Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Comments on bikes nobody has ridden yet…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

So on the high tower thread
    “too short too steep”
    On the Orange 4
    “better with a 2 degree angleset “

Does nobody ride bikes before making sweeping assumptions about how they ride?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m open to persuasion on head angles – especially on long frames – but if a bike’s too short it’s just too short IME.

warpcow
    Free Member

My favourites are the ones who once read a Linkage Design blog post and can now definitively claim that a bike is the worst thing ever designed based on anti-squat figures.

edit: Most of the time it just seems that people mistake a bike that won’t fit them for a bike that won’t fit anybody. Ellsworth excepted.

chakaping
    Free Member

My favourites are the ones who once read a Linkage Design blog post and can now definitively claim that a bike is the worst thing ever designed based on anti-squat figures.

Who could you mean?

*taps nose*

scotroutes

A common thread on here will be “do you test a bike before buying it?” and it appears that most of us don’t. We instead apply knowledge and experience to frame geometry, weight etc. It’s therefore little surprise that folk are comparing what they know and like to these new bikes.

warpcow
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Who could you mean?

*taps nose*

Oops, was actually referring to another forum, but they must be everywhere.

xyeti
    Free Member

I must admit i read some of the posts thinking the same thing. How would you know it was too sort in the top tube?
    I love the ones about rear shocks, where a graph is produced to back up the fact that VPP doesnt work.

I also like the ones about Bob & Sag, Which reminds me of An elderly couple whiling away the years in Billericay.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We’re all armchair experts with 1m years riding in the bag, so are able to make educated guess’s at bikes ability without riding it.

Thought you knew that. 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

Ellsworth excepted.

😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it’s a very male thing I think. flame on

chestrockwell

I like the people who moan on about bike company conspiracies and biased magazines then rave about the latest must have 55 degree head angle and 2.3m top tube bike with 1x gears that the bike company’s bring to market and the mags review. I especially enjoy it when these people tell everyone with a different opinion they’re wrong. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When SC launched the Solo/5010 my mate/lbs got one it as a demo, many made the too steep comment, then rode it and the impression went away.

Northwind

You can get a pretty good idea of what you like, which is what people really mean when they say good/bad. Reach and wheelbase can tell you a lot especially. Head angle’s more a declaration of intent imo.

warpcow – Member

What, MBR?

ahwiles
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Does nobody ride bikes before … etc.

the ‘too steep, too short’ comment comes from an acquaintance of mine.

he’s:

A) recently fallen in love with a Geometron, all other bikes are probably now too steep and short.

B) the owner of a dry sense of humour.

honourablegeorge

The Hightower has decent reach for an SC – 450 isn’t bad for an L, obviously not Geometron long, but nothing is really.

Think it looks an ace trailbike myself. A Following for sane people

bigjim

Me too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

edit: Most of the time it just seems that people mistake a bike that won’t fit them for a bike that won’t fit anybody. Ellsworth excepted.

Dunno why ellsworth got a bad rep, SC are just as bad.

Wandering round a local SC dealer waiting for something from the workshop I sat on a large Bronson (or some trail bike) and the guy came over to ask what I thought. Without knowing the size I asked if they had any large’s or even a medium in sock to demo. It felt nervous just in the shop it was so short!

I’m happy to accept reviews and believe that the designers know what they’re doing in most cases, so an apparently steep HA might be balancing out something else, but I’m at a loss as to who exactly SC are supposed to fit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Comments on bikes nobody has ridden yet…’ is closed to new replies.