• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by benp1.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Color blindness and riding
  • Premier Icon Bushwacked

Anyone else on here on the color blind spectrum?

I’ve known since I was about 14 that I’ve got some form of Red/Green colour blindness, however it’s never really affected me, well that I’ve known other than my wife and I arguing whether a coat I have is green or brown.

My wife spoilt me for my birthday and bought me some Oakley sunnies with some of those Prizm Trail lenses which are supposed to be magic, however as they are a rose/red base tint I’ve found everything goes pink and I lose all depth and the greens disappear.

So, I’m wonder if anyone else has issues along these lines. I’m looking at getting some replacement lenses for the Oakleys but not sure what tint to go for (Orange, Blue, Green or Grey) to get the best benefit.

Premier Icon franksinatra

I’m colour blind, as are around 10% of men. Its not really a big deal, apart from people asking you the colour of random objects when they find out. I’m also certain I would have become a Red Arrows pilot surrounded by adoring women if it wasn’t for my pesky eyes.

I have a lovely mug at work which has a very sweary word on it only visable to other people with colour daft eyes.

Premier Icon alpin

I’m colour blind as **&#.

Doesn’t affect me unless someone says to look out for the red dot/flag/chicken on the tree or some such.

I found riding with polarised glasses awful. Dry rocks took on a shimmering and looked wet. It was also hard to distinguish/pick out bits of the trail. Not sure if that is my eyes or a general thing with polarised lenses.

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m colour blind too ( Strong Protanomalous if you care) …..I’d go for grey.

It’s hard enough without adding coloured tints in to the mix.

Premier Icon Bushwacked

Cheers. I’ve had some yellow Photo chromatic lenses for about 10 years which have been OK but I can’t help wondering if a colour tint would “add” something albeit I know they won’t correct anything

Premier Icon alpin

Yup, clear or grey lenses in my goggles…

Now getting adverts for sunglasses that let you see colour… Anyone tried them? Mate sent me a link in the past, but they are a bit pricey.

Premier Icon koldun
    Free Member

I’m colour blind and don’t get on with yellow base lenses for riding. I suspect @perchypanther is right and it may be best to stick to grey.

Premier Icon benp1

@franksinatra – any now info on that mug? Sounds good

Colour blind here too, red green. Annoying more than anything else. I use the prizm trail and road lenses and they still work great for me

Premier Icon Bushwacked

@benp1 – Which of the two do you prefer (Road and Trail?) I notice the base tint is slightly different.

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

I have a lovely mug at work which has a very sweary word on it only visable to other people with colour daft eyes.

Ooh intersting, how does that work then?

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

I had no idea that I was color blind until I was an adult and tried to join the RAF.

Finding out was a shock.

The diagnosis came completely out of the purple.

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not colour blind but I don’t like tinted lenses of any description all the same, if that helps at all!

Premier Icon Wally

Ishihara colour blind test book is a lesson I do and you do have to be VERY sensitive, it always picks up a kid with no prior clue that they might be colourblind.The fact that you can see numbers and lines clear as day that normal correct vision can’t see is really amusing.
    I heard but might be incorrect that in Second World War aerial photo’s were passed over a colourblind person for this reason.
    Personally I never ever think in colour, only in shape. I have to really concentrate to think what colour it might be.
    normal vision wife (no history’s)and daughter means poor mite is a granteec carrier of my duff Allele on my X chromosome.
    My mum carried her Dad’s colourblind gene. Apparently her parents house was all extremely bright and garish.

Premier Icon beej

Random tip for colour blind people, Windows 10 has various colour filters that can help, under accessibility settings.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“some of those Prizm Trail lenses which are supposed to be magic”

I had some of those and I found them a nightmare in the woods. Instead of the increased contrast helping it made all the detail in critical spots disappear. I don’t think I’m colour blind although my wife and I do disagree on the colour of bluey greens and greeny blues.

Premier Icon Bushwacked

@Beej – Tried that just now and all the colour washed out. Weird.

@Chiefgrooveguru – Same – felt like I was in a black and white TV

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

I just replaced the Oakleys with some Evan’s own brand polarised sunglasses with red mirror dark tint, for bright open days. But in the woods I don’t bother with anything.

Premier Icon benp1

@bushwhacked – if I had to pick between the prizm lenses I’d pick trail but sadly spend more of my time commuting on the road so the road lens gets more day to day use

Road is more like normal sunglasses. Trail seems much lighter

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

The fact that you can see numbers and lines clear as day that normal correct vision can’t see is really amusing.
    I heard but might be incorrect that in Second World War aerial photo’s were passed over a colourblind person for this reason.

Got any more info on this?

Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

Tick…
    I’m colour blind so interested in that mug and the comment about the Ishihara test!

Premier Icon sobriety
    Free Member

My dad is properly Red/Green colour blind, I’m slightly the same as I regularly have arguments over weather clothes are green or brown, despite passing the colour blindness tests.

I got him a mug that said “f*ck the colourblind” only in a colour blind test wheel so that he couldn’t read it.

He used to tell people I’d told him it said “world’s best Dad” and watch their reaction.

Premier Icon benp1

My team keep telling me about the glasses which give colour blind folks colour sight

Pricey. Reviews seem good but they might be marketing

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.