Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)
  • Comedy that still works
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve recently revisited some of the Dave Allen skits on you tube . His humour has really stood the test of time. Favourites including “Teaching your kid the time “ and “Religion “.
    Armstrong and Miller were very good. For some reason the “Kill them !” sketches stick in the mind. I often imagine scenarios at work now where I’d happily press an intercom and utter those words…..

Cougar

I can’t think of Dave Allen without thinking about his sketch about teenagers.

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

johnjn2000

An Audience with Billy Connolly was the first sweary bit of comedy my parents let me watch in 1986 (yes, it came out in 85 pedants) I remember almost peeing myself on the sofa through not just one but most of his stories. Fast forward to 2020 and I introduced my 14yr old to it, same reaction, the guy was, and is, a genius

paton
    Free Member

racefaceec90

13thfloormonk

I have fond memories if big train, although maybe just for a couple of sketches.

Rats, was hoping I could be the first to mention Big Train. Memory is hazy but feel it fell off a bit of a cliff/took a nastier turn once Catherine Tate got involved, and yes, there were some sketches that just never worked, but my dad said exactly the same thing about Monty Python.

Not the Nine O’Clock News

This should have aged terribly but since the Tories are never far from power most of it still works brilliantly, and Gerald the Gorilla has one of my favourite ‘dad jokes’ ever “When I caught you you were absolutely wild” – 2Wild? I was absolutely livid!”

edit: apologies for Daily Motion link, fight through the ads, it’s worth it!

ocrider

Do they call it Daily Motion because by the time you’ve got through the ads you’ve already finished your poo?

Spaced is a gem. I can’t believe that Tyres is only in two episodes, he seems to be far more present in my memory of the show.

MoreCashThanDash

No one can mention the word “wild” in the house without someone responding “wild, I was livid!”

Utter, simple class

IdleJon

Rats, was hoping I could be the first to mention Big Train. Memory is hazy but feel it fell off a bit of a cliff/took a nastier turn once Catherine Tate got involved, and yes, there were some sketches that just never worked, but my dad said exactly the same thing about Monty Python.

Ming the Merciless doing the cleaning.

The staring competitions.

Fat handed t**t. (Still gets used occasionally in my house).

Prince being rounded up on the savannah.

There was loads of really good stuff in there, with lots that didn’t quite work and wasn’t always funny but just clever. (The staring competitions fall into the ‘not funny but clever’ category for me.)

nickc

The Florence Nightingale sketch on Big Train is still bloody funny.

13thfloormonk

I had forgotten so much of the genuinely great Big Train sketches, I think this was the first one I ever saw

Edit:

and can confirm this one definitely still works, snorting with laughter by the end 😂😂

Cougar

Gerald the Gorilla has one of my favourite ‘dad jokes’ ever “When I caught you you were absolutely wild” – 2Wild? I was absolutely livid!”

Heinz stole / replicated that one in a soup advert.

“Were they wild, granddad?”
    “Wild? They were furious, I’d eaten all the soup!”

desperatebicycle

Old school Tom & Jerry

As long as it’s got “Fred Quimby” on the credits 😀

The original Three Stooges make me laugh. https://youtu.be/E33qzW4Qvr8
    Also Shooting Stars – recorded the whole lot when Gold repeated them. they were still funny, especially the “clips round”

martinhutch

What is it with Vic and Bob and Masterchef?

thebibbles

Brass Eye, especially with the current media we have in this country.

CountZero

Dave Allen is guaranteed to make laugh, and always has done. Blackadder series 2 I still find highly amusing, but not so much the other series.
    Oddly enough, one programme I really ot into fairly recently, and which never fails to have me laughing out loud is QI. I know it’s not specifically a comedy format, but I do find it very funny. And informative.
    A win all round, in my humble opinion.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Does anyone remember Bruiser!? Lots of famous faces in there. Here they all are in the “Outdoor Wee” sketch…

paton
    Free Member

Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr and Spike Milligan

from The Magic Christian

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

Cougar

Did you see, there’s a sequel to that?

prettygreenparrot

Liking the love for Spaced, Green Wing, and Big Train. Obviously Father Ted. How about smack the pony? Can’t remember the last time I saw an episode but that was fun.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think the IT crowd is one that is starting to show it’s age, there is a lot of inherent chauvinisim in it (the portrayal of Jen and women being only in the office because of their attractiveness)

*whoosh*

That was the joke.

joshvegas
    Free Member

That deserves another *whoosh*

It’s basically the whole premise of the show!

bazzer
    Free Member

Inbetweeners, mainly because it’s like a documentary of teenage boys 🙂

slowoldman

Yes Smack the Pony was excellent, but with that cast it had to be.

13thfloormonk

An old sketch that comes back to me frequently when we order a curry

Some drunk Indian friends visiting the local ‘Chippy’

“Give me the blandest thing on the menu!”

“I’ll have 5 portions of chips please, don’t tell me it’s too much”

etc. etc.

Still works, just a shame I can’t remember the show!

Cougar

That was “going for an English” on Goodness Gracious Me.

Cougar

Terrible quality but the only one I’ve found that’s mostly intact:

Cougar

Slightly reworked live version:

13thfloormonk

Haha! Thanks.

“What have you got that’s not totally tasteless?”

desperatebicycle

The old Harry Enfield stuff can still bring me to tears
    So many to choose from. https://youtu.be/BDtVJiK8Lws

The Inbetweeners isn’t old! Of course it still works!

Cougar

A few people mentioned Big Train earlier. The sketch that crucified me was Simon Pegg in the cake factory. It was on YouTube for ages but I can’t find it anywhere now, just copyright notices.

slowoldman

Ah this one was one of my favourites:

13thfloormonk

The sketch that crucified me was Simon Pegg in the cake factory.

Was that the ‘so these “warmed through” buns are selling exceptionally well” sketch?

Followed by “this surfeit of cooking staff is resulting in a less good soup?”

fingerbang
    Free Member

I watched Rising Damp the other day, having never really watched it before and was surprised how funny it was

I think Leonard rossiter being a genius has a lot to do with it

Lot of hate or indifference to OFAH but still remember watching the scene when batman and robin peg it down the alley and scare off the mugger and pissin myself laughing when I was a kid

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Comedy that still works’ is closed to new replies.