• This topic has 55 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by si77.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Commonwealth Games mountain biking today from 11:30am
  • Houns

Some good tunes playing

richmtb

Those from lesser know mtb countries were struggling in places and a few fell off going over the stegosaurus rocks (taken the wrong way so downhill slightly).

Spose it’s all relative as the riders were mostly on the edge of exhaustion all the time. Of course they’re trained for it etc but it must make obstacles a bit harder than most riders out cruising on a 150mm+ gnar machine.

The fact they are racing obviously adds to the level of technical difficulty but I think the Commonwealth games courses are deliberately less technical than the Olympics or World Cup because the level of ability of the riders is a bit more varied.

twonks

Yep to the above. A few of the mens bikes were very old school looking geometry wise and seemed to be very twitchy over anything slightly rough.

Didn’t get close enough to see what they actually were but, the leaders were lightning quick and composed by comparison.

A good watch for the bits I saw.

wipperman95
    Free Member

Saw a post race interview with Evie, and she hoped it would inspire more to take up MTB-ing, as it’s a ‘cool sport’. Even with World & Olympic champions, there’s not a lot of riders coming through in the sport.

dirkpitt74

Been over the Chase most of the day.
    Some good racing.
    Watched the replay and surprised to hear the commentator saying the course designers have made it less technical so you (the public) can ride the course after the games – going to be some disappointed people turning up at Cannock.

johnhe

Was really looking forward to watching the race on the iPlayer. I’ve never been to Cannock Chase, but I’m afraid that watching this wouldn’t make me hurry to get there. It must be hard work for the commentators to make it sound more exciting.

At least there’s plenty of spectators.

johnjn2000

Bit of a naive question but did the men and women race the same course over the same number of laps? Asking because Evie beat the men if they did.

footflaps

I, for one, am amazed that no one has threatened to cancel their STW subscriptions as a result of STW having an article about riders whose bikes cost more than £199 and whose shoes hadn’t been found in the back of a skip. If this sort of things goes unchecked, where will it end?

richmtb

Bit of a naive question but did the men and women race the same course over the same number of laps? Asking because Evie beat the men if they did.

I think the Women’s race was 8 laps and the Men’s 9

nbt

same course but men did more laps. 10 vs 8 I think

K

Men’s were 8 laps. Women’s 7

Edited

BBC vid

johnjn2000

Ahh well, I thought there was a good story there but I was wrong

dirkpitt74

@johnhe don’t be put off by the fire road sections.
    Cannock has a fair bit to offer if you’re prepared to look for it.
    Just don’t expect to ride Deers leap…..

Houns

Blimey they don’t hang about!

footflaps

Blimey they don’t hang about!

They’re in competition with Thetford for the UK’s lamest “Black” route. Thetford has the “Beast” which is quite possibly the most terrifying thing since super soft toilet paper.

si77

Gutted! I was looking forward to riding it. Still saves me a trip to Cannock, so silver linings and all that.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.