Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Comedy that still works
  • Premier Icon igm

Some comedy ages really badly as the Allo, Allo thread proves.

What do you think has aged well?

Can I suggest:

Porridge – ok a bit of the language is not very 2021, but the underlying humour is good.

Yes, Minister – the ties are terrible, the jokes excellent.

But what else?

Premier Icon Caher

Frasier, is still very good.

Premier Icon scud

Porridge, Black Adder and Father Ted are comedies that I can still watch, along with the earlier Only Fools and Horses.

When i watch it now i realised just how daft The Fast Show was, but i think because it was popular when i was 20/21 it still makes me laugh.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Still enjoy a spot of Red Dwarf!

Premier Icon mrdobermann
    Free Member

Fawlty towers,steptoe & son also Hancocks Half hour have aged very well. Vic and bob is timeless for me and still game is an all time favourite that I think I will happily watch in years to come.

Premier Icon rickmeister

8 Out Of Ten Cats Does Countdown still works for me…

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Not TV but I saw Simon Munnery reprise his Alan Parker character at a recent comedy festival. First saw him do this character around 1990 at university. It was superb, highlight of the weekend. Still relevant political humour.

Premier Icon tjagain

I must have had a sense of humour bypass – the only ones mentioned I found funny even at the time are Porridge and Still game – Blackadder, only fools, Fawlty towers especially purile and unfunny even then

Porridge is utterly brilliant ” a quiet night in” – how can you have half an hour of humour that is just to blokes locked in a cell overnight?

Premier Icon martinhutch

Blackadder.
    Phoenix Nights is 20 years old now…

Bottom?

Premier Icon bearnecessities

Premier Icon montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve vanished down a bit of a ‘Taxi’ hole on YouTube since that other thread. Amazing how well it’s aged.

Premier Icon supernova
    Free Member

Dad’s Army

Premier Icon vinnyeh

Reginald Perrin.

Premier Icon P20

Porridge and Yes Minister/Prime are classics. Probably my favourites. Black adder is good.

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Porridge still creases me up. Fawlty Towers used to but now It’s cringeworthy, Only Fools & Horses is still hilarious as is Dad’s Army.
    Now where’s Morecombe & Wise when you need them? & Tommy Cooper cracked me up before he even spoke!

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Porridge has always amazed me at how well it lasts, I think it’s the understated performances.
    Cheers makes for some pretty good comfort viewing!

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Free Member

Father Ted, Flight of the Concords, The Mighty Boosh, Dark Place and Black Books for me. All depends on what you find funny though I guess. Only Fools and Porridge do nothing for me

Premier Icon fazzini

The Good Life

Premier Icon binners

Everyone who’s ever worked in an office can identify with Reggie

The Thick of It looks less like like satire and more like an instruction manual nowadays. I find myself viewing everything that happens through the prism of it. Its difficult not to when you’re watching shit like this..

Premier Icon Houns

I’m sorry I haven’t a clue (ok that’s cheating a bit)

Premier Icon seadog101

No mention yet for Vicar Of Dibley?

Great characters, brilliant script.

OK, so probably not pushing the boundaries of the sit-com genre, but always watchable.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Still game

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

From things my kids laugh at – Porridge, Blackadder, Yes (Prime) Minister, Vicar of Dibley, Dave Allen, even Allo Allo, ironically enough.

I have to confess to still laughing at Friends more than is appropriate, especially the first 4 series

Edit – forgotten Father Ted!

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Spaced – watched it many many many times and still laugh at the bits I remember and still pick out new lines etc

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Partridge. Not sure about him being back on the telly but Mid Morning Matters was gold.

Premier Icon esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Still game

Hilarious! I forgot about that one! We binge watched the lot in one go I think.

Premier Icon funkrodent

OFaHorses for the win. Cracking my mono-syllabic 15yr old up at the moment. Also Slackbladder, Father Ted, Red Dwarf, Friends (I know), Spaced is a good call. Faulty Towers always. Yes Minister/Prime Minister for sure. Porridge. The Brittas Empire (not really). Aware that I’m repeating, all of the above really.

Recently watched Stir Crazy which I looooved back in the day. Not only was it painfully unfunny, it annoyed me (specifically Gene Wilder and Richard Prior running around screaming) so much I had to turn it off

Premier Icon binners

Peep show is as wrong as ever. I watched the lot again through lockdown, and it’s the work of unbridled genius

Premier Icon loum
    Free Member

15 story’s high

Pulling

Premier Icon andylc
    Free Member

Spaced, Black Books, still find the Fast Show funny after all those years, went back to Green Wing the other day when I was bored. Nuts and far too many ad breaks on More4 but still amusing.

Premier Icon Kuco

Gasman, one of the best Bottom episodes. I love where they go on about putting him on a bus.

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

re-hashed repeats aside, Currently I think HIGNFY and QI are the only properly funny things on TV.. Ranganation is also very funny on occasion.

Premier Icon onewheelgood

Black books is a good shout. I always found Only Fools and Horses tediously unfunny, and I don’t think I ever got through a whole episode without either falling asleep or going to do something else. Not that I’ve tried to watch that many episodes. Mighty Boosh was good, and Friday Night Dinner. I did laugh at Fawlty Towers but find it too cringe-inducing now. Maybe I missed it but I haven’t seen anyone mention Red Dwarf?

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

The Royle Family always ends up on in our house.

Premier Icon binners

Early Doors is always a winner too.

Premier Icon failedengineer

No love for Green Wing?

Premier Icon PMK2060
    Free Member

I only discovered ‘Still Game’ during the first lockdown. Absolutely brilliant comedy.

Premier Icon razorrazoo

Mrs Browns Boys?

Oh sorry, I though the thread was titled ‘comedy that never worked’

Premier Icon P20

Black Books and Father Ted are great shouts.
    I enjoyed some of the episodes of Coupling, some very clever writing at times.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

The League of Gentlemen, Royston Vasey.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.