Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Comet Neowise
  • scuttler

Anyone been out to see the comet? We saw it a couple of nights ago (need binoculars) but had to wait until after 2300 to find it as it’s in the lighter part of the sky**. Also cracking view of Jupiter at the mo and four Jovian moons also visible through normal binoculars. Saturn visible neighbouring Jupiter too but I need a better binoculars/telescope to see the rings. ISS was also super bright and high a couple of nights back so it’s probably still doing UK passes at the moment.

** Down and to the right of the plough / big dipper / saucepan.

Get out there people!

petec
    Free Member

went out 10 days ago…could see quite well with the naked eye, but it really becomes visible with a 3sec photo. Very impressive when you look back the next day

Also amazed at the number of people randomly walking through a field full of cows at midnight. They could of course be saying the same thing about me!

andytherocketeer

saw it a few times a couple of weeks ago, when it was visible with naked eye.

managed to see it last night with binoculars, but it’s becoming more and more difficult to see.

certainly no shortage of long exposure DSLR images out there on twitter/farcebook etc.

welshfarmer

Not seen it myself, but a buddy of mine is always posting pics up of it. Here is his latest one…

Credit: R. Haynes 2020

Drac

Yes seen it a couple of weeks ago from the bedroom window, I’m nights this week so hoping to get a better chance.

fossy

I was looking out towards the big dipper last night, but sky still too bright at 11pm. Cloudy again tonight.

martymac

Seen it at the weekend past, not visible to the naked eye at 2330, but got it with the slr.

whitestone
    Free Member

Went up to the top of the lane (we are on a steep south facing slope) two nights ago at 2300 but it was way too bright. Looked out last night at midnight but it was still pretty bright.

I think the last decent comet I saw was Hale Bopp in 1997.

scuttler

Yeah I was camping in North Wales when Hale Bopp was passing. It was very dark, very clear and very cold (internet tells me it was March) and it was truly spectacular.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I popped out at 11pm last night to look for it. Found the spot it was at but couldn’t see it, though I think I saw a very feint blurry streak when not looking directly at the spot it should have been. A fair bit of light pollution coming from the direction I was viewing it from too which doesn’t help if it is a dim object. Hopefully there will be a clear night this week and I’ll head further out to see if I can get a better view.

Awesome spectacle in the night sky at the moment too with 4 planets visible so need to head out to view that.

fossy

Blimey, was Hale Bopp that long ago – I remember that being very visible for many weeks

andytherocketeer

hale bopp was stunning – very easily seen with naked eye, even both tails

just managed to find neowise with binoculars again, but need to know pretty much where to look.  with all the other stars in sharp focus, the comet appears like an out of focus one with some fuzziness around (mostly above) it.  I really could do with some better binoculars, and also a better telescope mount (ie one that’s not broken like my current one, and ideally with automated positioning)

drewd

My wife and I went out around 11:30 on Saturday night to look for it, it was visible to the naked eye but very faint. It looked good through binoculars though.

I went out to a local hillside on Sunday night at around 11pm with the camera but it was too light. I finally managed to find it at about 11:30, but it seemed much fainter than the night before. I did manage to get a photo but I’ve not shared it online as it’s rubbish compared to what’s already online.

As already mentioned the planets look great, I saw Jupiter and 3 or 4 of it’s moons through the binoculars.

jam-bo

Could see a slight smudge with the naked eye on Tuesday evening but started to come out on a longer exposure. Would have been clearer later when it was darker but broke my tripod so got some sleep instead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Comet Neowise’ is closed to new replies.