Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Collective term for those going 1*11, etc.
  • scotroutes

HL&S

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

#Legends.

tjagain

You would have been disappointed scotroutes – after all you make me quiver 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Time travellers? Didn’t we all do this about 3 years ago

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

In hindsight, i should have grabbed 1×10 bargain bits as i came across them last year, given how the value of the pound has tumbled since that crazy vote of my lifetime.

Financially, I’m feeling locked into 8-speed on the Wazoo now. There was that bargain XT shifter pair for £40 recently, but who knows how long it would take to get all the other bits without breaking the bank.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Humungaschlongedsexmachines?

monkeyboyjc

#singles?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If we’re bring true to the sense ‘Judgemental’

twicewithchips
    Free Member

one-anists?

andytherocketeer

what scotroutes sid up there somewhere^^
    except it’s a stable for bikes/steeds, not a quiver. quiver is a collection of N=N+2 skis
    have 1x, 2x, 3x, no tubeless, dropper, no dropper, 26, 650b, and 700c.

Apparently, only one of my bikes is acceptably “right” (nearly).

Rubber_Buccaneer

one-anists?

Best answer so far for me 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

for all things like this, wheel size, tubeless, dropper posts, drivetrain etc

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9wyy0S3dg[/video]

nickfrog
    Free Member

I had no idea there was so much anti 1X. I see words like “rich”, “fashion victims”, “gullible”, “sheep”,

WTF ??? It says much more about the ones using those words than anything else.

Rich ? Cycling stuff is cheap as chips and the move is sometimes cost neutral anyway (it was for me when I first did it 7 years ago).

It really is simple : it works for me on ALL levels for MY riding. I have no issues whatsoever with anyone using more than 1 ring so why can’t that work the other way around.

Each to their own is a very very simple concept to understand.

mattyfez

3×9 here, to be honest I could get away with 2×9 or maybe 2×10.

That said I go through a cassette about once a year, so an ultra trendy 1×12 just wouldn’t make financial sense given how eye wateringly expensive they are.

Why are they so expensive, it’s just an extra sprocket or two?

andytherocketeer

Cycling stuff is cheap as chips

I have one groupset (funnily enough the 1×11) that cost more than one of my bikes. And it’s only XT. Not one of the eye watering priced ones where the cassette costs half the price of a bike.

sirromj

Rich ? Cycling stuff is cheap as chips

Seems you’re answering your own question there.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That said I go through a cassette about once a year, so an ultra trendy 1×12 just wouldn’t make financial sense given how eye wateringly expensive they are

My XX1 cassette is coming up to 3 years old & has about 6000km on it. The steel bit still looks new & will take a new chain. The 42T big ring I can replace separately.

You could say it’s expensive because it’s very light & lasts a very long time.

NormalMan

1×5 with short stem, wide bars and slack HA (at least it seemed) back in ’86.

Oh yes that Raleigh Maverick was wwwaaayyyy ahead of its time!

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m so anti 1x I’m going to run a triple up front with Sram eagle..
    36 gears!

😀

tomhoward

36 gears!

1000% range… assuming 22-32-44.

Northwind

“Fit/strong enough”
    or
    “bad at adjusting front mechs”

mattyfez – Member

That said I go through a cassette about once a year, so an ultra trendy 1×12 just wouldn’t make financial sense given how eye wateringly expensive they are.

I don’t really know why, but I find 1x cassettes wear slower. Not just posh SRAM super-cassettes, even my expanded XT setups on the other bikes outlive a normal XT cassette by a good chunk. The only thing i can think of is that the mud clearing is massively better, it spares them a lot of grinding… But it’s a bigger difference than I’d expect from that really, that doesn’t feel like the right explanation.

With my 1×11 SRAM, it’s miles better than any previous cassette I’ve used, in the same use it’s lasted about twice as long as I’d expect from XT. So I think it’ll work out not actually much more expensive. Admittedly I’m paranoid about maintenance!

mattyfez

My XX1 cassette is coming up to 3 years old & has about 6000km on it. The steel bit still looks new & will take a new chain. The 42T big ring I can replace separately.

You could say it’s expensive because it’s very light & lasts a very long time.

That’s fair enough if they last, but they don’t make that clear in the marketing.

