• This topic has 47 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Colourway ?
  • plus-one

I think the term colourway should be used more than it is 🙂

Discuss !

DezB
    Free Member

Colourism

thepurist

The only rad colorway is murdered out, bro.

timmys

I think the term colourway should be

…killed with fire.

My scientific analysis confirms only the term “body English” is worse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I agree with Timmy.

RustySpanner

Goaway quickly.

marksnook
    Free Member

A bmxer I knew in Bristol started a zine called body English back near 2000. It was rad! Are we going to be annoyed at the word zine now?! From memory it was a black and white colourway zine…

Ignore me I’m from years ago…

avdave2

It needs to be kept, only thing getting contributions to forum posts in to double figures in an hour.
    Got keep those advertisers believing there is someone here.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

chin music is fine

scuttler

Colour scheme. If you must say ‘colorway’ there’s definitely no U in it.

Only no U if you are from the Colonies.

stewartc
    Free Member

Colorway is a perfectly cromulent word to use.

ajantom

On a par with ‘I run hot’.
    No, you mean you sweat a lot.

You mean my Dad cant say ‘This engine runs hot’ anymore? ffs

ads678

I think we should swap out colorway.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Only for the cockpit of your downcountry rig.

lucky7500

On a par with ‘I run hot’.
    No, you mean you sweat a lot.

No, it means that in situations where most people find the temperature normal or even cold, others find it quite hot.

Back on topic

I think the term colourway should be

…killed with fire.

+1 In Britain colour does fine, or colour scheme at a push!! 🙂

sirromj

Stay fluent.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like threads like these, they embiggen my vocabulary.

Bez

No, it means that in situations where most people find the temperature normal or even cold, others find it quite hot.

Surely you have to concede that “I run hot” is somewhat more concise than “in situations where most people find the temperature normal or even cold, I find it quite hot”…?

A curse on people using words in new ways, eh? Filthy heathens. If God had intended us to put words together however we wanted, he wouldn’t have arranged them all in their correct order in the dictionary.

scruff
    Free Member

Colorway is an American English phrase so it has no ‘u’.

Bez

Nor did any of a whole raft of similar words before the English started sticking the “u” in to be fashionable, and it’s perfectly normal to naturalise a word when importing it. We must have imported plenty of words that originated in the US over the past few decades which end in “-ize” but which we spell “-ise”. (Even though “-ize” is perfectly valid and, as with “o” vs “ou”, predates “-ise” in English English.) So there’s nothing wrong with “colourway”.

RustySpanner

So there’s nothing wrong with “colourway”.

Yes, yes there is.

I don’t think the Americanisation of British English is a good thing.

And there’s still a ‘u’ in favourite.
    It took biscuits to fix that one last time. 😶

joemmo
    Free Member

Keep some perspective please – none of this even comes close to the transgression that is the use of ‘of’ instead of ‘have’.

joemmo
    Free Member

I know! Next they’ll be chlorinating our Dickens.

Bez

Because…?

Aside from that there’s the discussion of what is “Americanisation” (which is a loaded term) and what is simply natural development of language, a process which over time has inevitable become less parochial. For instance (and this isn’t a great example but you get the picture) if you live in the south east of England and tend to say “hills” instead of “downs” then you’re accepting that same development—it’s just that you’re deeming it acceptable to use words transmitted across land but not those transmitted across water.

funkmasterp

Why use colourway when colour or colours does the same job with fewer words?

joemmo
    Free Member

(fewer syllables)

It doesn’t exactly though, which is why someone came up with the word and it has been widely adopted because it serves a useful purpose.

Bez

Because a colour scheme or colourway can include more than one colour, and the same product can be offered in multiple schemes/ways which include any given colour. If I offer a bike in metallic red fade with silver stars, or matte red with black bands, “colour” doesn’t really cut it.

I mean, we can and often do get by with “colour” even in these situations, and that’s fine. But it’s a bit like asking why we use “MPV” when “car” does the same job with fewer syllables: as words they’re just tools to do similar but slightly different jobs.

You don’t ask why we don’t use “hue” instead of “colour”, given that it has fewer syllables still. It’s because it means a different thing—certainly in the context of actually discussing colour rather than, say, acting as a loose synonym for the purposes of a cryptic crossword clue. Like colour and colourway, they refer to related things, but they’re not the same.

Bez

(fewer syllables)

“Why use syllables when words does the same job with fewer words?” 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

As long as bikes aren’t called “steeds”, I don’t care.

RustySpanner

Because…?

For the same reason I like different accents, languages and regional dialects.

Jakester
    Free Member

As long as bikes aren’t called “steeds”, I don’t care.

Whip? Rig?

joemmo
    Free Member

which would not have developed if anyone had had the will or means to try and tell anyone else which words & pronunciation etc. were correct and which weren’t.

You rebuff the Queens English? Burn the Heretic.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not sure which I detest more, colorway or swap out.

Don’t get me started on “off of”.

plus-one

I reckon my new bike will have a muted Colourway/Colorway/Colours/Colors etc !!

Bez

Y’know, I reckon you can probably say “colourway” in whatever accent you like. And I doubt there are any equivalent regional terms for it to displace. I think we’re safe 🙂

Bez

Don’t get me started on “off of”.

Isn’t it just an equivalent of “on to” or “in to”? Both of which have become so common as to have been contracted to “onto” and “into”.

Viz “out of”, being the opposite of “into” in the same way as “off of” is the opposite of “onto”. You’d say “get out of the car”, and “get off of the sofa” seems wholly equivalent.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Colourway ?’ is closed to new replies.