Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Coming to a trail centre car park near you, soon…
  • ta11pau1

ElShalimo

Isn’t it the Sharan platform not van platform?

rockandrollmark

I like how they went to the effort of integrating the front radar sensor into the overall design so that it doesn’t look like a last minute on afterthought.

alpin
    Free Member

front radar sensor into the overall design so that it doesn’t look like a last minute on afterthought.

Lots of VWs/VAGs seem to have this feature.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Think I’d rather wait for a buzz.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope, it’s not even a van.

Epic fail OP.

timbog160

Got a T6 which I’ll be looking to replace next year, but that doesn’t even come close to being an option, mainly because it looks gopping…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got a T6 which I’ll be looking to replace next year, but that doesn’t even come close to being an option, mainly because it looks gopping…

When has that ever put anyone off a T6? Lots of owners seem to actively embrace it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=t6+custom

mjsmke

So it’s a very expensive version of my Berlingo.

chrismac

Wait till the transit based t7 comes along

grum
    Free Member

Kind of looks like an ugly ‘space age’ Ford Galaxy. It will sell bucketloads.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Looks like an MPV doing MPV. Fine for those of us capable of disassembling a bike, other options are available.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in no way a van lover and I care nothing for T6s and whatnot – I actively despise ‘van life’ bollocks. But I quite like that as an MPV. Maybe these two things are related.

ta11pau1

Nope, it’s not even a van

But it says multivan 😜

I actually think its decent in terms of practically, take all the seats out and bung the bikes in the back at the weekend, put them back in and do the school run the next day. And you get all the car tech luxuries.

It is going to cost about £50k though…

But yeah, was a little tongue in cheek, but probably not far from the truth either with the van life people.

peteimpreza

Hybrid only? No full EV option?

ratherbeintobago

No, because the ID.Buzz which is full EV, launches next year.

sharkattack

Does anyone know the dimensions of the bonnet? I’m going to have a batch of bras made up.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im not sure if a full EV would work for a lot of bike riders.

Can you imagine driving from probably most places to say BPW/Afan/CyB and back. About halfway there you will be searching for a service station that doesn’t have a massive que for the charging points, hoping they will work and hoping the coffee is good for the hour wait to get on one, then the hour wait while it charges up. Then while enjoying the trail centre you start to worry about the return journey.

I think Hybrids will be the better choice for some time to come.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Id buzz is supposedly going to have a range of be 371 miles, that should do quite well.

I quite like the t7 mpv and that they have separated it from the van, but I like the look of the buzz more. I’ll see how it turns out.

DickBarton

I like the size, don’t like the 2-tone colours and agree, it’ll cost a fortune. I’m not a VW fan, but will take another nosey at some point. Hybrid isn’t doing it for me…should be full on ev or full on ice, but I’m clearly not the intended market as the badge and colour scheme do nothing for me.

olly2097
    Free Member

molgrips
    I’m in no way a van lover and I care nothing for T6s and whatnot – I actively despise ‘van life’ bollocks. But I quite like that as an MPV. Maybe these two things are related

Won’t find you at camperjam talking about the “scene” then? I’m with you 😂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can you imagine driving from probably most places to say BPW/Afan/CyB and back. About halfway there you will be searching for a service station that doesn’t have a massive que for the charging points, hoping they will work and hoping the coffee is good for the hour wait to get on one, then the hour wait while it charges up. Then while enjoying the trail centre you start to worry about the return journey.

Assumes that destinations are stuck behind the times and don’t have chargers installed. 371 miles each way then seems like it would be enough!

Kahurangi

No Transporter Van based on this, the T6.1 is to continue a while longer.

weeksy

Assumes that destinations are stuck behind the times and don’t have chargers installed

Yeah I can see that being right on the agenda at Afan.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s on the agenda everywhere, aren’t you following the news? There’ll ve more charging points than you can shake a stick at before you know it.

Afan and Cwmcarn are already a piece of cake because they are just off the motorway. Coed y Brenin more challenging now but it won’t be long. The WG knows which side their bread is buttered.

neilnevill
    Free Member

It does feel to me like if you buy a new car/van in the next year or two and intended to keep it for a while, that you should think carefully. If your buy ice, you could find yourself limited to a small number of filling stations within a decade.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hybrid only? No full EV option?

Because batteries would not get you there and back

So why is this thing ok but SUV’s are hated here ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If your buy ice, you could find yourself limited to a small number of filling stations within a decade.

There’s an alternative school of thought that petrol/diesel is just going to trickle allong at much the same price but it’s use will dwindle untill it’s mostly forgotten about untill you see a classic car/motorbike go past and everyone points.

2025 is when euro7 comes in and it’s thought that will be the death of small ICE cars as it will be too expensive to make them compliant. Larger cars might get another generation as they can absorb the cost. So given a ~15 year lifespan that’s abour 2040-2045 before the numbers really start to drop.

