Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Comfiest all day kneepads
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Hi there.
    Off to the Alps so need some kneepads to ride in all day.
    My current Nukeproof ones kill me after a couple of hours and that’s just riding down with very little peddling.
    Can anyone recommend any that don’t slip and are comfortable for a days riding?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bottom line is fit is personal so it can be a very expensive process of trial and error to find what works for you but for me

Rapha – super comfy and not bad protection
    Ion K-Pact – comfy and more comprehensive protection

Northwind

Yep, whichever ones fit best. There’s been a bit of a trend towards minimal protection but for comfort, IME the level of protection is barely relevant- big cushioney soft pads can be way more comfortable than low profile stiffer ones, 2 straps can be a gentler grip than one that needs to grip hard… And smaller pads tend to be more enclosing/sleevey.

For me, that meant Kyle Straits til they were discontinued then the old 661 Rage til they were discontinued and now it’s the Bliss Teams so inevitably I think they’ve been discontinued too. All pretty similar, bulky, soft pads. I lived in ’em and crashed in ’em for alps holidays and megavalanche week

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seriousrikk

Currently on the IXS Flow Evo+ as my go to pad. Good enough protection without heavyweight feel.

Also got a set of 7idp project knee which are great pads, apart from the fact they go way to far up the leg for me, and overlap bibs,liners massively. But if they are over Lycra they don’t grip and fall down.

ta11pau1

Currently on the IXS Flow Evo+ as my go to pad. Good enough protection without heavyweight feel.

IXS Carve Evo+ here, all day comfy – mine do rub the hamstring on the back of the knee but that’s only because they’re slightly too small now. I’ll be buying a set of IXS Flow zip for big days where there’s lots of climbs and pads off/pads on bits, the Carve are very grippy so are a pain to lower/pull up on every climb.

superstu
    Free Member

IXS For me too. I like the idea of pads without a sleeve at the back but they just cut into you after a while and are uncomfortable. I can wear these all day long.

chrisyork

G-form, just great pads!

mmannerr

Currently riding some lightweigt Leatt pads, no problem riding 6-7hours. Unusual sizing though – I don’t think my stick legs are size XXL when almost all XL liners and bibs are loose near knee.

ahsat

Second to the Rapha. I wear knee pads all day and these are by far the most comfortable I’ve had. Depends on the level of protection you want of course as there are beefier options.

hijodeputa
    Free Member

Ordered several pairs to try from CRC when I got my last pair. Kept the Leatt’s, goy big tree trunk legs and they were the most comfortable for me.
    Well vented for the summer too. Leatt logo looks like recycling badge is the only downside….

leegee

Scott Grenade, also have Ion K pact & POC VPD, but the Scott are the best.

blitz

Another for IXS flows

weeksy

Fox LAunchpad from about a decade ago.. tried many more since… but none as nice.

northernremedy

I hate knee pads, but the rapha ones don’t feel like they’re there. Get my vote! What people say though, fit is personal on these things.

davros

Endura singletrack lite for my nobbly bird legs.

filks

I’ve got the older version of the 7iDP Sam Hill ones that have just been reviewed on Pinkbike. Never had a pair of pads fit so well. Love them

chakaping
    Free Member

Currently on the IXS Flow Evo+ as my go to pad

+1 … and glad you could remember the model name

Would wear them in the Alps, but I’d also dig out my more chonky pads – like the Fox Launch Pro from about 10 years ago.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

For the first time ever, I wore my pads all day on a biggish XC route (36km, 1500m) yesterday. The only reason I could was that it was sooo cold I didn’t overheat like I usually do.

Basically I only usually drop the pads due to heat, not discomfort.

ION pads.

vmgscot

IXS Carve (all the variants) have been comfy for my skinny-legged self. Pop them on start of pretty much every ride and forget.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m currently on IXS flow but have ripped the material a few times so they’re pretty ratty now. They’re really comfy though and can go through the washer if you take the actual pad out.
    Some good deals on IXS pads at wiggle currently. Just ordered a pair of IXS carves to use alongside the flows.

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I bought these cos they were 1/2 price. So comfy you really don’t know you’re wearing them, but then they are pretty minimal.
    (Only XL left on the site) https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/atlas-knee-pads/p/159677?color=242304-159677&searchText=64315-1105

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Rapha for comfort – like others have said, you’re barely aware you’re wearing them. However they’re not great for protection. Not too bad as a square on hit against the kneecap (although you do end up with a pretty hexagonal pattern bruise), but any kind of sliding fall and the lycra just tears.

(the annoying bit is that the Rheon pad is removable from the knee sock for washing – great idea – however Rapha won’t sell the sock separately as a “spare part”, so if you rip one, you’re basically into a full set of new pads. I tore one of mine, and tried the “free repair” system. After a couple of months they decided they couldn’t fix it and sent me a new set of pads instead. Can’t complain about the service, but it would be simpler and quicker just to sell the lycra bits as spares)

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got a growing collection of knee pads. My main ones are IXS Flow which were something like £35 from CRC. They’re great and offer a decent level of protection & comfort (for long rides you barely know you’re wearing them). I’ve got some Scott Grenades but they’re a bit more substantial but still comfy enough for long days in the saddle. I have some Rapha ones on order too, well, that is if they ever get here. I can’t for the life of me work out how Rapha get away with a 7-10 day time gap between ordering something and them sending it to you! Still waiting for them after 10 days now.

tomnavman
    Free Member

I’m on my second pair of POC Pads, yes they are crazy expensive but they seem to just keep going – current pair must be from ~2015 and whilst showing a few battle scars the worst of the wear is the elastic is starting to come away from the velcro. Top level protection and can wear them all day without issue.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/poc-joint-vpd-2-0-knee-guard-2018/rp-prod93574

continuity
    Free Member

As everyone says, just buy the raphas already.

