Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Common misspellings and grammatical errors on social media.
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Please tell me both mistakes were deliberate.

Which one?

Northwind

I’ve seen ridged instead of rigid here… But a lot of these things are autocorrect/predictive text rather than misspellings.

shermer75
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Ah, is that on the Other Side?

ITV?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Lense instead of lens.

Bastards.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s ‘lose’ & ‘loose’ with me, does (dose) my head in! It’s worse than people who stop at roundabouts when there’s nothing coming!

Scapegoat

I asked him if he was trying hard enough, and he pacifically told me he was doing his upmost to do it off his own back.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I asked him if he was trying hard enough

You shud of arksed him.

onewheelgood

effect/affect
    pedal/peddle – you even see that a lot on here.

konabunny
    Free Member

Has anyone else noticed that everyone else is an idiot and I’m incredibly superior in every way?

Sorry – thought I’d skip straight to the subtext of this thread.

sirromj

In my wandering thoughts I sometimes wonder if people just pour letters over the page; but I don’t like to pore over this too much.

(Probably not very common on social media I’d guess)

breadcrumb

Ah, is that on the Other Side?

You’ve lost me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I wander weather Flasheart has found that you can begin a sentence with some conjunctions. 😉

onehundredthidiot

Local roadies often post their meet time and place on Facebook as:

“Anyone fancy a peddle? 10 at sainburys.”

I don’t know whether to bring a bike or a basket.

Robz
    Free Member

“Where” instead of “were”. Drives me nuts!

captainsasquatch:

Which one?

Root not route.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Couldn’t be bothered to read the whole thread, but in my opinion the blame lies with Google predictive keyboard innit

grum
    Free Member

Just seen this on FB:

Some dj I know who’s smashed it in life goes ibiza n that bro I used to go out with his cousin he wants to hear ya told him about ya life a roller coaster tune u said to us in blackpokl u sick guy I still remember it life is like a roller coaster it only brings you down something t like that lol

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Root not route.

I no that, there was a suggestion of there being two mistakes. ❓

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great thread to start the day with a chuckle

Predictive texting, auto correct and the idleness caused by spell check must be to blame especially when typing on phone or iPad

Using adjectives when an adverb is required winds me up – footballers, “you know who you are”

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Language evolution innit.

The quicker, easier and more inclusive language is, the better it is.

Prolly, cud of, wernt, innit, loose, dorta, sista, etc., are easier and quicker to use.

Economy of letters will win the day. Get used to it!

Oh, and this times a million, obvs:

Has anyone else noticed that everyone else is an idiot and I’m incredibly superior in every way?

Sorry – thought I’d skip straight to the subtext of this thread.

sockpuppet

I rarely do this but, here goes.

Dorta, innit, prolly. All fine, evolution of language, done on purpose, even stylish.

However: your/you’re, their/there/they’re and so on are lazy, obscure the writer’s meaning or intent or are the result of simply not knowing the correct word.

Not fine. IMO.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that “their, there, they’re and your, you’re” do change the sentence meaning when used wrongly, I’ve never been unable to understand what was being said.

e.g. “I think there lovely apples”, “Your great at cycling”.

I just wonder whether it really matters or will matter in the future.

grum
    Free Member
    FeeFoo
    Free Member

Cheers Grum 🙂

Haven’t been to that site for a while – what a popup ad nightmare!

Drac

How is loose quicker and easier to use than lose?

wicki
    Free Member

language is evolving,get over it 🙄

FeeFoo
    Free Member

How is loose quicker and easier to use than lose?

It falls into the easier category because as mentioned above it seems as though it shud have the double o sound.

Happy with the others though, yes?

njee20
    Free Member

language is evolving,get over it

As FeeFoo said though, most of it isn’t evolution, it’s just people getting it wrong. Either they’re lazy, stupid, or uneducated (cue all the dyslexic hand wringing).

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

As FeeFoo said though, most of it isn’t evolution, it’s just people getting it wrong. Either they’re lazy, stupid, or uneducated (cue all the dyslexic hand wringing).

Does this mean that anyone who replies is a dyslexic or hand wringer? Thus rendering the non-dyslexics nervous about replying as they don’t wish to be called hand wringers. Manipulation of the language to serve one’s own purpose is almost as bad as mistake making.
    The lazy and stupid are on their own though. 👿

kendonagasaki

“chester draws”
    I wish Chester could draw.
    They seem to be losing every week at the moment. Getting dragged closer to the relegation fight every game. 🙁

slowoldman

FeeFoo
    Free Member

As FeeFoo said though, most of it isn’t evolution, it’s just people getting it wrong. Either they’re lazy, stupid, or uneducated (cue all the dyslexic hand wringing

That really isn’t what I meant.

neilthewheel

Don’t worry about it. Shakespeare couldn’t even spell his own name…

shermer75
    Free Member

What a dilemna

njee20
    Free Member

Does this mean that anyone who replies is a dyslexic or hand wringer? Thus rendering the non-dyslexics nervous about replying as they don’t wish to be called hand wringers. Manipulation of the language to serve one’s own purpose is almost as bad as mistake making.

It was slightly tongue in cheek, but I do think dyslexia is used as a catch all for a lot of people who really should know the difference between there/their/they’re, they’re just too apathetic. It’s up there with ‘BMI is flawed because rugby players are all “obese”‘ as an excuse to bury one’s head in the sand about being fat.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I often wonder what the people who type 2 instead of to or ur instead of your or you’re do with all the time they have saved by reducing keystrokes.

downshep

Gr8 thread. I wonder how many thymes peeps making a serious point are proof reading prior to posting?

Drac

It was slightly tongue in cheek, but I do think dyslexia is used as a catch all for a lot of people who really should know the difference between there/their/they’re, they’re just too apathetic. It’s up there with ‘BMI is flawed because rugby players are all “obese”‘ as an excuse to bury one’s head in the sand about being fat.

You’re clearly quite clueless.

joshvegas
    Free Member
    curto80
    Free Member

I have an irrationally strong dislike of people who come on here asking for “advise”. Does nobody know the difference between a noun and a verb anymore?

Cougar

I often wonder what the people who type 2 instead of to or ur instead of your or you’re do with all the time they have saved by reducing keystrokes.

I reckon SMS is to blame for a lot of that. But is “be” such a long word that it needs shortening?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Common misspellings and grammatical errors on social media.’ is closed to new replies.