couple of them.

go on i’ll bite, when? From one viewing I can see a few times where he doesn’t appear to be in primary but a bit of a stretch to apportion blame for that IMO

david jey

Completely typical normal driving if you ask me. Most of the stuff in that I get on a daily basis. In fact it’s so often I don’t even bother getting annoyed by it any more, I just slow down and let them through to avoid it.

+1

I got bored after just over 2 minutes. In that time the only incidents that deserved posting on the internet (or more than a rueful shake of the head) were the white van ones. And maybe then only the second one of those.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

You should watch it all. It’s hilarious. “You are on Youtube and I’m weporting you to the polithe!”
    Typical driver morons though and, no he wasn’t at fault in any of the cases.
    I think I would’ve done a muddydwarf on that van that hit him with the door!

mrmo

just slow down and let them through to avoid it.

haven’t seen the video, work firewall, but are you happy to be bullied by drivers? that is what your saying sounds like.

The Jeremy Clarkson T shirt, “thanks for letting me use your road”

Cyclists have every right to use the road, and there are knobs in cars and on bikes. but if I choose to block a car trying to overtake I tend to have a very good reason for doing so, and I am not letting them through because I am the one who is going to get injured not because I am trying to annoy them.

trail_rat

Id just change route tbh.

mrmo

Id just change route tbh.

sometimes there is no realistic alternative.

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Completely typical normal driving if you ask me. Most of the stuff in that I get on a daily basis. In fact it’s so often I don’t even bother getting annoyed

Just because it’s become commonplace and the norm doesn’t mean is right, if it no longer annoys you and you accept it that just means you’ve been successfully bullied into submission 🙁

I just slow down and let them through to avoid it

Or you know, they could slow down/move for the cyclist, or are you suggesting that the car has some kind of priority? Because that’s where that attitude will eventually lead…

devash

Cr@p drivers – a fact of life.

No amount of screaming and hurling abuse in a self-righteous manner will fix this.

Just forward any footage of genuinely dangerous driving to the police and accept that even when driving a car you will have idiots pulling out on your and cutting you up.

Btw, I’m glad I don’t live in London.

grim168

If the drivers don’t get him the stress will.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Don’t know if you noticed, but it’s a lot more stressful being in a car.

Keva

usual $hit really, some old fatso in a van thinks he’s rocky balboa.

Or you know, they could slow down/move for the cyclist, or are you suggesting that the car has some kind of priority? Because that’s where that attitude will eventually lead…

I think he’s suggesting it’s preferable to being killed or maimed which, with some drivers, is where you may end.

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

Didn’t watch it all, as couldn’t be bothered to watch a twit on a bike blowing his horn of self importance when anything came withing 30 feet of him. He appears to be a bit of a tool. Some were poor drivers, but most (well from what I watched) were him being a tit

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Cr@p drivers – a fact of life.

No amount of screaming and hurling abuse in a self-righteous manner will fix this.

So the guy’s angry, but understandably so when it appears so many people seem to want to try and smear him on the road.

Just forward any footage of genuinely dangerous driving to the police and accept that even when driving a car you will have idiots pulling out on your and cutting you up.

But exposing driving like this with video (as well as reporting) might just help to show why we feel so threatened, abused, and endangered and help get some support to actually make a change.

He does say at the beginning of the video he made the compilation to show people who had questioned why he rides with a camera, and I think the video is justification enough, if one of those drivers does one day knock him off he’ll be glad of the video evidence.

I do think he needs to calm down a bit, he won’t do himself any favours if he carries on getting that wound up, but I support what he’s doing.

Didn’t watch it all, as couldn’t be bothered to watch a twit on a bike blowing his horn of self importance when anything came withing 30 feet of him. He appears to be a bit of a tool. Some were poor drivers, but most (well from what I watched) were him being a tit

Think you should probably watch it again then, *most* of the examples in that video were drivers taking un-necessary risks with another persons life, he might have been able to mitigate some of them with a more assertive road position, but blaming him is just unfair.

He appears to be a bit of a tool

He appears to be a bit wound up yes, and maybe even a bit self important with his horn, but that’s hardly justification for nearly running him off the road or into him is it?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Some were poor drivers, but most (well from what I watched) were him being a tit

Couldn’t be more wrong.
    Yeah, maybe (probably) he’s a bit of a tit, but he’s riding his bike on the road in a normal fashion.
    Only the Porsche one had me puzzled.

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

haven’t seen the video, work firewall, but are you happy to be bullied by drivers? that is what your saying sounds like.

The Jeremy Clarkson T shirt, “thanks for letting me use your road”

On the contrary. I’ve had my fair share of arguments and confrontations, and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I’ve never been shy of flinging a few expletives about. I used to get annoyed/enraged just like that bloke at the sort of things you see in that video (people pulling out even though they’re looking at you, overtaking then cutting in before a junction/traffic island/traffic lights etc). The trouble was it got to the point where I finished my rides completely stressed out and it was getting to the point where I really wasn’t enjoying it. Now whenever I see this my main reaction is to laugh at them, and because I expect it I can easily avoid it. No confrontation = no adrenalin = less stress = a happier, more enjoyable ride. These days I save the shouting and swearing for truly life-threatening incidents, which are thankfully quite rare.

lilchris

“You are on Youtube and I’m weporting you to the polithe!”