They are CE rated 2, which generally you only get with big proper hardshell pads from other places.

lardman
    Free Member

Dianese Trails Skins are pretty much un-noticable when they’re one.
    Might be worth trying a pair.

nedrapier

it would be simpler and quicker just to sell the lycra bits as spares)

Unless it turned out the lycra bits including the the non- slip coating, measurement, cutting and stitching was the bulk of the cost compared to the impact protection bit.

Love mine. I’ve got some Ion hardshell pads I selected out of 7 sets I stuck on the credit card. picked the comfiest sent the rest back. I originally ordered 3, but though, sod it, in for a penny, in for a pound, let’s try them all and make sure.

They’re still comfy, but just Uplift Comfy, not Each and Every Trail Ride Comfy, if you know what I mean. Heard good things about the Rapha pads on here, reviews read elsewhere said the same, bought them in the same. Bought them. worn them every ride since.

Big stack the other day, wrote off my helmet, concussion, 3 hours in A&E, cracked rib, tweaked shoulder. Didn’t really hit my knees, so can’t comment on the pads!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve bliss arg minimalist that I’m happy to wear all day on long days, day after day, for big mountain days I have a pair of solid 7idp flex knee shin things which are much more substantial but significantly less comfy to wear all day. They do however fully unfasten so are quick and easy to put on and take off without removing shoes etc, as such I take them off when I’m not descending.

nedrapier

Non-stealth ad – I’ve got some size M Rapha pads I’m due to send back. Bought S and M. Keeping the S.

I bought them in the sale last year. Can send for the £60 they cost me plus postage or meet in SW Surrey/London.

zerocool

@Northwind – I miss my Kyle Straits, still not found anything that is close to all day comfort. I bought 4 pairs when I found out they’d been discontinued. But alas they’re all gone now.

I’m tempted by the Rapha or 7IDP Sam Hill pads as only heard good things about both.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I ended up ordering some ISX Flow Evo’s which were 60% off in the sales. Will be giving them a go this week so fingers crossed. If they’re no good I might have to bite the bullet and try some Rapha’s.

duncancallum

Race face. I’ve endura ones as well but the race face ones are so comfy

bossworld
    Free Member

Piggybacking on thread – CRC’s stock in certain sizes seems a bit limited and they don’t do the Raphas. I’ve got a little bit of overhead room on a C2W voucher, does anyone have any specific suggestions for a matching knee/elbow set?

There’s a few IXS ones as mentioned here (flow evo+) which I’d shortlisted at the £35 mark

Haven’t seen any love for the Fox Racing? And Leatt’s sizing may be off (I’m 6′ 2″ and 90kg)?

Thx

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

my mates all wear the IXS guards
    I’ve got a few pairs of the fox at the moment, fox enduro d30 are definately my favourite, forget you are wearing them.
    Fox Enduro D3O Knee Guard – Black

look pretty much the same as rapha’s offering.

the new fox enduro knee sleeve d30 are comfy for more XC riding.
    both are washable as the d30 insert can be taken out..
    the enduro pro d30 are good also, but not as good under trousers. plasticky
    https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/body_protection/mtb_body_protection/fox_mtb_body_protection/fox_mtb_knee_protection/fox_racing_enduro_pro_d30_black_knee_guard?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisn4pufd_AIV1-7tCh3v0wLqEAQYCiABEgJUIfD_BwE

avoid the launch d30, a bit bulky and dig in

jonathan
    Free Member

Re Fox pads – I’ve been wearing Fox Launch Pro D3o pads for a few years. Most comfy ‘big’ pads that I’ve worn. They have a velcro on hard cap that does a great job of sliding without affecting the fit like a big cap can. The D3o pads are big too – they are very protective pads. Having properly ripped my knee open/apart I’ve just worn pads as a matter of course for the last 13 years for all MTB rides and I’ve ripped enough pads to feel the benefit of something chunky that slides a bit.

They size a bit odd, so measure legs carefully or try them on. They’re bit snug on the thigh compared to the calf fit. Always measure your legs for pads, don’t go on body size!

appltn

I got a set of Sweet Protection knee pads recently at a good discount from Stif. They’re really comfy and also stay in place very well. They’re also a big step up in protection and comfort from the Poc ones I had before.

I also tried Leatt’s Airflex hybrid pro but found them to slide around quite easily no matter which size I tried.

bossworld
    Free Member

Thank you 🙂

Northwind

continuity
    Free Member

As everyone says, just buy the raphas already.

They are CE rated 2, which generally you only get with big proper hardshell pads from other places.

It’s not very clear what Rapha are actually claiming here since they don’t list the standard. If it’s EN 1621-1 level 2 type b that’s pretty phenomenal (I don’t think they ought to meet the type b given the fairly low coverage, but that’s self-declared- arguably they have a little shin protection so could claim to be type b, extra coverage). If it’s EN17092 then level 2 type b, I think that would mean “abrasion only”- since there’s no type B for kneepads, so that’d mean they’d been tested not as a pad but as a garment. Basically that standard’s for things like kevlar motorbike jeans with no pads, they protect you from abrasion but not from impact.

But it’s hard to know. If it’s really 1621 level 2 then that’s super impressive. Sorry, I am a standards nerd.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts