Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cotic flaremax sizing
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I’m considering buying a flaremax frame and wondered what sizes people are riding when they are between sizes. I’m 5 foot 10.5 which makes me in between a medium and a large, but the reach and stack on the medium are very similar to my chameleon which is a large and I feel comfortable on that. I’m just thinking that if I go medium will I miss out on the whole longshot thing or will the medium still be giving me it. Thanks.

kelvin

What length stem do you run on the Chameleon?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi Kelvin it’s a 50mm RF Atlas. Which I’m sure is the size that Santa Cruz run their geo at.

kelvin

I’d suggest getting a ride on a Large FlareMAX with a 35mm stem then, if you can. Running a 50mm on a medium would work fine, but isn’t really making the most of the longshot geom.

kelvin

Remember, reach measurements don’t include the stem… so more reach and a shorter stem results in your hands being in much the same position in relation to your body (but not the front wheel).

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks I am looking at their demo days now. I was thinking maybe a medium wouldn’t give me the benefits.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d agree with Kelvin.

I’m less than 5ft 8in and Sam the demo man was suggesting I might prefer a large.

moonsaballoon

I’m 5’9 and ride a medium . I had had a medium solaris before so just went with that . The standover is pretty big so if you went large i am sure you would be fine .

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys much appreciated 👍👍

swanny853

I’m 5’9.5″ and I think I’d go for the large. Certainly jumping on that size at the demo felt about right. The solaris on the other side i think I’m a little more in between- Kelvin almost certainly knows better than me but it seemed that the full sussers were a touch smaller for a given size than the hardtails.

woots787
    Free Member

5′ 10″ and super happy on the large with a 35mm stem. I run fairly narrow bars (760mm) which I think makes it seem shorter.

kelvin

I’m on a medium SolarisMAX/SodaMAX with a 35 stem, Large Rocket with a 30mm stem. I’m about 5’10” or so.

When I rode the FlareMAX, the medium felt way too short for me, in comparison. I didn’t try a longer stem on it though.

Always best to try for yourself. If you can’t, I’d go for the large and a short stem.

chiefgrooveguru

“5′ 10″ and super happy on the large with a 35mm stem. I run fairly narrow bars (760mm) which I think makes it seem shorter.”

I’ve noticed this with my bikes – my local trails preclude really wide bars from working but narrower bars made my medium frame feel too small. Going up a size those narrower bars worked great.

One other thing I found with sizing is that going from a 35 to 50mm stem made a bike that felt too big feel right! I know, it seems to make no sense because you’re moving the bars further away – but I think the longer stem stabilises the steering as you weight the bars, which gave me the confidence to move my weight forwards, which meant the bars weren’t so much of a stretch.

roverpig

I like to think I’m still 6’ but probably 5’11 and a bit really. Very happy on a large with a 35mm stem. Sizing down does seem to be kind of missing the point, but whatever you are comfortable on really.

NormalMan

Threads like this make me want a Cotic again. So miss my old one.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Well I spoke to Paul at Cotic and he recommended the large so it’s all ordered and I should pic the frame up later this week.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m a (metric) smidge under 6’ run a large SodaMAX with a 35mm stem &
    800 wide bars

When I demoed a large FlareMAX with the same size stem it felt short in comparison so I went to 45mm.

So large + 35mm sounds about right to me…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cotic flaremax sizing’ is closed to new replies.