Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Commuter Drivetrain replacement/musings
  • Kahurangi

I have a drop-bar alfine 8 drivetrain and it’s been pretty fantastic for the 12 years I’ve been running it.

Versa 8 drop bar shifters
    Alfine 8 internal gear hub
    chain dunked in putoline every 3 months
    faff free commuting

but now the shifters are dying…. and so is the hub. replacement time…. but

can’t get alfine 8 shifters for love nor money.. I’ve contacted Hotlines about getting some Microshift SB-N080 https://www.microshift.com/models/sb-n080/ but not hopeful.

I don’t think I can do bar-top shifters as I often run the youngest to nursery on a Macride and I wouldn’t be able to access the gears when she’s on! TBF that’s only a mile each way and only really til September when she changes nursery.

Bar end shifters like Microshift BS-N08 https://www.microshift.com/models/bs-n08/ are insane and I can;t see how they’re possibly useful. Id’ rather go singlespeed or bar top shifters.

Alfine 11 shifters are £200 and a new 11 sp IGH is £440. Holy Moley.

Is that enough to make me sack it all off and go derailleur again? The claimed longevity of new Shimano CUES could be enticing but it’s not available yet!

At Tiagra level I’m looking at £25 for a 11-34 cassette, less than £20 for a derailleur and £35 for the hub (more for spokes) but then still £200 for shifters. A wedge less than alfine 11 overall but a bit of a step backwards.

So yeah.

/rant

help

p.s. I think I’ll end up getting the Microshift 8sp imported from the USA if Hotlines can’t/won’t do them…

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

As a side thought have you looked at Shimano Metrea? It’s expensive but had some interesting options and it’s supposed to be more tollerent to rust. Always handy on a commuter

defblade
    Free Member

Bar end shifters like Microshift BS-N08 https://www.microshift.com/models/bs-n08/ are insane and I can;t see how they’re possibly useful.

Why insane? I’ve been using them for at least 25 years on my audax bike.
    The only problem I get now I’ve finally got a new bike with a brake-mounted shifter is occasionally going for the wrong type of shifter on the wrong bike when I’ve been riding the other one for a bit.

slowol

Sjs Cycles sell both Jtek and Microshift bar end shifters for Alfine.
    If you’re wedded to drop bar brifters and going back to derailleurs then 10 speed Microsoft advent brifters are £65 a pair from Chain reaction. I think shifters, cassette and derailleur are about £125 so fairly inexpensive for a commuter.

lesshaste

Plus one for bar end shifters, simple and reliable and allow for cheap brake lever replacement, eg TRP something or other…..£30ish

coatesy
    Free Member

May be worth giving Nexus a look for Hub replacement, £165 rrp for 8sp. Unfortunately, only seem to be Revoshift flat bar shifters available from stock,triggers are out of stock, and drop bar shifters not listed (not sure Nexus /Alfine runs standard pull ratios?)

fasthaggis

How about a belt drive conversion with one of the new automatic fluid hubs

nicholas_yiu

How about going di2? I looked into this before I went for a electric bike for commuting.

The alfine di2 brifter is about £100 and the alfine 8 di2 conversion kit is about £130? Probably end up spending the same but you get to have electric shifting which might help justifying the spend?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.