Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Comedy that still works
  • Premier Icon igm

Thank you for reminding me of Black Books and Green Wing.
    Sadly it’s also reminded me of the IT Crowd.

Hadn’t been thinking about standups, but yes Dave Allen, and also Billy Connolly.

And Morecambe & Wise. Simple concepts, just superbly executed.

Premier Icon MSP

Police squad, I educated some mates to it a couple of years ago on a mountain biking holiday, they didn’t even know that the naked gun had come from a TV series.

The canned laughter on Blackadder grates with me now, even though I still think it is funny they really could do with editing out the laughter track. Porridge is still good as is yes minister and PM. Only fools and horses has aged very badly IMO. Father Ted is class.

Premier Icon P20

This thread reminded me of the series that the BBC ran to find the best sitcom, back in 2004!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain%27s_Best_Sitcom

Premier Icon DickBarton

I liked Ideal but seem to have missed the last few series and can’t find it on iPlayer and I’m too tight to pay for the boxsets.

Dad’s Army, Porridge, Red Dwarf, Father Ted, Still Game, Bottom, Only Fools and Horses (now, never really watched it when it was actually on), Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister – not seen them all but the ones I have seen have been very good. Hitch Hiker’s Guide was good, but hasn’t aged well.

Blackadder – I found the 4th series to be the best and 3rd was good, 1st and 2nd were ok, but I don’t tend to go back to them.

Fawlty Towers – I wouldn’t make time to make sure I watched it, if it was on, I’d watch but it wasn’t something I’d make sure I was sitting at the TV for.

Pretty much everything others have mentioned…

Premier Icon Kuco
    Free Member

failedengineer

No love for Green Wing?

Really enjoyed the first season of Green Wing. Mark Heap who played Dr Alan Statham was brilliant.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Not much comes to mind by way of TV.

Filmic comedy that still works is plentiful.

Going back through time:

The Odd Couple
    His Girl Friday

And these boys:

Premier Icon leffeboy

I still love the vid of Bottom live where they go off piste

Premier Icon tazzymtb

for me, stuff like mighty boosh, blackbooks, green wing, bottom, ypung ones, monkey dust and I bloomin still love mongrels, although nelson reminds me of loads of posters on here.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Really enjoyed the first season of Green Wing. Mark Heap who played Dr Alan Statham was brilliant.

And before that in Spaced.

Premier Icon sirromj

Premier Icon Gunz

Always liked Coupling.

Premier Icon reeksy

Wow, i was thinking about starting this very thread yesterday, mainly because I was wanting to see what would work for my young kids.
    Dad introduced me to Monty Python very young and my kids have enjoyed the films (Meaning of Life can wait a bit for now).
    He also used to record Red Dwarf so we could watch it together as it was on too late for me! I don’t think that aged well though.

Fast Show, Absolutely, Smack the Pony, Vic and Bob worth a revisit. Miller & Armstrong, Peep Show, Mitchell and Webb, Green Wing, Spaced, Black Adder, This is Jinsy, Mighty Boosh, Father Ted, etc, but need to curate some of this I think.

The kids like Would I lie to You. Have the Father Ted DVDs so probably try them next.

Some of Chris Morris’s stuff was genius too – I’ll never forget seeing an advert for The Day Today as a teenager and for a minute thinking it was real and my mind being completely blown.

Mark Heap was in Jam and possibly some other Chris Morris work. Hilarious.

8 Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown still works for me…

But no Rachel Riley 🙁

The re-hash of Never Mind The Buzzcocks is awful btw. IMO

Premier Icon Rich_s

The canned laughter on Blackadder grates with me now, even though I still think it is funny they really could do with editing out the laughter track

I recently saw an episode of M*A*S*H from the US with canned laughter. It was b*a*d.

Also wonder about watching Teachers again – particularly the earlier ones.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

Spaced was even better than I remembered, you can really see why Edgar Wright and the people behind it have gone on to such great things. Incredibly creative and it also reminded me why we liked Simon Pegg in the first place.

I want to give a shout out for Ever Decreasing Circles, which I watched in full a few years ago and still found very funny, as well as noticing a poignancy and quality of acting that had gone over my head as a youngster.

Obviously Father Ted is timeless because of the theme and setting, but I think Alan Partridge has aged well too – and interestingly the character first appeared on Radio in 1992, the same year that the final series of Allo Allo was broadcast.

