Commute – Coach too close. Contact Co?

Home Forum Bike Forum Commute – Coach too close. Contact Co?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commute – Coach too close. Contact Co?
  • Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

Your word against his. If he was able to pin you against the kerb were you riding too far to the left?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Call the police, report as unsafe and report to the company. Reporting gets it logged if nothing else.

ti_pin_man

do both, call and tell them and report it. nuff said. common occurance sadly. ride further out off the curb, assertive, not aggressive, force the cars to properly overtake especially where roads narrow or past parked vehicles.

I’m liking that the “ride in the gutter and you’ll die in the gutter” message is finally getting through. Good work.

project

If the bus or coah is carrying kids, itmay well be fitted with cctv, inside and out, so a dvd of the event will be available.

Contact ther local education authority, to se if its a vehicle hired by them, and make a complaint.

email the company and ring them and make a formal complaint.

School bus same route same driver for the foreseable future, be careful.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

Worth reporting.

Although someone I know experienced an almost identical thing and swore while he was being nearly crushed. The company replied to say “well, according to our driver you were swearing, so you’re not without blame here”…. 😕

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Mark wrote:

Worth reporting.
    Although someone I know experienced an almost identical thing and swore while he was being nearly crushed. The company replied to say “well, according to our driver you were swearing, so you’re not without blame here”….

Hence also reporting to the Police

FunkyDunc

Commuting in just now, going up a gentle hill a coach comes past, way closer than I expected ie I pinned myself against the kerb but could keep riding. I banged against the side of the coach with out having to extend my arm!

The driver kept the same gap all the way past me but was already slowing, then 50 yds ahead he stopped to turn right! As I went passed him obviously still on his inside I slowed to an almost stop and tried to explain about the gap, he seemed oblivious or bot to care, obviously getting the kids to school on time was more important.

Would you inform the company, or just let it go? I am sure his argument to his boss would be that he was going slowly and left plenty of gap…

Gary_M

Yeh worth reporting but you should be riding further out to prevent this sort of thing happening.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

Yeh worth reporting but you should be riding further out to prevent this sort of thing happening.

It doesn’t prevent this type of thing happening. In my experience.

If someone really wants to get past then they will just go for it. You’ve got loads of room to your left to move over, after all.

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

The advantage of riding further out is that you have an escape route if they cut too close.

Anyway – report it to the company. I’ve also reported these things to the police in the past – and they’ve taken it seriously.

See my thread re AA Driving School.

My new policy is to report. Report in an accurate, polite, quiet manner giving lots of information. I’m hoping that if a driver’s record has lots of bad marks that s/he will get sacked or if they are involved in an incident, their form will go against them in proceedings (note the use of the word HOPE).

I’m seriously thinking of a head camera, I know it’s sad, but it’s a little bit of extra proof.

iolo

Report it to the police.
    They will only care and do something about it if you have the number plate.
    Call the bus company and tell them you’ve called the police (even if you don’t have the reg). The driver will get call into the office and shafted that day. The following day call the bus company to say you’re not taking it further (so he doesn’t lose his job).
    I had the same and did the above. Got a call from the MD of the bus company. They really don’t like losing contracts like school runs and the like.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Read this:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-got-side-swiped-by-a-school-bus

Get a witness.

Call the police.

Don’t bother with the bus company, there’s every chance they’ll laugh it off. Having got this particulart driver bollocked first buy the police, then his boss, I now get masses of space from every single bus in town.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

to add another why?
    I just got a call from the police to update me on the driver that hit me with his car and then punched me (- not as dramatic just a tap from behind and a lamest punch in the world to my lid – thats why we wear them!)

The total was Driving without Due Care and Attention and Assault, he pleaded guilty before court and was fined $1750 (Oz) so about £1025. Not sure about bans or points out here. He was also “known” so if you report them it can tot up.

Tell the police he had a young boy with no pants on sat on his lap aswell.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commute – Coach too close. Contact Co?’ is closed to new replies.