Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Comic/graphic novel fans: any recommendations?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Not read a comic/graphic novel for a while and fancy “discovering” something new; anyone got any decent recs?

Enjoyed Preacher, Walking Dead (ongoing!!), and most of Alan Moore’s output to give you a guide…

ps – think I’m too old for Beano, Whizzer and Chips et al before anyone rushes to post anything like that 😆

starsh78
    Free Member

The Batman stuff is quite good!

piemann
    Free Member

The Sin City graphic novels (Frank Millar) are very good.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Frumpy the clown makes me laugh.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Fables is great, and I quite enjoyed The Exterminators. Oh, Elephantmen is worth a look too.

Beagleboy

The Watchmen?
    Wanted?
    Both reccommended to me by the good folk on here.

I really like some of the old Sandman stuff as well. Oh, and Constantine, he’s always a good read.

munkster
    Free Member

Cool, that’ll give me something to go and investigate – I’ve tried a few “pot luck” choices from Amazon recs in the past and been underwhelmed (100 bullets, Girls for example) so thought I’d ask REAL people!! You are real aren’t you, you lot and not just a figment of my furtive imagination?? 😉

ps – starsh: I tried to read “The Dark Knight Returns” and couldn’t get on with it… Am I starting in the wrong place??

B_Leach
    Free Member

I tend to stick to a lot of Vertigo titles as i’m not really big on the archetypal superhero comics, though they can be fun, e.g. Marvel Zombies and the Marvel Civil War volumes (as a side note, i give it 5-10 years and Marvel will be making a movie out of both of these, they’re already converging on the Avengers movie)

I’ve REALLY been enjoying Fables, it’s an incredible story that just keeps getting better! (just finished book 11) the Sandman is also a pretty good series to get your teeth into.

Watchmen is a damn good bit of writing, and reading it makes the movie significantly better. And a couple of more non mainstream comics being Maus and Bone are definately worth a read

oh and if you’re looking for a shorter story with beautiful visuals i can gladly recommend WE3

some of the other suggestions on this page thus far are also definitely worth a good look 🙂

willard

Hard Boiled. Actually, just about anything Frank Millar.

You could also consider the Martha Washington series, which is pretty good.

diggers
    Free Member

if you fancy something a bit ’different’

Gilesey
    Free Member

Have a look here Underground Stumbled across it on boingboing. On my to-read list.

funkynick

Maus?

American Splendor?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Currently going through Justice League of America myself, but on a different tack have you tries Maus?

mogrim

Apart from the aforementioned Watchmen and Sandman, I like V for Vendetta (lot better than the film!), The Authority (funny, with lots of gratuitous violence), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen…

kimbers

yep walking dead is excellent tv series starts on halloween and warners are doing zombie walkthroughs in a load of citys, i think its at westminster in london this wekend!

+1 marvel zombies been excellent will have to start civil war!

also cant recomend Y the last man enough
    and ex machina is good too

i am also a massive fan of the hellboy/BPRD stuff spooky funny dark twisted

you can download the 1st Y here
    http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=1736

munkster
    Free Member

Argh, too much choice now!

I may have to spend the rest of the day researching all the options and buy a couple. Damn and blast 😉

Thanks all for suggestions…

TPTcruiser

I am 75% of the way through Bryan Talbot’s Alice in Sunderland. Quality.
    Got his Grandville from the library as an actioneer.
    Sheffield Library is great for ordering the graphic novel you want rather than buying and being let down. Huge number of Manga to try too.

Beagleboy

Willard, you said the Martha Washington ‘series’. Is that the character from ‘Give Me Liberty’? Is there more than that? I want it, I want it now!

Oh, and Munkster, Give Me Liberty is a superb novel. I might have to go and re-read it now.

🙂

verses

Not read it myself yet, but Alan Moore’s new thing is Dodgem Logic

minzo
    Free Member

Top Ten by Alan Moore is awesome (can’t really go wrong with moore)
    Aldebaran by Leo (translated from the original french, some really good french comics out there, see also the Incal)
    Powers by Brian Michael Bendis (can’t recommend enough)

brick
    Free Member

The Invisibles. And most mentioned already. Oh and Global Frequency.

MushetPhoto
    Free Member

Most of my faves have been mentioned already, so apologies for repeats!

Sandman
    Ex Machina
    Walking Dead
    Any Civil War stuff
    Frank Miller Dark Knight
    A lot of other Batman stuff like Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum and Year One
    We3 is a must, as is a lot of other Frank Quitely drawn comics
    Criminal is an awesome series too

Any of those and you’ll be hooked!

gunnagofasta
    Free Member

THE BOYS!!!! end of discussion!!! just ace!

Colin-T

Charley’s War by Pat Mills and Joe Colquhoun is a work of genius

As mentioned above

Invisibles
    Top Ten (& the spin off Smax)
    The Authority
    We3
    Marvel Zombies

Also
    Frank Millar’s Daredevil run
    Brian Micheal Bendis’s Daredevil run

Kevevs
    Free Member

yep. Funkynick.

Maus -Art Speigelman
    Cages – Dave McKean
    anything by Robert Crumb.

jut for starters.

I have all the first prints of Cages (do you know how hard they were to get hold of?) signed by MrMCKean, possibly for sale.

audiophile
    Free Member

Not read any for ages but The Crow is a classic if you can find it.

Creg

My brother is really into these.

I havn’t read too many of them, but I really enjoyed the Durham Red ones

Kevevs
    Free Member

I cleared out my parents attic and found some old 2000ad’s from late 80’s early 90’s. I gave them to a guy at work that(I thought ) was into comics, he just didn’t get it (marvel, superhero shit). **** giving away stuff! That period of comics created the early me!

Try some Pat Mills stuff – Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Slaine (especially slaine), especially the Bisley stuff.

montylikesbeer

slaine

Its a great read

Northwind

Really surprised nobody’s recommended Transmetropolitan… It’s sometimes tries a bit too hard, and the art style isn’t lovely, but when it’s good it’s brilliant.

And yup, Colin-T’s spot on, Charley’s War if it came out today would still be miles ahead of most other writing so the fact that it’s as old as I am is pretty amazing.

And some Slaine is very good, not to mention utterly beautiful, but unfortunately there’s an awful lot of s**t as well and I can’t remember what’s good and what isn’t.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what’s that modern rubbish monty?

do an amazon search for Dave McKean, you’ll find something intelligent and very, very well illustrated.

montylikesbeer

just a kid at heart and an old fan of 2000ad……………….the years pass so quickly

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am currently getting amongst the akira manga. Lot more in deptht than the film. Thw frank miller batman stuff is good as is superman red son.

mogrim

The Surrogates is pretty good, too.

willard

Beagleboy, I thought they had a whole series of them. Mind you, it could be my mate buying them in singles instead of going for the big compendium.

I’ll second anything by Alan Moore. The guy has a serious skill when it comes to gripping plots.

I went through a phase of trying to collect every comic book based on the “Aliens” film. Some of them were pretty good (the “Colonial Marines” series for one), but some were not so good (“Xenogenesis”). In the end I had to to sell a lot of them on eBay to help finance buying my first house. Now I find out that they are releasing them all as collected series… May have to abuse Waterstones again…

kitchenroll
    Free Member

universal war 1 and the pro, used to work in forbidden planet in bristol but i never really liked the gn apart from those 2, i was in it for the vinyl toys and DOMO!

pedalhead
    Free Member

I miss Forever People (Bristol) 😥

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Comic/graphic novel fans: any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.