Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Coming soon to an OS Explorer map near you…
  • Kit
    Free Member

…my photo! 😀 On the front cover of the Explorer 350 Edinburgh map, to be exact. Pretty chuffed.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rsvwQD]Salisbury Crags[/url] by Kit Carruthers, on Flickr

Anyone else enter the OS Photofit competition? There’s a gallery of winners on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/osmapping/sets/72157649182501294/

GrahamS

Like! Cracking photo.

(I used to live in one of those flats at the left of that shot)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sweet!

kcal

nice evening light 🙂 fond memories ..

martinhutch

Great shot. There seems to be a somewhat variable quality across the competition though – not sure how many entries they had to choose from for some of the map regions.

CountZero

Chuffin’ heck, Kit, that’s a great photo, terrific light! Well done, that man. 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Lovely photo, well done!

Kit
    Free Member

Cheers! It was taken back in February; bunked off work for a bit to go catch the sunset. It’s such a great viewpoint, arguably better than going all the way up to the top of Arthur’s Seat 🙂

@martinhutch Yes, I thought that too. I suppose there’ll be honeypot areas (like Edinburgh, The Lakes, etc.) that’ll be stuffed full of decent photographers but other areas will be lacking. They’re still taking entries, presumably because there are areas which are quite under-represented.

timidwheeler

I see both Tom Baker and Colin Baker managed winning entries. Clearly a TARDIS is quite useful for landscape photography.
    Stunning photo BTW.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Beautiful

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Very nice!
    I’ve often wondered about the choice of photos on the front of many OS maps. They often a)could have been taken anywhere, and b)are really dated. I suppose b) isn’t all that important and is a bit nerdy (e.g. if any of them feature someone on a bike it’s bound to look like it came from the pages of a magazine from the early 90s) but I’ve always thought that a) was a bit odd.

stanfree
    Free Member

Well done Kit , you have some beautiful pics on your Flickr site.

Kit
    Free Member

I saw at least one in the new bunch which has a more up-to-date MTB in it 🙂 And yes, the ‘old’ cover is, I think, of Portobello Beach but it does look fairly generic from memory.

bones
    Free Member

Fantastic, well deserved!

allthepies
    Free Member

Looking at your flickr images. You’ve a good eye for a picture 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Great image, well done. Though I imagine a number of professional photographers will be weeping into their pints…

Kit
    Free Member

Thanks stanfree and allthepies! I’m getting better, I hope 🙂

@corroded I know what you mean. Saves OS a packet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done Kit, that’s something really cool to have packed away in your memory box.

manvstarmac

If you’ve entered and don’t win, a personalised map allows you to:

Centre it wherever you want
    Name it whatever you want
    Have your own photo on the cover

All for less than 20 of your British pounds

Just did this as the area I ride midweek exists in the corners of four 1:50,000 maps and planning new routes is a pain. Loved the ability to name it and have my photo too. Most definitely not in the league of the OP but a bit of fun.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nice

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Coming soon to an OS Explorer map near you…’ is closed to new replies.