Beyond 2045, who knows. Running classic cars on ethanol?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It occurred to me the other day* that trail centres are one of the only places I visit that don’t have charging points. Which is wierd given the users tend to have driven there, stay for hours and the demographic is affluent technophiles.

*I was cycling past a public charging point in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, before someone accuses me of being a townie.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh, anyone who drives the kind of distances quoted up there who doesnt stop for a break for half an hour is a bit dim anyway.

ji
    Free Member

Looks nice and all, but is pretty much a Ford Galaxy rather than a van.

danmac
    Free Member

Il be proudly sticking with my Ozone destroying AWD V8 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

It occurred to me the other day* that trail centres are one of the only places I visit that don’t have charging points.

Do you know the cost of implementing EV infrastructure to ‘remote’ places? IIRC the cost of getting just the electrical connection to one rural car park was in excess of £300k! Unsurprisingly, that one never went ahead 🤣😂

I can see trail centres queuing up to spend £10k’s on new substations for folk that are too tight to pay a parking fee.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m think there are electric charging points at Cwmcarn.

Edit. Yes,
    Open POD

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you know the cost of implementing EV infrastructure to ‘remote’ places? IIRC the cost of getting just the electrical connection to one rural car park was in excess of £300k! Unsurprisingly, that one never went ahead 🤣😂

Given that they probably already have 3-phase for the cafe. And Afan/BPW/Cyb are hardly what you would call remote.

And have you considered the cost of digging a hole in the ground and sinking a big tank into it, installing pumps and having fuel delivered by lorry every few days? Thats a big cost. What EV charging will do is spread charging infrastructure out to anywhere with an electicity supply so rather than having to make a special trip to the petrol station you just plug in at the car park wherever you’re going.

Try and laugh it off all you like, it’s the way things are going.

metalheart
    Free Member

Try and laugh it off all you like, it’s the way things are going.

Who is laughing? I’m asking who is paying for it? Your analogy is useless as (to my knowledge) as trail centres aren’t trying to sell you fuel for your ICE vehicle to get there. But you are asking them to increase their electrical infrastructure (even the twin 8kW chargers need a 63A breaker, how many trail centres, what a shop and cafe, have that spare capacity?). Don’t even ask about a fast charger as that needs a three phase 100A supply iirc.

As far as I am aware there is currently no EV infrastructure planning policy in the UK. There isn’t even really any guidance…

Believe me, EV provision quickly undergoes “VE” pretty early on… it’s a nice to have, yes we are definitely going to need it sometime but nobody has the money to pay for it. Sorry…

You obtained any quotes for chargers recently?

DickBarton

SUV is frowned upon as it is bought for a completely inappropriate reason (school run, image, keeping up with the Jones, etc.) – they are a bad car choice for many many people – poor fuel economy is a Biggie for me personally – but they want them as they feel they have to have something big.
    Berlingo-sized stuff seems to be liked here as it is more cat-like and can do many things and they have real practical benefits.
    End of the day, it is yet another vehicle on the road so it isn’t all that good no matter how you polish it.
    Mildly annoyingly, demand for Berlingo-sized vehicles seems to have rocketed so finding a suitable second-hand one is proving very difficult at an affordable price!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Metal heart, I work at DFT, there is plenty of ev infrastructure planning and implementation projects…. You’ll not be far from a charger of various types for long.

Tinas haven’t we said no sales of new ice from 2030 and several manufacturers committed to full change before then? Without looking it up Volvo and 2025 rings a bell. I can see ice numbers being way down by 2030, and by 2035 maybe down to to some pretty low levels. This is crystal ball gazing of course, but the change will happen over a decade largely, and it could well be this decade

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Don’t even ask about a fast charger as that needs a three phase 100A supply iirc.

Why are we talking about fast chargers for somewhere where people are going to be parked up for 6-8 hours?

The problem posed was how do you get to a trail center and back on a 371 mile charge. So we’re talking about a small minority of the people there who have travelled 3+ hours each way. Perhaps a handful of vehicles. With 6+ hours to top up the batteries.

So if it was actually a real world problem we’re talking single figures of 5-10kw chargers somewhere that already has a connection. Not a hundred supercharger points in some off grid car park.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Given that the t7 isn’t even an EV, I’m in danger of going way OT here… Whenever I see this ‘but it might mildly inconvenience me at some point’ argument pointed at EV’s, I find it hard to get too bothered.

Probably everyone on here has grown up in an era where we’ve been able to hop in a privately owned car and go hundreds of miles at the drop of a hat – but at what cost?

It’s probably not a popular opinion, but if hauling a couple of tonnes of metal half way across the country to mess about on bikes for a few hours becomes ever so slightly less convenient, is that actually a bad thing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Coming to a trail centre car park near you, soon…’ is closed to new replies.