Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Commencal Supreme Mini DH 2 for the lad
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, I can get hold of the aformentioned bike for my boy, who is 10 and getting into park riding (whether he likes it or not… joke!)

spec here

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/commencal-supreme-mini-dh-2-review/

It’s 200 quid, hardly been used. good idea?  or am i going to piss away 3 times as much on shock services, impossible to get bearings and service kits and  coil springs that are suitable for his weight that are only available in titanium etc

intheborders
    Free Member

About the same era my youngest had an equivalent, a Norco 24.

TBH just get him decent kit on a quality HT – far, far lighter and they really don’t need FS.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I should perhaps add that when i say park riding it really is in a bike park. Åre here in Sweden. it’s lift assisted rough riding, a hardtail doesn’t cut it really

weeksy

Mmmmm tricky one… TBH if you like the idea and it’s working fully, i’d get it, run it for the season and then accept it may or may not be binned/charity bike at the end of it. You’ll manage to keep most things working with a bit of effort.

Worst case scenario, he hates it and you lose £100.

sharkattack

Might be alright for a young kind but that’s from the generation of Commencal frames when everything cracked. Absolutely everything. Plus it’s now 12 or 13 years old. I’d give it a very, very thorough inspection at the very least.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers , apparently it is barely used, but yes they all say that. it has it’s original tyres though and they look fresh, could be an indication.

Where in particular did they crack?

Thanks for the answers although I’m not getting super positive vibes…?

steveh

@sharkattack unlike the current generation of commencal frames where, everything cracks?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    sharkattack

@sharkattack unlike the current generation of commencal frames where, everything cracks?

Yeah you’re right about that actually. It’s just that in around 2010/11 I was still ‘in the trade’ and I saw one of the Commencal graveyards in the flesh. A whole outbuilding taken over by stacks and stacks of neon Meta and Supreme frames. Cool bikes at the time but very fragile.

OP, if I wanted an old 26″ park bike I’d be looking for a Transition Bottlerocket or a Specialized SX Trail. Maybe even an old Patriot or Five, at least they have the advatange of simplicity and easy maintenance. I had a Patriot 7+ the first time I went to Whistler and the Megavalanche and stuff. Absolutely battered the thing for years.

EDIT: These still look really good! http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3233190/

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That is lovely but it is 4x the price

Speeder

For £200 and in barely ridden condition it’s well worth it. It won’t be the lightest or best bike you can buy for him but it’ll be the best bike you can buy for that price for sure. Go for it.

Just check the size as it’s not as far as I’m aware a kid specific bike* and at 10 he’ll have to be huge to fit.

* Happy to be corrected on this.

ads678

Its £200! You can’t get much else for £200. I’d be giving it a go. Can’t see a 10 year old cracking it….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah exactly i dont think he’ll be pushing big.jumps yet. Cool i’ll check it out and let you.know how i get on!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.