I just look at the price of the cassettes, shifter and derailleur, and go ‘nope!’

Weird quotage going on, the forum still not fixed?

nickfrog
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – Member
    Cycling stuff is cheap as chips

I have one groupset (funnily enough the 1×11) that cost more than one of my bikes. And it’s only XT. Not one of the eye watering priced ones where the cassette costs half the price of a bike.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST
    sirromj – Member
    Rich ? Cycling stuff is cheap as chips
    Seems you’re answering your own question there.

A SLX 11-speed cassette is £40 after discount and cash back. (£53 for XT)
    A Sunrace 10-speed 11-42 cassette is £40 too.

I appreciate that the word “rich” is subjective but we are probably talking at cross-purposes here.

Surely those costs are not exactly crippling, or maybe I have been evolving in a very privileged socio-demographic environment without realising.

“Only XT” : I thought XT was near the top ??

Very odd stuff going on here !!

andytherocketeer

and SRAM managed to make a cassette costing 3 figures
    my groupset was about 500, bike less.
    500 is not what I call cheap, and yes XT might be 2nd top of Shimano (mechanical) range, but SRAM have managed to make 4 groupsets higher than or equal to that, so 4 figure sum is very easily attainable (also for Di2).

I can afford it. Every single component on all 5 bikes have always been new. But I don’t call things cheap as chips. Specially not cassette prices that practically doubled going from 9 to 11sp.

Northwind

andytherocketeer – Member

and SRAM managed to make a cassette costing 3 figures

Hardly a first. But just because there are expensive parts doens’t mean you have to buy them. £40 for SLX is pretty close to what it cost for 9-speed SLX when that was new (and of course that was several years ago, inflation and exchange rates are price drivers too)

nickfrog
    Free Member

+1 – odd, very odd stuff.

T1000
    Free Member

Profit margin

jekkyl

TCORs
    Trail Centre Only Riders

Northwind

A trail centre only rider and her trail centre only bike

nickfrog
    Free Member

TCORs
    Trail Centre Only Riders

Why ? I have been riding x1 for many years yet I have never been to a trail centre.

This is getting more and more bizarre!

toby1

one-anists?
    Best answer so far for me

I was hoping this hadn’t gone already – I’m way too late to the party!

For my 2p, I have a mate who rides 1 up front, it works really well for him, but he weighs flip all so it’s easy to live with the limited lower end gears. I weigh lots so have 2. I don’t really think either of us are one-anists, merely different. Weird eh!

ads678

The thing that makes me laugh about all this is that the 1x* users think everyone should be 1x ists and that having a front mech is wrong or backward.
    But if someone has a perfectly good set up that they’re happy with and isn’t broken or worn out, why should they fork out for a new set up? Regardless of whether it’s ‘better’!
    I’ve got a 1×10 mtb and a 2×10 mtb and like them both equally.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The thing that makes me laugh about all this is that the 1x* users think everyone should be 1x ists and that having a front mech is wrong or backward.

I haven’t seen any 1X* users do any of this in this thread.

I have only seen quite literally the opposite in this very thread. Non-1x* users calling people they don’t know “rich”, “fashion victims”, “trail centre only riders”, etc…

Most bizarre thread.

ads678

maybe not in this thread, but you don’t need to look very far though….

cookeaa

They do?

I mean yes, 3x is a bit “backwards”, essentially multiple chainring drivetrains are a hangover from when MTBs first appeared and there were no mountainbike specific drivetrain parts, so what we got were essentially just touring cranks and cassettes…

Times moves on, and is it any wonder that as cassette ranges increased people started trying to simplify things a little by tailoring the gearing range more to their current use and eliminating any unused components?

But I am more than willing to accept 2X and 3X drives work and are useful, winching a laden bike up a bloody great Hill is substantially improved by the ~17″ gear that having a granny provides…

plus-one

Elitist

Show off

Inadequate 😀

nickfrog
    Free Member

maybe not in this thread, but you don’t need to look very far though….

Why on earth would you look for stuff like that ?

How weird can a thread get?

kayak23

Cba

Steve77
    Free Member

Mechxiteers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wannabe Downhillers
    Mountain Rescue’s Worst Nightmare

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Collective term for those going 1*11, etc.’ is closed to new replies.