Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Commencal Meta AM V4
  • paulnorman
    Free Member

Does anyone own a Commencal Meta AM V4? Im thinking of buying one but not sure what Commencal are like now that they are direct sales. Also how good is the bike?

adsbatts89
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one and I think its great. I’ve ridden it a hand full of times so far including the grizedale Enduro. The sizing and geometry are modern (long and slack) and its rides like a steamroller! This means its not the most playful but its fast.
    I went for the lowest spec but I’d recommend going for the rockshox spec if you’ve got the cash.

blairc70
    Free Member

Ive had a couple of frames off them and built them up. missing gromets on one but arrived in a few days with some touch up paint that I’d asked for.( free )

My V4 is spot on, would recommend you get one, better than the V3 up and downhill.

Look like good value for the complete bike.

Think it won ‘what bike’ trail bike of year. There is also a Commencal owners Facebook page if your into that.

hope that helps

benmarshall
    Free Member

I’ve had mine about a month now. Went full ‘A la carte’ with a few bits and peices coming from other places.

Superb bike, fast, stable and really fun.

I wouldn’t shy away from a direct sale from Commencal but it is more difficult if things don’t go smoothly.

Mine was delivered with some slight damage to the cranks in transit and with a missing chain guide. Commencal still sorting out refund for guide and compensation for damaged cranks several weeks later. More hassle than dealing with your local shop but the price is fantastic. Delivery took less than two weeks.

I’m in edinburgh if you’re near and want to have a look at one.

akip
    Free Member

Any excuse to show off my new Meta. 🙂

Brilliant bike, and that is after coming off an Intense Tracer2, which was very good itself. Took me four or five days out on it to get used to it, and start pushing it enough. I am still far from testing its limits though. Pedals well, goes like a animal, and likes to be pushed around/played around on. Commencal messed up shipping it to me, and communication with them was difficult (lots of promises to call me back, and they never did). Completely recommended, despite that though.

samcamsdad

I ordered mine in February, and it arrived towards the end of March. I also used the a la carte option, with pikes, and monarch plus shock. Buying this way is great imo, as I could use hope hoops and brakes, and my existing drive train. I now have the bike just as I want it, for about £2400.
    Their is an issue with the reverb, in they sent me the wrong one, and it’s still not been sorted out! Their communication is poor, as is after sales service.
    A real shame, as the bike is excellent!
    I think it’s worth the risk, buying direct, as the price is great. And it is a superb bike for the riding I do, which is 2 or 3 hour loops in the lakes.
    Here’s me looking all enduro on mine at grizedale pmba rd 2

Rickos
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/commencal-meta-am-v4-any-good

My view on that thread. If it’s in stock you’ll have it in less than a week, typically 48 hours I believe judging by a recent thread. Great bike.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Part of me thinks it’s the new Crapra, but the other part thinks it looks beautiful, i want!

mark_rich
    Free Member

Anyone got an a la carte one with the BOS suspension? Worth it?
    Very tempted to order one this week, anyone got pics of an XL size?

hora
    Free Member

Wish they did it in different colours instead of magic marker 😀

Leigh2612
    Free Member

i can only find marzocchi coil shocks on the a la carte frame list…am I missing something?

hora
    Free Member

Other options greyed out means out of stock

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I couldn’t even see any greyed out…will try again!
    Edit- still just Marz for me..

mark_rich
    Free Member

A la carte menu doesn’t work on my mobile, need to view it on PC to see the options.

seavers
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the stock RIMS / Alpha 650B, 32H, 28mm wheelset is tubeless? The website seems to contradict its self.

META AM V4 ESSENTIAL PLUS 650B YELLOW 2015

RIMS / Alpha 650B, 32H, 28mm, Non Tubeless

META AM V4 ESSENTIAL 650B YELLOW 2015

RIMS / ALPHA 650B, 32H, 28mm, sleeved joint, Tubeless ready

In thier component section you can buy a wheelset that looks like the ones supplied on the bikes, tech specs seem to match. Again tubeless ready.

ALPHA ENDURO 650B WHEELSET 10/11V NEON YELLOW

– Tubeless Ready

Confused face. Any owners have experiance that can shed some light on this?

adsbatts89
    Free Member

The wheels are tubeless ready which means you just need a tubeless valve.http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/alloy-tubeless-valve.htm

To be honest the wheels are bit crappy though if you plan to hammer the bike.

seavers
    Free Member

Thanks adsbatts89. I suppose they can be upgraded later, just didn’t fancy the extra cost for a UST wheelset straight away.

seavers
    Free Member

A quick update regarding the wheel set being tubeless. At the same time as asking here I also email Commencal. Apparently the stock wheel sets on the bikes are not tubeless.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us.
    I confirm you that your rims aren’t Tubeless Ready.
    The models we sell in after market are NOVATEC DIABLO which are tubeless Ready.

Have a good day,

Matthieu

MATTHIEU BEAUBE
    COMMENCAL STORE

This might help someone.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Funny, their online specs say otherwise. I guess an actual look at the wheel will tell me.

euans2
    Free Member

Here is the reply I had from commencal regarding the wheels

Hi Euan,

Thanks for your order.

Those rims are no tubeless at all, even with tape and valves sorry.

I’m guessing that they use different rims on the Origin and Essential models than what they do on the Race

euans2
    Free Member

On further inspection it appears to only be the Plus models that have the different rims…. Strange

hora
    Free Member

Any questions call them. There was loads of info that I couldn’t see ontheir site (from my phone) so I rang- immediate pickup and immediate answer. The chap did say ‘all our info is on the site you know’ but when I said ‘sure, because on my phone’… he then said ‘ah yes that info doesn’t show on phones’….

arogers
    Free Member

I’ve been on the bike a few months now and I really like it. Most of my thoughts are on this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/meta-v4-any-one-got-a-pic-of-an-xl-size

On the subject of wheels – I thought they were tubeless ready, and actually got them set up tubeless. It was an absolute PITA though, I now realise why… In the end it didn’t matter too much as both wheels self destructed in under 50 miles. Commencal agreed to replace the front but, despite numerous emails, I’m still waiting more than 2 months down the line.

benkitcher
    Free Member

I bought the V3 essential the other week – wheels are Alpha and the rims say “Tubeless Ready” on them on the sticker by the valve hole. Not tried yet mind.

