Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commencal meta any good?
  • ritchic
    Free Member

Hi my mate is just lookin at 1 and don’t really know anything about them. Any experiences good or bad. It’s a 2nd 1 he is looking at about 2008 I think. With fox float r shock on rear

ritchic
    Free Member

Someone must have some feedback

weeksy

They’re very very good…

However, they also do have a fair few cracked frames out there.

I’d buy one… but only at the right money.

ritchic
    Free Member

Any idea where they crack is it mostly the same place

weeksy

Varies but at the seat post join with top frame member is very common.

hora
    Free Member

Lots of people like them, tbh I struggled with mine. It felt like an awkward set of angles and I couldn’t get my head around the 20″ seat tube on the large. It just felt forward leaning even with 150mm forks and that relaxed seat tube angle.

ritchic
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Do they climb badly. As its not got pro pedal

weeksy

I found it pretty good for climbing in all honesty. A little heavy… but depends what you’re comparing it to of course.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Do you know which one?
    There a load of Metas – 5, 6, 4x, SX, SL, AM.

2008, I would guess at Meta 5. Great bike, slightly flexy back end benefits from bolt through, goes well with 150mm fork. Goes up well, goes down better, loads of grip.

2009’s were the bad year for manufacutre, my 2008 too lots of stick – Peaks, jumps, Alps and is going well with it’s second owner who I ride with.

Check head tube and seat cluster connections carefully and around the shock mounts.

retro83
    Free Member

Check around the welds on the suspension mountings on the front triangle at both ends, i.e. where the rocker is mounted and where the shock attaches to the frame.

I had a 2008 in medium, and loved it. It was okay for climbing with an RP23 and a DHX Air, where it really comes into its own is downhill, or ragging around singletrack in the woods etc. It’s not the best suspension ever in terms of square edge hits, braking etc, but it’s predictable and fun to ride.

Are you sure the Float R doesn’t have ProPedal? I know my Float R did have it (and you couldn’t turn the PP off)

And as the poster above mentions, they benefit greatly from a bolt through (maxle) or 10mm QR.

dmorts

I’ve got a 2010 Meta 55 and it’s great. Back wheel is a bit vague at times but it’s a lot of fun.

Before I bought it I looked around and it seems it was in 2009 that they fixed the frame cracking issues, so 2010 onwards is ok (I hope!). Not sure I’d go with a 2008 model unless it was cheap

EDIT: Seems 2009 was the bad year http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/commencal-cracking-frames-which-was-the-dodgy-year. Maybe 2008 would be ok

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2008 Meta 5.5 VIP.

Fantastic confidence inspiring frame, travel at the back feels almost bottomless.

I upgraded the rear end to bolt-thru and it’s made the world of a difference. Tracks far better than it did with QR through the back.

I rarely actually use ProPedal on my RP23. When sat down their is very little movement, although they do bounce a lot pedalling stood up, but then I’d imagine any full-sus would. Got mine set-up with 150mm revs, 1×10, Flow EX hope hoops and a KS dropper. Really amazing frame, especially when you point it down hill.

Are you sure the Float R doesn’t have ProPedal? I know my Float R did have it (and you couldn’t turn the PP off)

Float R is rebound only, need one from the RP series for ProPedal.

hora
    Free Member

Yes- the rear seems to ‘smear’ (weird to describe correctly but for me thats the word!).

Climbs good IMO with minimal bob.

It feels a smidge heavier than 7.5lb. The later ones are slightly more overbuilt. Is that a fair comment? As mine felt quite heavy and had a lot of tapering etc in internal tubing.

Would I have bought it with hindsight? No. Did I enjoy it? Yes.

for once I can see where bikeradar is/was coming from on their review. It sounds like the earlier ones had character/fun. Get an early one and ride it until (if) it does crack.

ritchic
    Free Member

It’s a meta 6 so I believe. But not sure about year

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commencal meta any good?’ is closed to new replies.