Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Colour-blind glasses?
  • stevied
    Free Member

It’s autumn and, apparently, there’s some lovely colours to see on the trees etc.
    The wife and I we looking out of the window yesterday and she was asking what colours I can see in the leaves and was amazed at how bad my colour blindness is and just how bland my world appears so..

I have a pair arriving today. I’m not expecting miracles but the reviews seem positive and I’m severe protan based on the tests and they seem to work better the more severe you are.

Anyone tried them, did they work for you?
    I’m hoping they work but not building my hopes up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I had no idea that I was color blind until I was an adult and tried to join the RAF.

Finding out was a shock.

The diagnosis came completely out of the purple.

stevied
    Free Member

tried to join the RAF.

That’s what I wanted to do too 🙁

sssimon
    Free Member

I was showing the wife and mother in law the comparison pics of what I can see versus what they see. Wife said “that’s depressing!”, which maybe explains a lot……

franksinatra

I tried some contacts years ago. I had to wear one in on eye and go for a walk around blinking between each eye to spot the difference. I was in a car park and the best way I can describe it was like every time I switched to the eye with the contact in it was like someone had cleaned all of the cars. Everything was just more vibrant.

franksinatra

What ones did you go for?

stevied
    Free Member

What ones did you go for?

Pilestone GM-2 Colour Blind Glasses

PhilO
    Free Member

Interesting… I hadn’t realised these were a thing. I don’t often notice my colour blindness, but I’m aware that I don’t see colour as strongly as many; I have happily sailed on past dayglo orange waymarkers during events in the past (which is why I always prefer yellow hi-viz!).

I see they also do clip-ons for those of us with corrective glasses already (and who don’t mind being incredibly un-cool!). Please update when you’ve tried them out! 🙂

franksinatra

I have happily sailed on past dayglo orange waymarkers during events in the past

I am glad I am not the only person who has done this!

I will also be really interested to see how things go with the glasses. Please keep us posted.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m not colourblind but I have a friend who is and he was ASTOUNDED by the world when he got some corrective lenses.

tall_martin

My brother in law was given some. He put them on in front of the family on a walk.

I’m not sure he could tell a difference, I’m not sure if he was sure about telling a difference.

I haven’t seen him wear them since. I guess mostly due to the slightly odd red lenses his pair had.

pyranha

My son has some, which has changed how he sees things in computer games quite a lot. He wears them occasionally , but they do put some extra strain on your eyes, so you can’t just put them on and keep them on – the literature Pilestone send you does say this. Whether they work is, I think, sensitive to the amount of light – so a screen, or a bright day, and they might be more effective than on a dull day (when colours are muted for all of us)

Cougar

Rose-tinted, how apt. (-:

It’s hard to see how tinted lenses could hope to ‘cure’ colour-blindness by essentially making you more colour-blind. Maybe the thinking is that by dulling your response to other colours you might be more receptive to the ones you have difficulty with?

Might help with differentiation but I think if you’re hoping to magically see colours you currently cannot, you’re going to be disappointed.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Got some, didn’t have the big oh wow moment. Haven’t kept wearing, any offers?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have some of the encroma ones and they work by filtering out some of the band of red/green that overlap on colourblindness. They don’t work for everything but do make a difference for some. Some things were quite striking in the difference, i normally really struggle to see the difference between orange and green skittles with the glasses they are markedly different. Still cant see purple though.
    Encroma have brought out strong protan ones since i got mine so they may work better.

stevied
    Free Member

Well, on 1st test they didn’t do much but as my eyes are adjusting I’m seeing lots of new colours and variations in colour.
    Due to the red lense there is a bit of pink when looking at light coloured things but the improvement in colour perception is really impressive.
    I’ve also just done the same test I did to see how bad I was and, according to the results, I now see with normal colour vision 🙂

benv
    Free Member

These type of glasses don’t actually make you see things as non colour blind people see, just enhance what you normally see a bit. If you look up some of the studies, their over the top claims have been pretty much debunked.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That’ll be you chucked out of the Paralympic snooker team  for cheating.

moonsaballoon

I didn’t know these were a thing . I have been buying odd coloured clothes for years , I even bought a purple car once thinking it was royal blue .

Are the enchroma ones worth the extra money , I realise it doesn’t fix it or probably even work that well but would love to give them a try .

stevied
    Free Member

Are the enchroma ones worth the extra money , I realise it doesn’t fix it or probably even work that well but would love to give them a try .

With the Pilestone ones I have, if they don’t work you can get a refund.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

You can also get a refund on the encroma ones as to if they are worth the extra i don’t know as they are the only ones I’ve tried. I was fortunate to be bought mine, not sure if i would get them if i was paying as there are plenty of other things i could spend the money on.

moonsaballoon

Yeah £300 is a bit much to confirm that glasgow is a bit grey in November 🙂

will give the pilestone ones a go .

filibuster
    Free Member

I’m colourblind AF and have trouble picking out green traffic lights amongst all the other lights on a typical high street.

Have thought about getting a pair of these glasses, but a friend bought a pair of encroma and ended up sending them back saying he saw no difference.

Would be interested to give them a try.

Cougar

If you’re buying on t’Internet, you can reject them within 14 days under CCR without needing a reason or “money back guarantee” from them.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

If you’re buying on t’Internet, you can reject them within 14 days under CCR without needing a reason or “money back guarantee” from them.

Encroma of 60 days no questions asked but you do need to send them back to the USA.
    If any one is local to the Southampton area then I’m happy to meet and let you try mine.
    They do show up on EBay from time to time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Colour-blind glasses?’ is closed to new replies.