EDIT

This image is from the Meta V4 Origin:

EDIT

This one is from the V3 Essential:

EDIT #2

You can see the difference – the V3 has the smaller Tubeless Ready text, the V4 has just “650b”. The V4 Essential says Tubeless Ready on the picture.

tomtomr

I have the Origin model with a number of upgrades/bits swapped from my V3 Meta. The wheels are set up tubeless with rim tape and valves. It is a lot more of a ballache to get the bead to seat than on either the 26″ Flows I had before or the Superstar wheelset I have on another bike.

Like others here mention, I have just had to rebuild the rear wheel with new spokes as it was eating the non-driveside spokes. For some reason they kept snapping inside the nipple :/

I’m also on my second pair of the Marzocchi 350s as Windwave decided the originals needed to go back to Italy for inspection after problems with excessive stiction. And the Monarch Plus I bought separately to replace the x-fusion shock is also back at Fishers after developing a problem in the compression circuit. So currently running the x-fusion on it, which is OK but doesn’t match the Monarch+ for performance.

So, all in all it’s been an eventful 3 months of ownership but I’d still recommend the bike. I’d probably buy frame only if I was doing it all again, but they didn’t have this in stock at the time of buying.

euans2
    Free Member

I have just checked the wheels on my V4 Essential Plus, Commencal are advertising them as 28mm external, they are in fact only 26 so instead of giving a 23mm internal they only give a 21mm internal

Rickos
    Free Member

My wheels say tubeless ready on them. AM Race model.

euans2
    Free Member

Just had a reply from them admitting that there was a mistake on the website, they have offered me tubeless enduro wheels at a reduced price, I suppose my next question is, are they worth buying over say a set of Hope/flow or enduro wheels?

julez
    Free Member

Just seen this post as am in a fing-dong with commencal.

I’m annoyed with commencal as when ordering a V4 Race I thought the wheels were the same as their after market Enduro set. Described exactly the same.

When I tried to inflate tubeless really struggled. Then a spoke broke on the flat and this got me thinking they weren’t as good as a £500 set of wheels I thought they were.

Finally commencal admitted they wheels are not the same as novatec diabolo.
    Had I known I wouldn’t have bought the Race version.

I note for 2016 the V4 has E13 wheels rather than alpha and upgraded components. All for the same price.

My V4, in a matter of months has reduced hugely in value.

Thanks commencal! First and last time I’ll buy this brand.

barffy
    Free Member

That’s the same with everything though julez, you can’t expect to buy something and it not to depreciate!

P.S Wheels are s*** is the general consensus. I need to replace mine soon as I’ve killed them. Mine came drilled for schraeder which was a PITA.

funkybaj
    Free Member

I’ve just placed an order for a 2016 AM V4 and have a question regarding the brake setup.

Do they come euro style and require the levers/hoses to be swapped over?

johnmu

yes i’m pretty sure mine did but the SRAM levers are symmetrical so you can just swap them over. (unless someone more knowledgeable contradicts me of course :))
    i did buy a bard and ferule form somewhere when i decided to cut down the hose length and also note the frame is drilled on the assumption it will be cabled euro styley. I just putt two cable through one grommet, doesn’t look too bad at all.

enjoy the bike but put some frame tape on the rear stays to avoid the heel rub issues. Sorry getting carried away but here’s my solution to the hole behind the bottom bracket, hope it is of use.
    http://p88i.imgup.net/2015-11-135165.png
    http://o28i.imgup.net/2015-11-13b2a6.png

funkybaj
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ve just also read that the sram guide levers are ambidextrous, I assume that means I can simply unbolt them and swap them over!? Sounds cool.

slackcommuter
    Free Member

I’m very close to opting for a meta am v4 and the only thing that is stopping me is the reviews saying there is a heel rub/clearance problem with the frame. Sounds like there is quite a few v4 owners on this thread, so could I get your thoughts on whether it is a real issue?

Thanks!

miketbrown
    Free Member

Bought one for my son last month in their 2015 sale (the Meta am v4 Race Rockshox Yellow). I would say the heal rub is only an issue if you have large-ish feet. I’m a size 7 and I didn’t have any problems.

samcamsdad

Size 10 five ten user here, there are rub marks on my frame, but I’ve never noticed my feet rubbing the frame while riding, so not a problem for me.

slackcommuter
    Free Member

Cheers samcamsdad, that’s encouraging, I don’t mind the idea of the frame taking some flack (although, still not ideal) as long as it isn’t a distraction when riding or affecting the handling. I’m size 9 five ten

euans2
    Free Member

Also a size 10 5/10 user and I’ve got no rub marks what so ever on my frame, I use dmr vault pedals which are quite wide

miketbrown
    Free Member

Definitely recommend the bike though. Excellent vfm. Just be aware that imo the ordering process was somewhat ‘eccentric’. Def not done with the professionalism of Canyon. E.g. my tracking email was in 3 languages with the English links being broken, so I used google translate to read where my bike was in the shipping chain. It turned up tho. Less than a week from order to door. So efficient if nothing else.

euans2
    Free Member

I have to agree with Mike, the tracking details were also useless for me as I never got them until after the bike was delivered lol

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Commencal Meta AM V4’ is closed to new replies.