• This topic has 26 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by igm.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Commence eye-rolling, but I need advice please!
  • georgesdad

OK, it’s new bike time. Two years of cycle to work bikes and I’m splashing some cash on a better bike. My options are, in no particular order and all 29ers:

Bird AM9, SLX/XT, Lyric Select
    Canyon Neuron CF 8.0 GX Eagle, Fox 34
    Vitus Escarpe VRS, XT, Fox 36

I ride mostly natural trails and plan some longer days out in the Peaks and Wales, Jacob’s ladder, Long Mynd, Snowdon, that sort of thing. I like to get lairy when no-one is watching. I also like that old-skool XC vibe from riding 26ers my whole life. BUUUUT there’s an image problem with anything deemed not long low and slack enough these days. Which makes me think the Neuron isn’t enough bike. But the other two are probably too much bike. I’ve literally spent two weeks almost buying one or the other and it’s doing my head in now. I think my main issue is I feel the Neuron isn’t travelly enough, but the other two might not be pedally enough.

Any first hand opinions of how well suited the Vitus and the Bird are to normal days out on natural (flatter) trails would be much appreciated, before I give up and go roadie.

ta11pau1

Bird AM9, out of those.

I had an Escarpe and they great bikes, well specced, but the frames are quite basic – the AM9 frame is soooo much nicer (espcially in raw… wibble.).

The scarpe also doesn’t have a very steep SA so won’t be as good uphill/pedaling.

If you wanted to make it bit more ‘trail’ focussed you could change the lyrics for some pikes, they’re stiffer than the 34’s but not as burly as lyric/36’s.

georgesdad

The Escarpe is a killer spec, especially seeing as I can get it from Wiggle for £2400. The other two get nowhere near the same spec for the cash, although the Canyon is carbon. Can’t really find a bad word about the Neuron other than the usual “It doesn’t descend as fast as a longer, slacker bike”. Although it’s still longer and slacker than my current ‘trail’ 27.5er.

The Bird will be closer to £2700 with an SLX group, 4 piston brakes and Lyrics.

The Neuron sits in the middle, price wise.

I guess I want a unicorn bike. One that won’t embarrass itself (or me) going downhill but won’t kill me on 40 mile plus days out either 😬

joebristol

AM9 out of those options. I had the Aeris 145LT which is 650b but has similar intentions. It was ok for big day rides but it could slightly dumb down flatter trails. The AM9 is meant to pedal a bit better than the 145 though. Going Pike over Lyriks would save you a bit of weight and still be better than a 34.

There is a rumoured Bird Aether 9 (I’ve just swapped in the 145 for the Aether that’s more trail than enduro)….if that were forthcoming that might be perfect for what you’re after.

Wonder if the Cotic Flaremax would also be worth your consideration – or possibly the Sonder Cortex.

georgesdad

I do like the AM9, they seem to have got it bang on. I also feel like Bird would look after you if you have any issues down the line.

Cotics are waaaaaay too much moneys for me. I’m more concerned about buying a solid foundation for a few years riding. A good frame and fork is better than spangly components on a less than average frame. Drivetrains are consumable anyway. Maybe I should spec the Bird with the cheapest drivetrain and put XT on when it wears out.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Why not a Spectral since your looking at Canyons? They’re a bit more trail focussed than the other two you mention whilst still being capable with modern geometry.

georgesdad

I always wanted a Spectral, but I prefer the rollover of 29ers. Wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t turn one out soon enough. Even more travel on a Spectral though, surely more work to pedal round on?

marksnook
    Free Member

A mate just went from a Vitus escarpe to an am9. He loves it and absolutely flying on the thing. Did the tests at with him and it’s a great bike

ta11pau1

A good frame and fork is better than spangly components on a less than average frame.

That’s truthfully, is the Escarpe. OK, not less than average, more like just average. Where as the AM9 frame is much better than average. Saying that, there’s nothing really wrong with the escarpe frame, bar the slack seat angle, long seat tube and slightly dodgy dropper routing.

ta11pau1

I guess I want a unicorn bike. One that won’t embarrass itself (or me) going downhill but won’t kill me on 40 mile plus days out either

If you shop around, (and don’t mind something that’s a little shorter than the current trend of LONG bikes) you might well find a full carbon framed, 150/160mm travel, Fox 36 factory, fox X2 factory, fox transfer factory, 1700 gram wheelset, 12 speed sram GX, trail/enduro bike for about £2700-£2800…

Hint: Cube Stereo 150 C:68 TM

munrobiker
    Free Member

I didn’t realise there was no 29er Spectral. That’s a shame.

A bit left field but how about a Propain Hugene? Also seems to step more into trail whilst still being capable and good value.

Hugene

ta11pau1

Oh and the Orbea Occam. Nearly forgot that. The Alloy frame looks 98% like a carbon one, and you can up-spec certain bits like the forks/shock/brakes etc.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Avoid Canyon, warranty nightmare for one of my mates.

duncancallum

Nukeproof reactor?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Avoid Canyon, warranty nightmare for one of my mates.