No sound here, but I recognise the humpback bridge pass.
    Isn’t this the kiddy who was “representing” on that BBC War on our roads program late 2012/early 2013, the one who had the infamous bust up with the taxi driver??

If it is, he seemed out for a fight), but can’t see anything wrong with his riding in this video

devash

He does say at the beginning of the video he made the compilation to show people who had questioned why he rides with a camera, and I think the video is justification enough, if one of those drivers does one day knock him off he’ll be glad of the video evidence.

Riding in London rush hour traffic with a helmet cam is an absolute must, and to be fair me and the Mrs have been looking into getting a ‘dash cam’ for the car.

I think the criticism here is that a lot of those incidents shown in the video (close passes, cars pulling out etc) are daily occurrences on our roads, no matter what your mode of transport.

If someone cuts me up in the car I don’t get out the car screaming and banging on doors. That would be considered road rage by anyone’s standards.

You aren’t going to change people’s driving habits by screaming at them, especially not the average angry, working class, white van type.

Premier Icon gray
    Subscriber

I encounter people driving like that quite a lot on my commutes. There’s no way I could be arsed to wear a camera or upload stuff to YouTube though. If I thought it remotely likely that footage would end up being useful evidence then maybe, but realistically, what are the chances of the Police doing anything whatsoever on the basis of the sorts of footage in that video? Most of that driving would be unlikely to result in even a ticking off, let alone any kind of prosecution. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen any driving that would end up with a court case if I’d filmed it. So I still think it’s largely pointless wearing one. And I doubt that people would drive differently if all cyclists wore them – the main problem seems to me to be that people either think that what they’re doing is perfectly OK, or they’re literally not thinking about it at all.

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Absolutely not. I ride 90% of the time in the primary position, I hardly ever use cycle lanes and I overtake on the right. There’s a huge difference between being calmly but resolutely assertive and charging round getting all angry at every perceived bit of crap driving. How many times do we complain about drivers doing something stupid only to get to the next lights a few seconds earlier? Well the same goes for riding a bike.

Mr Woppit

Not sure about this one to be honest. We all know that cycling today can be risky because motorised vehicle drivers don’t pay enough attention and it behoves us to adopt the right skills to cope with that situation.

This just looks like my regular commute incidentals. The cyclist rode with all the attention and skill needed for the situation, slowing down and/or swerving slightly where appropriate as he sensed what the subject vehicles were doing.

No actual accidents.

bellerophon

Just because it’s become commonplace and the norm doesn’t mean is right, if it no longer annoys you and you accept it that just means you’ve been successfully bullied into submission

You’re correct, being the norm doesn’t mean it is right. But I also think not getting annoyed and accepting it doesn’t mean he’s been bullied into submission – more like he has decided not to let other people get him stressed and angry.

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

It seems to me that he’s not really taking into account the traffic around him. A bit more awareness and courtesy will go a long way. Sometimes it’s easier and more sensible to move to the side a bit or change positioning than invite conflict. There is riding asertively and there is riding inconsiderately – he is mostly the later, whether he is ‘in the right’ or not.

I ride in central London every week day and generally don’t have a problem – if I rode the way he does, which, frankly, is a bit ‘I own the road’, then I’d have conflict every journey

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

When he has a ‘near miss’ do you think he is angry or actually pleased so that he can add it to his youtube page? I can’t help but think he is quite content with this, certainly a lot of that stuff wasn’t really that big a deal.

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

That parking Ford Ka near the end was quite special though

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Jeez, I’m glad i don’t live in London if that is the regular standard of driving – I’d be in a cell before the week is out.

Contrary to popular opinion my commute is 99% pleasant and stress free, yes i get some bad driving etc but nothing often like in that clip.

I’m stressed and angry just watching that!

Mr Woppit

It’s a total zoo, mate.

I’m a regular commuter on the outskirts of Central London. I used to think helmet cams were a good idea until I saw more and more of them on cyclists looking for trouble or throwing the toys out of the pram for nothing.

Recently this was backed up by riding behind a cyclists when a bus overtook us, the bus gave us in my opinion plenty of room but clearly not in theirs. Shortly after we caught up with the bus, the cyclist went mental at the driver, I then noticed the camera on the helmet.

This is pretty much what happens in 90% of that video. I can see the cameras good use, but I think they cause more problems than solve them,

jamesfuller

The driving standards in the video are not good. But you can pretty much second guess whats going to happen. Its best to ease of the pedals and slow down a bit. Plan ahead and ride like you want to be alive, Its better than being in the right but dead.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

saw more and more of them on cyclists looking for trouble or throwing the toys out of the pram for nothing.

I’d love to know how cyclists could go looking for trouble. I call utter bullshit on that.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

just watched that.
    I wish someone would wipe him out good and proper.

deviant

ton – Member
    just watched that.
    I wish someone would wipe him out good and proper.

Indeed, if i was out on my bike and came across this prat shouting ‘ooiieeyy’ at every vehicle within 6ft of him i’d do my best to kick him into the gutter too.

glasgowdan

Anyone stow a bit of sharp 20mm metal in their handlebar to inflict some healthy scratching in the event of cars about to shunt you off the road? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Commuters have we done this video yet?’ is closed to new replies.