Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Commuter evolution – rigid forks
  • willard

My main commuter transport is my bike (Malt2, 26” wheels, Deore all round) and I am currently getting it prepped for winter with some minor fixing from a crash thrown in. As I have been looking at the jobs that need doing, I noticed that I am still not using the fork on anything other than locked out and that my GF’s bike needs a new fork.

That got me thinking… I know I can swap out my Recon SLs for her crappy old one, but what choices do I have for a rigid front on my bike?

All the rigid forks I have seen that fit the bill (1 1/8th steerer, disc brake mounts only, the ones that bolt in forwards and not sideways, 9mm QR and corrected for 100mm travel) seem to be either cheap chinese carbon, or cheap chinese Alu. I can’t see anything else in a shop that is close. Even CRC and Evans don’t carry something that would work.

Has anyone got any ideas for something that would fit the bill?

schmiken

Exotic cycles carbons are the standard for this.

scotroutes
    joshvegas
    Free Member

A second hand on one carbon fork…

A bit like the one i’m looking at right now…

sirromj

Yes Exotic as mentioned. The weight decrease is really appreciated over time. As you mentioned Winter preparation, one thing about the exotics to bear in mind is the lack of mudguard fixings. P-clips can be used for the V-stays (sorry can’t remember size). Then for the top-stay I used a piece of aluminium bent at 90 degrees attached to this SKS fastening kit inserted into the bottom of the steerer tube.

willard

Joshvegas, tell me more!

Everyone else, good call on the exotics. They look pretty amazing and the 44.5cm ones should work a treat replacing the Recon SL in there at the moment. I’d just need a new headset and would be away. Price is comparable with some of the other ones I had seen too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I sent you a message.

Managed to spell my name wrong in it aswell 😂

willard

Jish, that’s fine. I sent a reply!

Stevet1
    Free Member

I prefer steel over carbon for my commuter bike. Surly 1×1 straight blade if you can get hold of them, or salsa cro moto.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Commuter evolution – rigid forks’ is closed to new replies.