Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2019
  • TheSanityAssassin

Entries are are now being encouraged for the 16th annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 12th May 2019 at 9.00am.

The FULL course is a challenging one (as you’d expect) and consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield – regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is. We also have an optional SHORTER course OF 20 miles for anyone that could find the full route a bit too much.

The cost of entry is £20 pre-booked (online entry available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk ) and £25 on the day – although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand STILL at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub – The Walkers Arms – situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up – it’s a 30 mile (or 20 mile) challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully ‘catered’ and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won’t find a better day out in this area on the 12th May. Come and give it a go – you’ve nothing to lose and we’re absolutely certain that you’ll be well looked after and have a great time.

+++ NOW WITH ADDITIONAL E-BIKE OPTION TOO +++

jaylittle
    Free Member

Did the 20 miler last year and really enjoyed it. Will check my diary for this year.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

At last! A ride that falls on a day off! Booking that later.

TheSanityAssassin

Just 4 weeks to go now – get yourselves over to the Website and get your online entry sorted sharpish!

TheSanityAssassin

10 days to go. It’s worth entering just for the bacon butties that are STILL only £1.00!!

TheSanityAssassin

Still time to enter online before tomorrow night’s deadline.
    Choice of 20 or 30 mile route and e-Bikes are welcome too.
    Click here ENTER

kittyr
    Free Member

Looks like a great event, i’ll bookmark for next year!

mos

Already entered, this will be my 5th Year.
    From my experience, dry weather seems to be included in the entry as well, looks like another good forecast for Sunday.

TheSanityAssassin

Online entry is now closed – but you can still enter on the day for £25.00.
    Please arrive early as parking is all on-street and increasingly awkward. Make use of the side streets both above and below the venue where possible.
    See you in the morning.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cant wait for tomorrow now. Really looking forward to it.

timbog160

A couple of pics from this mornings start…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Any news on the lad who was taken ill at the finish? Didn’t look good, air ambulance, paredics doing resuss.

StuE
    Free Member

It seemed a bit surreal to be sat enjoying a post ride pint while the paramedics worked to save the guys life,fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I was one of those administering CPR prior to the paramedics arriving.
    We had no response from the guy for all the time we were working on him and it took the paramedics quite a while and numerous shocks to get a pulse.
    Once he was relatively stable he was airlifted to Leeds.
    Paramedics were reasonably optimistic but it’s unlikely we’ll ever know the outcome.
    Please be aware that the Examiner piece is typical of their journalistic standard and has many, if not all, the details wrong.

Fingers crossed that he makes a good recovery.

timbog160

Well done – it sounded pretty difficult and fingers crossed…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Poor sod. Hope he’s okay.
    You’re a true gent for helping.

TheSanityAssassin

As an event organiser, here’s something that you think you’ll never have to write:
    It is with great regret that I have to inform everyone that the gentleman who was taken seriously ill with a cardiac arrest after the event on Sunday sadly passed away in hospital. Apparently he never regained consciousness and, despite remedial surgery, he suffered a further arrest and drifted away at around 11.00pm on Sunday night.
    Ken Witham was 62 years old, but loved adventure and a challenge. He had recently beaten cancer into remission and was keen to get back to peak fitness and resume the outdoor activities that he loved so much.
    Ken’s family told me that he was a deeply private person, but very generous of nature, often helping charities local to his home in Rugeley, Staffordshire. It is some comfort to them that Ken passed away doing one of the activities that he loved so much.
    The family would like to pass on their heartfelt gratitude for all the help he received and the tireless efforts of those that performed CPR to keep him going until the medical professionals could stabilise him enough ready for the airlift to hospital.
    All at the CVMBC pass on our deepest condolences to Ken’s family following such a tragic turn of events at the weekend. Rest in Peace Mr Whitham.

scuttler

Bummer. Flippin good effort to everyone who helped (name check dangerousbeans) and condolences to friends and family.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Very sad news indeed.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that Jonny – I helped a guy who had a heart attack a couple of years ago. We were cycling by and two blokes were kneeling on the ground. Their father in law had ended their bike ride and just dropped down. He was in his early 50s and while I don’t know the outcome I’d be amazed if he survived. We pumped him and shocked him but I don’t think it was to much avail.

The message behind this is that it can just happen, if it wasn’t the CVMBC it would probably have been another bike ride. Don’t beat yourself up about it, I’ve seen how well this event is run.

Condolences to his family – while he was doing something he loved, that’s no age.

timbog160

Sad news RIP

timbog160

Had my usual ride out this morning which follows the first miles of the route. Had a few moments of quiet contemplation in memory of Ken given that today should have been this years event. RIP Ken!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2019’ is closed to new replies.