• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Commute hell. London.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Coming in via Lower Thames Street to East Smithfield is a fyerkin NIGHTMARE. Me and two other cyclists were a yard short of being totalled by a numpty car driver coming off a red light at Tower Gateway this morning.

The rest of it was chock-a-block, stop-start, oh good that lorry missed me, all the way to work.

Looking forward to the Olympics. At least there’ll be more room on the “Olympic traffic only” lane… 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

I love commuting by bike in london. Have done it for over 10 years. Never had a proper near miss, never felt threatened.

PS Great Tower st is a nice way to Tower hill.

organic355
    Free Member

I love commuting by bike in london. Have done it for over 10 years. Never had a proper near miss, never felt threatened.

Talk about tempting fate? nice knowing you………

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PS Great Tower st is a nice way to Tower hill.

^^All of this^^

This morning was pretty manic, wasn’t it? Cannon St being shut isn’t helping.

allthepies
    Free Member

I miss* my Boris Bike journey from Waterloo to Fleet St now I’m no longer in That London.

* sometimes 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Edit* Nah. I’ll leave that out.

mogrim

Lovely sunny morning, not too cold, and the highlight of the commute was gently freewheeling down here:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrYNH_z2-U[/video]

Not particularly looking forward to the ride home back up it, though 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

I rode down the Lea to Limehouse the other day, then along a blue route (Cable Street) to Tower Hill. All very nice and safe (loads of cyclists, cars give you a wide bearth) but it got really grim at the Tower. I’m a big strapping lad, still felt pretty intimadating getting across to the start of the Embankment and then no bike route. Would not want to be a beginner commuter or lady rider there, no fun.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Commute heaven …

Up at dawn, spin through deserted country lanes and sleepy hamlets, wave at the seagulls and early morning strollers on Llandudno’s Victorian prom, climb the traffic-free headland of the Great Orme looking out over the sea, fast swooping descent to the beach, and into the office*

I was in that there big city of London yesterday, but worked an 18 hour day so I could get back up to Wales late last night. This morning’s ‘commute’ made the long day seem worthwhile.

I don’t know how you guys can cycle in London, it scares the bejesus out of me! Although spinning through the parks and along the river is lovely.

* Today’s office being at home.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sue, working in your jimjams, I assume? 😉

Riding in London is easy. Just don’t treat it like a race, don’t ride like a male chicken and be aware of what’s going on around you. Choosing your route can make a lot of difference as well.

For example, I could ride along the Etape du Embankment every day, with all the MAMIL commuter racers. I’d rather repeatedly slam my private parts in the kitchen drawer thanks. So, I meander along the South Bank, on the quiet road in between Waterloo and the river. Then, a leisurely bimble up the Col du Blackfriars in to the City.

brakes
    Free Member

I ride into Tower Hill every day and I’m always glad I don’t have to carry on past Tower Gateway.
    Embankment > Upper Thames St > Lower Thames St > East Smithfield. – I avoid like the plague – it’s a race track for tipper trucks, and motorbikes using the cycle lane.

Cannon St closed and Prince’s St nr Bank closed means there’s a lot of snarled-up roads round the city.

We’ve been told to work from home over the Olympic period, but I might come in anyway just because I love my commute!

br
    Free Member

Tuesday morning is always the busiest commute, anywhere – fact.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STW-London-Commuters-Bacon-Sarnie-Coffee-Morning?

😉

Sue_W
    Free Member

… looks down at current attire … phew, decently clad in post-ride yoga clothing …saved possible embarressment of being caught working in PJ’s! The perks of ‘working from home’ 🙂

The lovely people at Transport for London sent me a collection of Cycle Maps for all the different areas of the city. They seem to show not just the traffic free cycle paths, but also the quiet roads and recommended routes. Are these maps worth following? Or would I find that the supposedly quiet route is actually traffic hell or the local lorry delivery shortcut?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are these maps worth following?

In short, yes. They can form the basis of really good routes around town. Obviously, they’re not really a substitute for your own version of “the knowledge”, which you can only really get from experience, but as a starting point, especially if you’re only an occasional visitor/rider, they’re very good indeed.

brakes
    Free Member

shame the Walrus & Carpenter isn’t open at that time…

allthepies
    Free Member

The Embankment MAMIL t*ssfest is always worth a laugh as a spectator 🙂 I approve of the route on t’other side of the river CFH, a nice pootle along the South Bank and Blackfriars has a nice wide cycle lane S->N.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Interesting…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    The Embankment MAMIL t*ssfest is always worth a laugh as a spectator I approve of the route on t’other side of the river CFH, a nice pootle along the South Bank and Blackfriars has a nice wide cycle lane S->N.

I’ll admit it, I do on occasion join the Etape du Embankment and draft the MAMIL-Muppets. ‘Tis great fun….!

Woppit, how far down East Smithfield are you, then? Used to work down that way in one of the old warehouse buildings years back.

mashiehood
    Free Member

My commute from Surbiton to Oxford circus take me through Richmond Park and Hyde Park. The worst bits are High Street Kensington and Marble Arch. But other than that, I love my 14 mile commute into London.

Totally agree with the others about not treating it as a race, but sometimes its so hard not too – keep it safe and fun and everyone will be fine. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Woppit, how far down East Smithfield are you, then? Used to work down that way in one of the old warehouse buildings years back.

TMS, home of The Murdochs.

brakes
    Free Member

Totally agree with the others about not treating it as a race, but sometimes its so hard not too

if there are a few cyclists at the lights and you start off like a man possessed I’ll let you be ahead for a bit until you think you’ve won, then I’ll reel you in and accelerate as I cruise past – if you catch up with me at the next set of lights you’ll do the same again and I’ll let you go, but you’ll know that I can beat you.
    Yes, I am waiting for my OBE from Her Maj for HEROic services to commuting.

mcboo
    Free Member

brakes – Member

shame the Walrus & Carpenter isn’t open at that time…

Wolseley. They’d love us in there.

molgrips
    Free Member

Commute heaven …

Ok Sue, maybe we should all move to North Wales. Oh, what’s that? There aren’t enough jobs for us all? Oh dear…!

Anyway, I never had a problem with Lower Thames St when working at Canary Wharf recently. Having said that I only went that way because I wanted to go fast, and it’s the most unobstructed way I could find. The side roads might be quieter but are definitely slower.

And you are not allowed to have a STW meet in London without me you buggers. I was there for three months and only Elf bothered to turn out!

then I’ll reel you in and accelerate as I cruise past

No, you won’t 😈

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wolseley. They’d love us in there.

You must be one of those rich people grum’s complaining about…

aP
    Free Member

Richmond to North Greenwich was ok this morning apart from a couple of racing spec Transit vans that were being interesting on Clapham Common North Side, Brixton/ Loughborough Junction smell nice in the morning – all that jerk spice being fired up for lunchtime.

D0NK

alarm clock malfunction meant 30mins later than usual and it was mental, br may have a point about tuesdays. Few nobbers about but more annoying than genuinely life threatening

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Commute hell. London.’ is closed to new replies.