Commencal Meta5 Bearing Change

Home Forum Bike Forum Commencal Meta5 Bearing Change

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Commencal Meta5 Bearing Change
  • DrP

A quick search brings this up…..

😉

DrP

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

For the small linkage triangles a bearing press of the type you can get from Superstar will do you. For the main pivot you odds on will need a vice. I did. On recomendation from my LBS I just cracked the old bearings off (wear eye protection). They prob won’t move otherwise.

That leaves the 2 in the linkage arm.

For those you need chuffing miracle…

MRanger156

Vice, socket set, wd40, old blunt srewdriver and a big lump hammer. Be prepared to hit the bearings pretty hard and swear a lot.

If the £40 from the bike shop included the bearings I’d go with that.

danielgroves

Hi All,

I have a Commencal Meta5.5 Superteam 2008 model, and to say the least the bearings are knackered. Can anyone give me any pointers for what I need to do to change them, tools required etc. I have a full set of spare bearings already that came with the frame.

I did ask the LBS how it would cost for them to do it, but they quoted £40, money I really don’t have right now. Anyhow, I’d rather spend £80 on tools if need be and be able to use them again in the future than £40 for a one-off job.

Thanks,

Dan.

Premier Icon iain1775
    Subscriber

£40 for a bike shop to do that work is a bargain, snap them up
    Main pivot are an absolute pig, on the 2008 model and if they have been there since new then likely will be pretty seized in
    It’s at least a 2hour job with plenty of swearing and cracked knuckles to do them all, I would expect nearer £60 at typical bike shop rates
    I know having changed mine once before I would gladly pay someone £60 to do them For me again

danielgroves

Thanks guys, I might well just book it in then if thats the case, I’m not really sure how long the bearing have been in, I bought the frame second hand about nine month ago, they were all smooth at the time.

That price doesn’t include bearings though, but I do have a set that came with the frame.

Grimy

Ive just done the main pivot bearings on a meta 6 for my mate. I’m used to changing bearings as I’m a maintenance engineer. Trust me, for 40 notes, get it done at the shop if you’ve reletivly little experience doing them. It could easily go all wrong if your using big blunt screwdrivers a sockets as described above. The swing arms an awquard shape to hold and brace square whilst you drift the old bearings out. The force needed to move them could well screw the frame up if you get it wrong and their seized in, and if you smash the inner bearing ring, leaving the outer stuck in, your in for even more fun if it’s behind the inner lip. It might look like a simple task, but theres a lot about fitting bearings than most will realise. I’ve even seen bike shops knock a bearing in by the inner ring, so their not always right either, but at least your frame should be safe.

The little 608 bearings in the shock linkage are a piece of piss though.

danielgroves

Thanks Grimy,

It’s booked in at the LBS for Tuesday, and as they’re shut on Sundays now that means no riding over the bank holiday as I’ll have to take it in on the Saturday 🙁

Ah well, at least it’ll all be nice a smooth for the weekend after.

Thanks,

Dan.

danielgroves

Does anyone know where I might be able to source a new “bearing sleeve” for the main pivot? The LBS has advised me to change it. They can get one, but have said it’ll be quite a wait and so faster if I can source one. Have had a google around and don’t seem to be able to find anything? Pain looking at the moment as well as I only have a 3G Internet connection while waiting for my provider to flick the switch and turn us on.

MRanger156

What do you mean by bearing sleeve? I have a cracked 2007 model so might be able to help you out with a part.

matthewrangeleyATgmailDOTcom

danielgroves

Good question, i’m repeating what the LBS told me on the phone.

From what the mechanic was saying it sounds like he either meant the spindle that that goes through the main bearings, or is their a sleeve in the frame they sit inside? I think they probably mean the former as I don;t recall seeing anything else when I attempted to strip it down.

If it does what it says on the tin, this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commencal-main-pivot-bearings-puller-press-kit-Meta-Supreme-Combi-disc-Furious-/140683188458#vi-content

This seems to a simple and reasonable priced DIY tool for the job.

Subscriber

what do they say is wrong with it? they’re pretty indestructible i thought… (not necessarily questioning the lbs. just interested)

danielgroves

@squealingbrakes – Thanks, i’l remember that for next time.

@unklehomered – Nope they didn’t, but they did say they’ll be having another go at the main bearings today, from what they were saying sounds like they’re pretty stuck. I’ll ask them when they ring later with the progress. It may have been a simple case of replace the part because it’s easier than getting the bearings off.

Subscriber

I reckon so actually.

JDcycles in ilkley, when they did commencal, told me bugger try to drift them off, put them in a vice and crack them off. Won’t damage the axle, bearings crack before that happens. Had them all off in 15 mins. Eye protection mghtily recommended though… might be worth passing that on. No harm in trying. For spares give real cycles a look, they may still have some in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta5 Bearing Change’ is closed to new replies.