Police squad

Is this on any of the streaming services? I’ve been itching to see it again for a while.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Free Member

Alf is silly and childish. And still makes me laugh a lot. I kill me!!

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider

The League of Gentlemen… I got it on DVD and it has canned laughter which makes it unwatchable for me. I always saw it as some sort of twisted horror story.

The Detectorists is 7 years old now. Does that count?

Premier Icon failedengineer

Nighty Night. Black as it gets ….

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC was watching Armstrong and Miller on iplayer last night – I’d forgotten how good it was, given the crap they’ve gone on to do. The posh dirty talking in the Georgian dance skits still cracks me up, as do the street talking airmen.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

The canned laughter on Blackadder grates with me now, even though I still think it is funny they really could do with editing out the laughter track

It’s far worse on Dad’s Army – sounds like people are rolling on the floor crying with laughter, side-splitting hilarity and so on for every minor visual gag. A lot of BBC comedy seems to rely quite heavily on it. Last of the Summer Wine, One Foot in the Grave and Keeping Up Appearances are just as guilty.

Would I Lie To You is consistently excellent, there’s been very few bad guests on that and it’s genuinely very funny, the ad-lib aspect works well on that and a studio audience means you get proper laughing.

Premier Icon Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Old school Tom & Jerry

Premier Icon reeksy

Oh yeah, Nighty Night was full on.
    Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place was mental.

Premier Icon Cougar

Police squad, I educated some mates to it a couple of years ago on a mountain biking holiday, they didn’t even know that the naked gun had come from a TV series.

I haven’t seen it in years so might have aged badly, but in a similar vein was Get Smart.

I was never quite sure whether that was genuinely ad-libbed or actually scripted. Genius either way though.

Premier Icon masterdabber
    Free Member

Third rock from the sun….. still works for me.

Premier Icon mrdobermann
    Free Member

Third rock was great but not seen it since the first airing. Who remembers Operation hood guys? I really enjoyed it at the time but not sure how it holds up now.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Alan Partridge and Curb are the two greatest comedies ever made

Premier Icon slowoldman

The posh dirty talking in the Georgian dance skits still cracks me up, as do the street talking airmen.

Not to mention Brabbins and Fyffe.

Premier Icon rickmeister

8 Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown still works for me…

But no Rachel Riley 🙁

But but but…

Premier Icon Matthew
    Free Member

Nathan Barley was years ahead when it came out, & lots of it seem more relevant now than when it was originally released

Premier Icon edhornby

There was a documentary on last night about Richard Pryor, hosted by Romesh Ranganathan and it was really good, talking about how comedians are very aware that RP was a messed up character with routines that talk about him being abusive yet he’s still respected in terms of the writing and delivery…

I think the IT crowd is one that is starting to show it’s age, there is a lot of inherent chauvinisim in it (the portrayal of Jen and women being only in the office because of their attractiveness). I watched them all in order a while back and it was less funny than I remembered.

Has anyone re-watched Fast Show recently?

Premier Icon Rickos
    Free Member

Mr Bean – the kids love it.

Premier Icon choppersquad
    Free Member

Green Wing still cracks me up.
    Also just watched the box set of Peep Show and it really was as good as I remembered it back in the day.

Premier Icon Mikkel
    Free Member

Married with children

Premier Icon MSP

I have fond memories if big train, although maybe just for a couple of sketches.

Premier Icon Kuco
    Free Member

I was never quite sure whether that was genuinely ad-libbed or actually scripted. Genius either way though.

I watched Bottom Hooligan’s Island and one of the off piste did look scripted but a couple did seem genuine especially when a missed timed hit by Adrian Edmondson caught Rik Mayall around the head.

Premier Icon ThePinkster

I’m amazed only one person has mentioned Early Doors. Such an excellent parody of a backstreet pub and it’s clientele. Phil & Nice, the 2 coppers were genius, especially the the skit about the forged tenners.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Just had a skip through Armstrong & Miller on YouTube. The Russian football club owner still makes my skin crawl 🤣

Premier Icon paton
    Free Member

Premier Icon RustySpanner

And these boys:

It doesn’t get any better.

Premier Icon andrewreay

Police squad

Is this on any of the streaming services? I’ve been itching to see it again for a while.

For those interested, only way I can find the Police Squad episodes is on YouTube. Quality is poor, but gags remain as good as ever.

Police Squad Episodes

The amount of brilliant satire that no longer seems funny because reality has become far more absurd is slightly unnerving:

Veep
    Day Today
    Yes Minister

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.