• This topic has 88 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Commando on ZX Spectrum
  • scuttler

Yeah OK, posted on another thread that magicked itself off to /dev/null but just wanna say if that geezer’s still around I had many hours enjoying this

“Q, A, O, P, Space, M” yeah baby!

bob_summers

Never had a ZX Spectrum but loved Cannon Fodder on Amiga

Harry_the_Spider

Woah! Flashback!

Anyone remember 3D Ant Attack?

The stuff of nightmares.

zilog6128

Yeah OK, posted on another thread that magicked itself off to /dev/null

gutted it got nuked before he could come back with a cheat code I’d requested 🤣

Northwind

Midnight Resistance, jumpers for goalposts, Magicland Dizzy, Lords of Midnight free on the Crash cover tape, eee

al2000

A colleague of mine is still creating Spectrum and ZX81 games – they’re good too!

https://bobs-stuff.itch.io/

twistedpencil

Green Beret – Deathchase 3D – Horace Goes Skiing

I had three Spectrums, 16k with the rubber keys (I still have this one 🙂 ), 48k+ and a 128k +3 with disc drive.   Happy days.

honeybadgerx

Zaxxon all the way.

richmtb

I had Commando on the CPC464

I’ve also got it on the Nintendo Switch in the guise of Capcom Arcade Cabinet.

Christ old arcade games were hard. Even within infinite credits I’ve got nowhere near beating Ghost’n’Goblins or Commando. I did manage to sink the Yamato in 1943 though!

flicker
    Free Member

Same games but Amstrad cpc464.

Fond memories of Renegade, yie ar Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, Dan dare, Ikari warriors, IK+, barbarian, who dares wins to name just a few

mrsheen
    Free Member

Yie ar kung fu and Spy Hunter for me please!

beamers

Elite on the Spectrum+ FTW!

scuttler

Backstory for them that missed it is the owner/founder of Elite popped on here earlier touting some warez but got shutdown for an infringement.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have heard it said that the guy in question has form, shall we say.

richmtb

Backstory for them that missed it is the owner/founder of Elite popped on here earlier touting some warez but got shutdown for an infringement.

These guys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Systems

Their port of Ghost’n’Goblins on the CPC464 was garbage, Arthur didn’t even lose his armour. Their shitty E-bike can piss off 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Elite on the Spectrum+ FTW!

Important to distinguish between Elite the game and Elite the software house.

I very much doubt David Braben was on here trying to punt shonky software. He’s quite busy this week.

Cougar

I have this that I really need to get back on the bench post-move.

https://www.specnext.com/about/

I have heard it said that the guy in question has form, shall we say.

Indeed.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I had a ZX Spectrum back in the late 80s and it played a massive part in my childhood. I had an absolute **** ton of pirated tapes.

Bubble Bobble

beamers

sirromj

Mate showed me this on spectrum so I bought it for my CPC

Never got very far. Played it on emulator and got further a couple of years ago but stil can’t beat it not that I’ve seriously tried to.

martinhutch

Time-eater…

twonks

What’s all this spectrum beep beep beep rubbish.

Bring on the C64 and Sid for proper gaming.

I play them both on retro builds and the games seem rock hard nowadays.

Uridium has me swearing on the second level and Monty on the run is devilishly tricky.

daviek

Loved my Spectrum! Dont think I ever hit elite but got to deadly a couple of times. Bubble Bobble was ace! have that on PC now and still dabble a bit although rainbow islands its follow up was ok but not as fun. The monty mole games were as twonks says fairly tricky but again good fun.
    I remember having stacks of C90 tapes with where to stop the counter for the start of the game and the settings for tone and volume to get them to work …. happy days

kayla1
    Free Member

Yie ar kung fu and Spy Hunter for me please!

Yeah baby! Also, Commando is v.cool. Renegade and Target Renegade FTW as well. Renegade 3 can get the sea though.

LeeW

I thought Operation Wolf on my 128k+2 was the bees knees in the late 80s!

TooTall
    Free Member

Sabre Wulf
    Knight Lore
    Underwurlde

Games to keep you entertained.

My mum finished Sabre Wulf before I did.

fossy

Loved all the ‘Ultimate’ games – still got them in the attic. The Spectrum’s not working anymore as my son pulled out the joystick expansion port whilst switched on (many years ago). Probably blew a capacitor or some such.

xora

<div class=”bbp-reply-content p-0″>

Loved my Spectrum! Dont think I ever hit elite but got to deadly a couple of times.

</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content p-0″>

Save game, hit escape, go back, bingo 😉 (or maybe it was load)

</div>

fossy

I’ve got a Spectrum emulator on my Arcade Cabinet I built. The main emulator is Mame – can’t get my wife off Bubble Bobble – she used to make 10p last hours in the Arcade.

funkmasterp

Me and a friend broke his parents TV playing Strider on the C64. There was a level where the screen flips and controls reverse. We decided it would be better to flip the TV. Damaged the tubes and ruined the picture.

I also got in big trouble with my parents after ringing a walkthrough telephone number for Treasure Island Dizzy. That was a big phone bill.

Rolling Thunder, Rainbow Islands, Renegade, Spy Hunter and Gauntlet were all classics. So many good yet ridiculously difficult games.

My grandad found a couple of tapes and played them. He asked my older brother if it was his music 😀

I’m tempted by Bubble Bobble 4 and Ghosts N Goblins on the Switch but they are quite pricey.

iolo
    Free Member

This destroyed my keyboard.

Also a favourite

funkmasterp

For Decathlon you needed a kempston joystick. The one with the metal rod where you could change the grips.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Uridium has me swearing on the second level and Monty on the run is devilishly tricky.

Yeah, 1980s difficulty levels are a shock to the system!

FWIW, I owned a +2 back in the day, the first Spectrum released under the watchful eye of Amstrad. It took me a few months to figure out that turning a grubscrew on the motherboard calmed the constant static buzz down. A friend at the time had a +3 that had seriously distorted sound, so I guess that I was lucky. Speccy games are best enjoyed in emulation, TBH.

The joys of going to Boots or WH Smith and buying a yellow-cased Mastertronic cassette for £1.99…

richmtb

I’m tempted by Bubble Bobble 4 and Ghosts N Goblins on the Switch but they are quite pricey.

If you download Capcom Arcade Stadium which is a free download you get 1943 for free and you can then buy game packs to fill the “arcade” most of the pack are bundles of 12 games but you can get Ghost n Goblins on its own for a couple of quid

z1ppy

The joys of going to Boots or WH Smith and buying a yellow-cased Mastertronic cassette for £1.99…

XD, I had numerous filled 90minute tapes. No photocopiers or scanners, so I converted the jetpack Willy code card into number chart with colour key, I really wanted to play that game. My 48k is still in original box in the loft

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s a PC version these days by same programmer called Chaos Reborn, loved the original, lots of accusations about looking when mates were choosing their spell and whether it was real or illusion.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had forgotten all about Decathlon! There’s a trip down memory lane.

It’s no odd job Eddie mind.

maca
    Free Member

my favourites were manic miner, saboteur, attic attack and horace and the spiders.

Drac

Never had a ZX Spectrum but loved Cannon Fodder on Amiga

The heartbreak as a soldier you’d worked up the ranks gets killed and his name is on the gravestone at the end of the mission. 😢

mrsheen
    Free Member

sacred armour of Antiriad

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Commando on ZX Spectrum’ is closed to new replies.