Oh well, if one of your mates had an issue, they must be worth avoiding 🤣

rockandrollmark

I suspect you may not like what I’m about to say, and I suspect this might be because you know some of it might be true. Similarly I could be completely wrong, but here goes anyway…

First though, here’s a winky. Everything’s a bit more lighthearted with a winky, right? 😉

It sounds like you could be trying to decide between the bike you know you want (for the riding you actually enjoy), and the bike you think you want (for the riding you think you ought to enjoy) and are being blinded by spec sheets, angles and reviews which use words like ‘knar’. From what you describe either the Canyon sounds spot on for the riding you’re doing …and although a lovely machine, it sounds like you might find yourself a little ‘overbiked’ with the Bird.

As we come into spring I’ve seen quite a few trail centres running demo days. Might be worth finding some offering the brands that you’re considering (or maybe even some that you’re not) to help you decide what’s right for the riding you’re doing.

My two cents – nearly all modern bikes are all LLS compared to a few years back, and are seriously capable of handling speed. We’re going to starting to get to a point though, where the LLS thing is out of control, and by 2024 all our 58 degree head angle / 610mm reach trail-bikes will be good for is smashing huge rock gardens at speed and then doing it all again after your next uplift.

Don’t forget, before I shared all this “wisdom”, I prefixed it with a winky.

daviek

I just stuck an order in for an AM9 there’s new frames coming at the tail end of next month I think it is, shorter seat tubes the same as the Aether7 which suits me as I’ll be able to fit a 150 dropper on it.

georgesdad

rockandrollmark your wisdom is bang on 😂

And I share your thoughts on the whole LLS thing. The Neuron would suit my riding perfectly most of the time, but I don’t want to lumber myself with a bike I’ll end up out-riding as my confidence improves and if I end up at more trail centres. Is this why N+1 exists, I wonder? 😂😂😂

damascus
    Free Member

rockandrollmark your wisdom is bang on 😂

Eventually you will come to the same conclusion as the rest of us. One bike cannot rule them all. What you need is a xc mile muncher and an all mountain bike for big days out.

Obviously that leads to having a winter hack bike made up of old bits you had in the spares bin so you can look after your pride and joy but it’s no fun riding crap bikes so you gradually upgrade the hack and its riding great now, almost too good for a winter hack. But now you have some left over bits in the spares bin and you build another bike.

Before long you are having packages posted to work so your partner won’t question you and your next frame is in the same colour as the one before so you can just pretend it’s the same bike.

Be careful, it’s a slippery road to N+1

oikeith

OP Dont forget you can demo the Bird at quite a few places, Cwmcarn & Swinley instantly swing to mind but I am sure there are others.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have a Bird Aeris 145LT, a very impressive bike, at least for me. It is pretty much only for Enduro duties, I tried an AM9 (an even more impressive bike) and if I was more serious about Enduros it would be the obvious choice – decision was made by weight, I’m old and slow and not as strong as I was. If can ride the whole track, that’s a win for me.
    I pair it up with a Solaris for local rides. I actually prefer the Solaris, I find ‘modern bikes’, damp down the ride but I’m old fashioned and get my kicks from simple singletrack.
    James, my racing son, tried both Birds and said Aeris a little bit light and flighty for serious stuff and speed (suits me) and that the AM9 is a full on decent Enduro machine, he’s encouraged others and now two of his fast friends now ride them. He’s sponsored, so rides what he’s given! And most of the time it makes no difference what bike he’s riding, it’s fast.
    As people have said above, most bikes are pretty good now, so see if you can try them, it seems other factors come into play rather than bike’s capability, like that Bird has no in frame hoses, something I find a real pain.
    Seems to me how fast and big do you go? And want to go?

georgesdad

I’ve already got rid of my 29er Cube hardtail. I liked the way it rode despite ridiculously “old fashioned” geometry. If I have a Bird, I can go for the green, and my wife won’t know the difference 😂

I’ve never been that bothered before now, I just tend to go out and ride. Can’t understand why I’m having such a hard time making a decision 🤔

It’s not like I’ll be disappointed with any of them, I’ve never spent more than a grand on a bike in my entire 30-odd years of riding.

richmtb

In the spirit of recommending what you own, have a look at the Whyte S150.

I think a few places still have 2018 models for £1800, thats with GX12 and a 150mm Rev.

Its geometry is pretty on trend

ampthill

And I share your thoughts on the whole LLS thing. The Neuron would suit my riding perfectly most of the time, but I don’t want to lumber myself with a bike I’ll end up out-riding as my confidence improves and if I end up at more trail centres.

When you day trail centre do you mean uplift? Because Trail centres like coed y brenin should be great on the Neuron shorley. That’s based on my trips on a 120 mm ancient trek fuel ex riding with the kids on rubbish hard tails. Don’t get me started on Micks kids on a rigid bike with 24inch wheels

I’m in my 50s so probably talking crap. Like many I’ve ridden the natural stuff you mention on a rigid bike. Not recommended but shorley 130mm would be fine

DickBarton

Go with frame and forks over components. Components can be upgraded when the wear out/fail.

georgesdad

If anyone’s interested, I made a decision. Had a couple of beers at the weekend, threw caution to the wind and bought a Canyon Spectral. Comes tomorrow.

igm

Let us know what you think. I’m interested in that one too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Commence eye-rolling, but I need advice please!’ is closed to new replies.