Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuters be careful out there – Female cyclist killed by truck
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

It may have been put up already, but it’s just horrific. I drove by the scene of the accident yesterday morning before I knew about it, it wasn’t a pretty site. To think she probably woke up thinking it would be a normal day and was just making her way to work like any other. Thoughts with the family.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/family-pay-tribute-to-young-cyclist-killed-in-collision-with-lorry-29503287.html

spacemonkey

FFS not another one 🙁

Like you say, she probably woke up thinking it was just another day, not her last.

How is cycle safety viewed in Ireland? Any different to the BS we encounter in England?

BTW, your linky wasn’t working. This one does.

RIP

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Do. Not. Overtake. Lorries. On. The. Inside…

anagallis_arvensis

Another sad story. RIP.

DezB
    Free Member

Do. Not. Make. Presumptions. About. Incidents. About. Which. You. Know. Nothing…

Very sad. RIP.

bails

Or

Do. Not. Use. Cycle. Lanes…

as it’s also known.

This is a huge problem with the sh&t infrastructure we’re lumbered with at the moment. You either use it, and risk being crushed to death, doored, pulled out on, etc etc. Or, in the interests of staying alive, you ignore it and get abuse and punishment passes for not being in the ‘perfectly good’ cycle lane.

Then there’s the situation where the driver pulls up to the right of a waiting cyclist and turns left across them. Which normally results in

type posts that assume the victim was at fault.

Looking at the photos:

It looks like the cyclist may have been trying to move out around the parked BMW, rather than sneaking up the inside of a left turning lorry.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Or… do not turn left if you aren’t sure whats beside you 😉 .

I get your point, but I can’t help thinking it could have been avoided if the driver had a better look around. Its an area where traffic moves slowly so they were both likely travelling at similar speeds, the bike could have been along side the lorry for a considerable amount of time for all we know.

How is cycle safety viewed in Ireland?

It’s getting better, a few ad campaigns for vehicles to watch out for bikes more.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB – Member

Do. Not. Make. Presumptions. About. Incidents. About. Which. You. Know. Nothing…

Sorry about the bad advice, there…

chrisb57
    Free Member

Ive been a HGV driver for 7yrs im also a mtb and road bike user.its saddens me to hear about another death like this .When I was tought how to drive it was defensively, in a car and hgv treat everyone like there about to do something stupid everyones an idiot till they prove you wrong .Dont assume they have seen you or are aware of each others presence. Again my condolences

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuters be careful out there – Female cyclist killed by truck’ is closed to new replies.