Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Commute Racing
  • chowmein
    Free Member

Anyone else do it ? On the way to and from work I often get over taken by fellow commuter. Feeling quite energetic yesterday thought I would give him a run for his money, Went past him at the junction and put everything into the next mile but he still just cruised past me like he was out for a sunday morning stroll.

Disclaimer / excuses : he was heavily clad in lycra with incredible hulk but/leg muscles. He was riding a decent looking specialized. I was in my MTB gear on a halfords carrera.

other info : i commuted 17 miles in 1hr 9 mins. (does that make me slow in roadie land ?).

molgrips
    Free Member

other info : i commuted 17 miles in 1hr 9 mins. (does that make me slow in roadie land ?).

‘Fraid so.

Although it depends on how hilly it is, and if you are on knobblies that makes it better too.

Duffer
    Free Member
    chowmein
    Free Member

no on road tyres, and its not that hilly with the destination being 100m or so lower than the start. 🙂 Think I need to train harder, think I might also get test ride on a decent bike from wolves leisure lakes and ride it back home (stafford) see how much time it knocks off. (I know its mainly fitness but would be interested to know how much difference a good bike makes )

chowmein
    Free Member

@Duffer. Class 🙂

@molgrips. Ok what time is a good time for a roadie ? I need a target.

njee20
    Free Member

Ok what time is a good time for a roadie ? I need a target.

An hour has to be your first target.

55 minutes would be very respectible.

50 minutes would be fast.

chowmein
    Free Member

so be it. 50 mins is my target along side total annihilation of my arch commuting nemesis. (think i will video that and post it here when I do it lol)

ahwiles
    Free Member

chowmein – Member
    …would be interested to know how much difference a good bike makes

someone’s tested this…

actual science

summary: weather makes a bigger difference than bike.

conclusion: faster commuters have just got better weather than you.

(where can i buy faster weather?)

aP
    Free Member

I do 20 miles each way and the fastest I’ve managed it is 1hr5mins. However, I do have to pass nearly 160 sets of traffic lights so I don’t think its too bad. Average time is 1hr25 on the way in and 1hr15 for the return, and without riding through every red light I don’t think it possible to do much better.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Anyone else do it

🙄

My pet hate is this! Commuters who wheel suck without saying a word or letting you know they are there (aside from the fact i can hear them breathing out their a+++), then sprint past dying for some invisible sign, then sit up and look back triumphantly whilst i’m not even in zone one cruising along. Pin a number on if you wanna race, then see how hard you are.

chowmein
    Free Member

My pet hate is this! Commuters who wheel suck without saying a word or letting you know they are there

I am the victim of this. this guy does me almost every day, but I don’t mind it. Keeps things interesting.

Northwind

I used to but now I StravaCommute. Having said that, during term time there’s a kid on a moped that I get to overtake a couple of days a week, that never gets old.

will
    Free Member
    julianwilson
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of lights giving way to main/larger roads within 200m of my rode to work: just these 2 can add anything between 0 and 4 minutes to my commute time. Decent tailwind up 1k 13% hill take a bit off again though. Basically for a given level of fitness, the weather and traffic/lights can vary my average time plus or minus 20% Not to mention that work is so uphill that the ride home is typically 60% of the time it takes to ride in. 😆

samuri
    Free Member

Pin a number on if you wanna race, then see how hard you are.

This would be the most ace thing ever. Put a number on your back, catch up with someone, slap a number on their back and then race off. Keep taking looks over your shoulder and then each time you do it sprint off a little bit and then look over your shoulder again. Weave around a lot like you’re trying to break their tow.

But commuting. It is SO a race.

pcb
    Free Member

Of course its a race…

But i’m stupidly competative 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My best time for my 20 mile Wapping-to-Leatherhead down the A24 during peak period was 1 hour 33 minutes. Mind you, I was racing the clock and I don’t do it every day, what with me being an old crumbly and all…

crazy-legs

I have two Strava KOMs I need to get back on tomorrow’s commute. I don’t normally strava my commute but recently picked up a KOM I didn’t even know existed – a fairly pointless flat sprint which the guy had obviously set up solely to get on a leaderboard since it’s not a well used trail and it’s not significant in any way.

Next thing I know, he’d gone out that same night to get it back. I took it off him again a few days later and again, that same night, the tragic fool went out to reclaim it. It’s got to the point though where it’s not getting any faster – last time he beat me by 2 seconds so it’ll be very funny seeing if he manages to reclaim it a 3rd time.

🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Commute Racing’ is closed to new replies.