Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Commuters – any experience of security skewers?
  • MrAgreeable

Having annoyingly just been relieved of a front wheel from my manky old hack bike, I was thinking about getting a set of locking QR skewers. A set of Pitlocks would be nice but would cost as much again as my bike. Anyone used Pinheads, or even those Tranz-X ones that SJS sell?

s
    Free Member

Been using the Tranz-X for a month or so, mostly because my rear wheel was pulling out of the frame with qr’s.

Think there might be 2 versions, the one I use has a screw in lock for the key, which stops it popping out when you nip them up, neat idea.

You need to keep some tension on the the other nut, when nipping them up otherwise they can spin & slip, but apart from that they work fine.

TheBrick
    Free Member

pin heads are shit, not very tight, tranz x are also super easy to buy pass by using mole grips or just picking up one of their 5 sided allen keys. Both are about as good as having allen key skewers, better than q/r obviously. Pit locks are by far the best by far. When I worked in a bike shop I could get one off in about 2 min with hand tools, the others less time and more importantly less noise.

I’ve only ever bothered with allen key skewers to stop opportunist but I ride a shit bike in town.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve got pinhead skewers and they ‘look’ like they might do the job, but I’ve never tried to undo them without the correct tool – and as far as I know no-one else has either!

The pinhead seat clamp is roobish and the headset lock I’ve got just happens to not fit the wider gauge newer ‘standard’ thread on my racer.
    Customer service re the above 2 issues was non-existant.

tomhughes46

Cable lock?

I have the Brand X ones with the pin in but as said above, only deters opportunists and it’s a pain when you loose the allen key with the hole in.

MrAgreeable

Sounds like you get what you pay for. Am I correct in thinking you need a spanner to get the Pitlocks off though?

MrAgreeable

Cable lock?

I’d imagine that a bolt cutter capable of taking care of a cable lock is your basic starter tool for most bike thieves. Certainly more so than mole grips or a 5-sided allen key.

qwerty
    Free Member

HALO Hex allen skewers will slow them down and are cheap – at the end of the day if they want it they’ll probably get it!

MrAgreeable

I’ve been tipped off that the Brand-X allen key skewers that CRC sell use a hollow security key, so your average charver isn’t likely to be tooled up appropriately. Will give them a try and report back.

jamiep
    Free Member

Anyone know if lockable skewers are available for 15mm axle?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Commuters – any experience of security skewers?’ is closed to new replies.